Author Topic: De'Andre Hunter  (Read 3732 times)

Re: De'Andre Hunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 12:31:22 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I’d love Hunter. Great versatile forward.

Dunno if the Hawks want to get rid of him for Smart, given how cost-controlled he is. Reddish might be more readily available
Don't think he'll ever become an All-Star, cause he can't consistently create his own shot. I view him as an elite 3+D type of prospect who can put the ball on the floor a little bit. That's a very useful role player for a contending team or an empty stats guy for a lotto team. He's also kind of old for a second-year prospect. I mean, he turned 23 last December. How much better can he get? Fwiw, Smart is 26 (almost 27).

You think we need to add more value? If so, what would be fair value for Hunter in your book?
I think a straight swap would somewhat make sense for both sides, but it's difficult to see Atlanta not want more due to Hunter's contract situation and age (he's still a sophomore, if he grows into an Iggy type of player that's a level better than what Smart brings to the table). Imo something like Smart + Semi + a 1st and a couple of 2nds for Hunter and Dunn would be reasonable for both sides.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 06:55:57 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Dunno if the Hawks want to get rid of him for Smart, given how cost-controlled he is. Reddish might be more readily available
Don't think he'll ever become an All-Star, cause he can't consistently create his own shot. I view him as an elite 3+D type of prospect who can put the ball on the floor a little bit. That's a very useful role player for a contending team or an empty stats guy for a lotto team. He's also kind of old for a second-year prospect. I mean, he turned 23 last December. How much better can he get? Fwiw, Smart is 26 (almost 27).

You think we need to add more value? If so, what would be fair value for Hunter in your book?
I think a straight swap would somewhat make sense for both sides, but it's difficult to see Atlanta not want more due to Hunter's contract situation and age (he's still a sophomore, if he grows into an Iggy type of player that's a level better than what Smart brings to the table). Imo something like Smart + Semi + a 1st and a couple of 2nds for Hunter and Dunn would be reasonable for both sides.
Our valuations aren't that far apart. I mean, we are talking about a pick in the mid/late 20s and a couple of 2nd rounders.

Alternatively, we could include Romeo in the deal instead of Semi. Assuming we trade for Hunter, chances are Romeo would never become a regular starter for us (barring injuries). Imo, both your proposal and the Romeo proposal would have been an overpay though. Don't think I'd pull the trigger. I'm still relatively high on Romeo.

(click on image to enlarge)

Considering how Andre Iguodala made an All-Star team and was snubbed from All-Star selections for most of his prime in the vein of the bolded (swapping out elite shooting for really good passing), I don't see why Hunter couldn't follow in his footsteps and actually get recognised for the impact that a player who excels in that role can bring to high level teams.
Fair enough. For the record, Iggy was an elite defender in his prime. Don't think Hunter will ever become as good a defender as prime Iggy.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:33:12 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 12:07:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Our valuations aren't that far apart. I mean, we are talking about a pick in the late 20s and a couple of 2nd rounders.

Alternatively, we could include Romeo in the deal instead of Semi. Assuming we trade for Hunter, chances are Romeo would never become a regular starter for us (barring injuries). Imo, both your proposal and the Romeo proposal would have been an overpay though. Don't think I'd pull the trigger. I'm still relatively high on Romeo.

(click on image to enlarge)

Considering how Andre Iguodala made an All-Star team and was snubbed from All-Star selections for most of his prime in the vein of the bolded (swapping out elite shooting for really good passing), I don't see why Hunter couldn't follow in his footsteps and actually get recognised for the impact that a player who excels in that role can bring to high level teams.
Fair enough. For the record, Iggy was an elite defender in his prime. Don't think Hunter will ever become as good a defender as prime Iggy.
I would hold on to Romeo, I think there's a two way wing in there if he gets healthy. I do think that trading those picks would be a fair deal though, those picks aren't super valuable considering how young and good our team is.

I agree, but I do think that Hunter has the potential to be a better offensive player than Iggy with his shooting and ability to be a good tertiary piece if he hones his on-ball skills more.

Jaylen Brown for All-NBA