Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 28410 times)

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
(My Thoughts As Of 2/4)

It’s unfortunate, but he doesn't want to be here according to his list and his dad has echoed similar feelings. So be it.

I still love this team and feel confident Danny can make some stuff happen to help in the future even if AD is no longer possible. We’d still be a young team building for the future post-Warriors dominance.

And honestly the Lakers giving up 7 players and their entire youth core for AD screams desperation lol. Either way our focus should be on the East and getting to the Finals, not what the Lakers do. Why worry about them now?

And lastly, I love Ainge and know he takes risks, but man if he trades Tatum and possibly Smart or Brown as well in a package for AD without a commitment, YIKES. Way too risky. Could have catastrophic consequences and look embarrassing if he does an AD trade and he bolts for LA anyways in 2021.

I want AD too but I don’t understand the notion that we’re doomed if we don’t get him. We still have a great team to build with around Tatum + Brown and many other young guys, and we’ve still likely got 1-2 high picks coming in the next few years. Hopefully Kyrie sticks around too.

Idk what will happen in the next few days but if the Pelicans agree to that trade with the Lakers, so be it. I actually think the Lakers would be foolish to trade 7 guys for him + Hill ($$$) to have some 2 year contention window with an aging Lebron, AD, Hart + likely no bench.
i put no value in Davis allegedly not wanting to play in Boston. That’s nothing but spin.  They just want to avoid this being delayed for 5 months.  I explain it in this 5 minute video:  https://youtu.be/-VFuQ9IuTOE

I put even less value in what his dad allegedly wants.  That’s a hilarious non-story.

Larbrd33's 2 recent videos on YouTube about AD are important viewing for this board, IMO.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
(My Thoughts As Of 2/4)

It’s unfortunate, but he doesn't want to be here according to his list and his dad has echoed similar feelings. So be it.

I still love this team and feel confident Danny can make some stuff happen to help in the future even if AD is no longer possible. We’d still be a young team building for the future post-Warriors dominance.

And honestly the Lakers giving up 7 players and their entire youth core for AD screams desperation lol. Either way our focus should be on the East and getting to the Finals, not what the Lakers do. Why worry about them now?

And lastly, I love Ainge and know he takes risks, but man if he trades Tatum and possibly Smart or Brown as well in a package for AD without a commitment, YIKES. Way too risky. Could have catastrophic consequences and look embarrassing if he does an AD trade and he bolts for LA anyways in 2021.

I want AD too but I don’t understand the notion that we’re doomed if we don’t get him. We still have a great team to build with around Tatum + Brown and many other young guys, and we’ve still likely got 1-2 high picks coming in the next few years. Hopefully Kyrie sticks around too.

Idk what will happen in the next few days but if the Pelicans agree to that trade with the Lakers, so be it. I actually think the Lakers would be foolish to trade 7 guys for him + Hill ($$$) to have some 2 year contention window with an aging Lebron, AD, Hart + likely no bench.
i put no value in Davis allegedly not wanting to play in Boston. That’s nothing but spin.  They just want to avoid this being delayed for 5 months.  I explain it in this 5 minute video:  https://youtu.be/-VFuQ9IuTOE

I put even less value in what his dad allegedly wants.  That’s a hilarious non-story.

Larbrd33's 2 recent videos on YouTube about AD are important viewing for this board, IMO.

I was planning on checking them out this afternoon (currently in classes lol - also missing Pats parade because of them too ugh)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Part of me just wants AD to go wherever by the trade deadline so the Celtics can move on with their lives. I like this team and it seems like we're finally gelling and playing hard most games/not giving up games to lesser teams.

Let's just see what happens by the trade deadline. Let LA destroy their team to still have no chance at a championship.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It does bother me a little that he's fine playing for the dumpster-fire Knicks or the small-town Bucks but not Boston.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It does bother me a little that he's fine playing for the dumpster-fire Knicks or the small-town Bucks but not Boston.

