Author Topic: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry  (Read 13934 times)

Re: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 12:04:57 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Embiid vs Horford
 Saric vs Morris
 Covington vs Tatum
 Reddick vs Smart
 Simmons vs Rozier

76ers group of giant white shooters have been on fire.  Bellineli, Illyisova, Reddick, Saric and throw in Covington and that's a lot of good shooting to deal with.

Celtics hopefully counter with a healthy Jaylen Brown and newly discovered lock down defender the Nigerian nightmare Semi, and Of course big d Baynes.

Merely an overture prior to the epic multi-year opera that will potentially be:

Embiid vs Horford
Saric vs Tatum
LeBron vs Hayward
Kawhi vs Brown
Simmons vs Kyrie

... I have a genuine fear that Philly offers up a package of Covington + #10 + Fultz for Kawhi Leonard this Summer and uses the cap space to add LeBron.

I said over a year ago that Philly was a wildcard Bron destination contingent on Embiid/Simmons getting healthy, those two living up to expectations, and the team flirting with the playoffs.  I was laughed at.  It doesn't seem so far-fetched now. 

This rivalry is just beginning.

Thank God Embiid appears to be content with the current roster and presumably doesn't want LeBron to join the team. I applaud embiid for actually being a man I'm sure the front office would take LeBron though.

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 12:05:34 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We need to pick a young big with potential fast lol
I think we can grab Okafor or Noel this Summer for one of Kyrie's flat earth pamphlets if we're looking for a young reclamation project.  Beyond that, we're looking at like a 2% chance of ending up with the #2 or #3 pick during this year's draft... or we can just hope the Kings are garbage still next season and someone is available in the 2019 draft when/if that pick conveys to us.

There's still a highly improbable nightmare scenario where the Laker pick defies the odds and ends up #1 in the lotto - conveying to the 76ers.  And then next year, the Kings pick ends up #1 - and also conveys to Philly.  In which case, we'd be looking at getting Philly's 2019 #25-30 pick.

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I think we can grab Okafor or Noel this Summer for one of Kyrie's flat earth pamphlets if we're looking for a young reclamation project.  Beyond that, we're looking at like a 2% chance of ending up with the #2 or #3 pick during this year's draft... or we can just hope the Kings are garbage still next season and someone is available in the 2019 draft when we/if that pick conveys to us.

There's still a highly improbable nightmare scenario where the Laker pick defies the odds and ends up #1 in the lotto - conveying to the 76ers.  And then next year, the Kings pick ends up #1 - and also conveys to Philly.  In which case, we'd be looking at getting Philly's 2019 #25-30 pick.

I am sure both Noel and Okafor would love to come to Boston to reform there value, see Evan Turner. They'd love to follow in those footsteps.

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Embiid vs Horford
 Saric vs Morris
 Covington vs Tatum
 Reddick vs Smart
 Simmons vs Rozier

76ers group of giant white shooters have been on fire.  Bellineli, Illyisova, Reddick, Saric and throw in Covington and that's a lot of good shooting to deal with.

Celtics hopefully counter with a healthy Jaylen Brown and newly discovered lock down defender the Nigerian nightmare Semi, and Of course big d Baynes.

Embiid vs Horford
Saric vs Tatum
LeBron vs Hayward
Kawhi vs Brown
Simmons vs Kyrie

... I have a genuine fear that Philly offers up a package of Covington + #10 + Fultz for Kawhi Leonard this Summer and uses the cap space to add LeBron.

I said over a year ago that Philly was a wildcard Bron destination contingent on Embiid/Simmons getting healthy, those two living up to expectations, and the team flirting with the playoffs.  I was laughed at.  It doesn't seem so far-fetched now. 

I dont think SA is going to bite. They are going to get a lot more offers.

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 12:14:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Embiid vs Horford
 Saric vs Morris
 Covington vs Tatum
 Reddick vs Smart
 Simmons vs Rozier

Embiid vs Horford
Saric vs Tatum
LeBron vs Hayward
Kawhi vs Brown
Simmons vs Kyrie

This is where I'm at. San Antonio will definitely get better offers than that. Philly would have to add Saric to get their offer heard
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 12:14:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Embiid vs Horford
 Saric vs Morris
 Covington vs Tatum
 Reddick vs Smart
 Simmons vs Rozier

Embiid vs Horford
Saric vs Tatum
LeBron vs Hayward
Kawhi vs Brown
Simmons vs Kyrie

Realistically, who is going to offer more than that if Philly hypothetically offered Covington + Fultz + #10? 

Few teams can outbid that.  The ones that can outbid it might be concerned about taking on Kawhi given the weirdness of his situation this season and contract status.  I'm not sure Philly would even need to include Fultz... they might be able to do it with Saric instead.  If I'm Boston, I wouldn't be totally comfortable offering up Brown + the necessary salary to take back Kawhi.  I sure as heck wouldn't feel comfortable offering up Tatum in a package for him. 

Lakers are one team that comes to mind.  They can put together a package for Kawhi and still sign Paul George and LeBron. 

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 12:17:05 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
What’s it like being so right?

Now, look... I respect the hell out of my bubble tea guy.  He knows his stuff.

Glad to see you back. This board hadn't gotten a guffaw out of me in quite some time. Thanks for that. As for your prognostications, let's hope you're wrong and we don't end up locked in as the second-best team in the East for the foreseeable future.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 12:18:34 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I think we can grab Okafor or Noel this Summer for one of Kyrie's flat earth pamphlets if we're looking for a young reclamation project.  Beyond that, we're looking at like a 2% chance of ending up with the #2 or #3 pick during this year's draft... or we can just hope the Kings are garbage still next season and someone is available in the 2019 draft when we/if that pick conveys to us.

I am sure both Noel and Okafor would love to come to Boston to reform there value, see Evan Turner. They'd love to follow in those footsteps.
We can probably grab one of them for the MLE, right?  Both had worst-case scenario seasons.  Hard to imagine anyone offering more than that.

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 12:22:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

We can probably grab one of them for the MLE, right?  Both had worst-case scenario seasons.  Hard to imagine anyone offering more than that.
Assuming both would be willing to take the MLE, who would you prefer?

Would Monroe be considered too? Monroe and Noel are (to me at least) far and away better than Okafor

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 12:26:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Would Monroe be considered too? Monroe and Noel are (to me at least) far and away better than Okafor
Probably Okafor. I think there were reports on Noel having personality issues. Also @LarBrd we can draft a big with our own 1st in hopes of a Capela like guy, there are some interesting big man prospects in that range like Metu.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 12:28:54 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Noel might be a little headcasey, but I'm still intrigued by the possibility of adding his defensive ability.  There's a chance he could be our Clint Capela if he can fit in the system. 

That dude reportedly turned down a 70 million dollar extension from Dallas, because his agent (Happy Walters) convinced him he could get more on the open market.

It's the same agent that apparently convinced Marcus Smart to turn down our offer over the Summer.  This was right after Smart had shot out of his butt for the preseason.  Smart had changed his shooting form an inexplicably he was shooting like 60%/50%/80% in his preseason games... my guess is Boston was offering him something in the 3 year 30 mil Andre Roberson territory and Smart was hoping for something in the 4 year 80 mil Gary Harris territory. 

Noel and Smart oughta set up a class action lawsuit against Happy Walters.    Gonna be super interesting to see what kind offers those guys get this Summer. 

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2018, 12:29:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Probably Okafor. I think there were reports on Noel having personality issues. Also @LarBrd we can draft a big with our own 1st in hopes of a Capela like guy, there are some interesting big man prospects in that range like Metu.
Okafor over Monroe and Noel? I'd probably take Monroe over both, but I love Moose.

I'd love to see us move up a bit and take Mitchell Robinson, but I can't see that happening

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 12:32:25 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Meh. Will be an interesting series to watch, but hard to call this a "Re-ignition" when we're playing with half a team.

Like so many of the series that Professor Parquet writes about
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2018, 12:33:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Okafor over Monroe and Noel? I'd probably take Monroe over both, but I love Moose.

I'd love to see us move up a bit and take Mitchell Robinson, but I can't see that happening
I'd love Robinson too but I think teams like San Antonio or the Lelkers would pick him, they need a big and are great drafters. Heck Metu may get drafted early too.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2018, 12:35:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'd love Robinson too but I think teams like San Antonio or the Lelkers would pick him, they need a big and are great drafters. Heck Metu may get drafted early too.
If only the Lakers had been slightly worse. Would have loved Mo Bamba on this team. Amazing defender, promising offensive game and seems very clever - him and JB would have gotten along I imagine