I don't think he's legit considering the Bucks. I believe them and the Clippers found their way onto this list because they don't have the assets to actually pull off a trade. It's a ploy by Rich Paul and co. to make it seem like AD is open to playing for a team other than the Lakers without the possibility of one of those teams being able to acquire him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 12:07:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This I think more than anything is a Danny Ainge image problem.  This is a GM that is great, but at the same time very ruthless.  He has constantly stated his position on trading players while they still have value and he has traded the face of the franchise on 4 separate occasions (Walker, Pierce, Rondo, Thomas).  Anyone that signs a contract in Boston has to realize he has a very good chance of not seeing the end of that contract.  You can't live by the moniker of Trader Danny without eventually facing backlash for your lack of loyalty.  Plus you have Irving who is publically waffling a bit (he could have just doubled down on re-signing but left that door open).  You have reports of young players not being happy, Irving blasting teammates in the media, etc.  There seems to be some dysfunction in addition to Trader Danny running things.  Plus you couple all of that with the simple fact that Boston can't acquire Davis now without trading Irving (which defeats the purpose) so there is no reason for Boston to be on his list right now.

As for the Bucks, they have the best record in basketball, they have the front runner for MVP who just turned 24, is signed long term, and is at least publically very happy.  What great player that wants to win, wouldn't want to play in Milwaukee.  I mean if winning is what truly matters then the Bucks have got to be a top 2 or 3 place to play.  The Bucks though don't have the assets to make a trade for someone like Davis as Middleton, Brogdon, DV, Maker, and draft picks just isn't going to get it done.

The Knicks are a little different, but I'm pretty confident that Davis knows if he is traded there, that the Knicks will be adding at least 1 max level player this summer to play with him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Re
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 12:09:44 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
This I think more than anything is a Danny Ainge image problem.  This is a GM that is great, but at the same time very ruthless.  He has constantly stated his position on trading players while they still have value and he has traded the face of the franchise on 4 separate occasions (Walker, Pierce, Rondo, Thomas).  Anyone that signs a contract in Boston has to realize he has a very good chance of not seeing the end of that contract.  You can't live by the moniker of Trader Danny without eventually facing backlash for your lack of loyalty.  Plus you have Irving who is publically waffling a bit (he could have just doubled down on re-signing but left that door open).  You have reports of young players not being happy, Irving blasting teammates in the media, etc.  There seems to be some dysfunction in addition to Trader Danny running things.  Plus you couple all of that with the simple fact that Boston can't acquire Davis now without trading Irving (which defeats the purpose) so there is no reason for Boston to be on his list right now.

As for the Bucks, they have the best record in basketball, they have the front runner for MVP who just turned 24, is signed long term, and is at least publically very happy.  What great player that wants to win, wouldn't want to play in Milwaukee.  I mean if winning is what truly matters then the Bucks have got to be a top 2 or 3 place to play. 

The Knicks are a little different, but I'm pretty confident that Davis knows if he is traded there, that the Knicks will be adding at least 1 max level player this summer to play with him.

Well said.  The Bucks should be near the top of any list if winning is the #1 criteria.

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

As for the Bucks, they have the best record in basketball, they have the front runner for MVP who just turned 24, is signed long term, and is at least publically very happy.  What great player that wants to win, wouldn't want to play in Milwaukee.  I mean if winning is what truly matters then the Bucks have got to be a top 2 or 3 place to play. The Bucks though don't have the assets to make a trade for someone like Davis as Middleton, Brogdon, DV, Maker, and draft picks just isn't going to get it done.

Then why not the Nuggets or Raptors? As you said, Bucks don't have pieces to make a deal but there's winning teams that can acquire him without completely gutting their team. I think it's more about the appearance of being willing to play for other teams without the threat of one of those teams putting together an adequate package to acquire him.
2021 Houston Rockets

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

As RJ said, this really isn’t even true.  These reports are essentially political plays. 

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 12:41:07 PM »

Offline umpacu

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 28

But at the same time, I'm sure everybody would have done the same thing on those trades, if they were in Danny's position. He always improved the franchise's situation. If you want to win championships, isn't that what you want from your GM? Let's say that you can trade Smart and Horford for someone like Embiid, Jokic, or any other star. Would you do it? Of course you would, as AD also would do.

He wants to leave the Pelicans right now because they weren't able to build a contender around him. I don't think the same thing would happen in Boston.

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

As for the Bucks, they have the best record in basketball, they have the front runner for MVP who just turned 24, is signed long term, and is at least publically very happy.  What great player that wants to win, wouldn't want to play in Milwaukee.  I mean if winning is what truly matters then the Bucks have got to be a top 2 or 3 place to play. The Bucks though don't have the assets to make a trade for someone like Davis as Middleton, Brogdon, DV, Maker, and draft picks just isn't going to get it done.

Then why not the Nuggets or Raptors? As you said, Bucks don't have pieces to make a deal but there's winning teams that can acquire him without completely gutting their team. I think it's more about the appearance of being willing to play for other teams without the threat of one of those teams putting together an adequate package to acquire him.
Leonard expires this summer, Lowry is old, and while they have some quality young players they probably don't have any top tier ones. 

Denver probably is a great place to play though I'm not sure the fit between Jokic and Davis on the court in this particular instance.  I think they could work together but it is a trickier fit since they are so similar.  Still I would imagine that they would have a very good shot at keeping him if he went there.

Also, it should be noted that the Bucks were reported as a team that was interested while the Raptors and Nuggets were not

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

But at the same time, I'm sure everybody would have done the same thing on those trades, if they were in Danny's position. He always improved the franchise's situation. If you want to win championships, isn't that what you want from your GM? Let's say that you can trade Smart and Horford for someone like Embiid, Jokic, or any other star. Would you do it? Of course you would, as AD also would do.

He wants to leave the Pelicans right now because they weren't able to build a contender around him. I don't think the same thing would happen in Boston.
As a fan absolutely but as a player weighing my future I do think it is a factor.  Davis can go to a lot of teams where winning a title is a real option. He doesn't have to play for a GM that could trade him at any time

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 12:51:01 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Leonard expires this summer, Lowry is old, and while they have some quality young players they probably don't have any top tier ones. 

Denver probably is a great place to play though I'm not sure the fit between Jokic and Davis on the court in this particular instance.  I think they could work together but it is a trickier fit since they are so similar.  Still I would imagine that they would have a very good shot at keeping him if he went there.

Also, it should be noted that the Bucks were reported as a team that was interested while the Raptors and Nuggets were not

Kyrie expires this summer, Horford is the same age as Lowry (but Lowry is still an All-Star at least), we've got some quality young players but no one's taken a leap yet.

I think you're selling Toronto a bit short.

Either way, it doesn't matter. He's not going to put a team on his list that can actually trade for him now that isn't the Lakers or NY.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

As for the Bucks, they have the best record in basketball, they have the front runner for MVP who just turned 24, is signed long term, and is at least publically very happy.  What great player that wants to win, wouldn't want to play in Milwaukee.  I mean if winning is what truly matters then the Bucks have got to be a top 2 or 3 place to play.  The Bucks though don't have the assets to make a trade for someone like Davis as Middleton, Brogdon, DV, Maker, and draft picks just isn't going to get it done.

The "Trader Danny" thing I understand, though it can also be argued that Danny makes those kinds of trades only when there's some sort of special circumstance, such as a guy being past his prime (Pierce) or damaged goods (IT). I can't imagine Danny trading Davis if Davis is still in his prime and relatively healthy.

And I agree about Milwaukee, to an extent. They're a top team right now, and I actually tend to pull for teams from smaller, blue-collar cities like Milwaukee, but Giannis becomes an unrestricted free agent only two years from now (summer '21), and I'm not sure he stays in Milwaukee; if he leaves, that team goes back to being mostly irrelevant.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
The only problem we have is that AD doesn't want to waste the rest of his season on NOLA and the Celtics are the only team that cannot trade for him. Therefore; the Celtics are the only team AD's reps are actively discouraging.

Wait to after the deadline. If this Anti-Boston/AD is a rental narrative continues, I'll become a little more worried. Until then, it just makes sense to try to get the Celtics to take themselves out of the bidding so that NOLA is motivated to trade AD in 2-3 days.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier