Author Topic: Vernon Carey Jr.  (Read 5422 times)

Re: Vernon Carey Jr.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 09:10:12 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
sounds big and beefy and looks like he's a rebounder  (based on stats).  Since it looks like the Memphis pick will convey this year, this kid may be worth taking with that pick.  we certainly seem stocked with guards and wings for several seasons to come so another big would be welcome particularly with Kanter looking like he'll be worth a much bigger contract from another team next season

I know it doesn't look promising if going strictly by position in standings, but it's not like MEM is tearing it up. As it stands, only GS looks definitely worse than them out west. And, while the bottom of the East is super-iffy, hopefully they will be able to beat up on each other enough by year's end to gather a few extra wins.

I understand that MEM has everything to play for this year, but that may not be enough.

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/vernon-carey/

NBA Comparison: Domantas Sabonis
Strengths: 6’9.5 left-handed, versatile big man … Good size and length with a 7’0 wingspan … Good strength and build, weighing 263 pounds yet very mobile and well-coordinated … Possesses excellent body control … Versatile skillset … Can score inside and out … Effective offensive game when facing up and in the post with good footwork … Has an effective spin move … Good touch in the paint and uses glass efficiently … Scores in a multitude of ways with floaters and jump hooks … Good combination of power and finesse … Reliable, soft hands … Solid ballhandling ability for his size. Can put it on the floor and drive to the basket … Good jab step … Effective in isolation … Shoots from outside with good form and ball rotation … Averaged 17.4 points per game while shooting 54.3% FG% over the Nike EYBL in 2017 and 17.8 points per game while shooting 55.7% FG% in 2018 … Good court vision and passing ability … Makes accurate cross court passes … Solid athletically … Gets good elevation in the paint and finishes with powerful dunks … Solid shot blocker and versatile tools as a defender … Averaged 1.1 blocks per game over the Nike EYBL in 2017 … Draws fouls at a good rate. Shot 6.4 free throws per game over the Nike EYBL in 2018 … Natural talent with great potential. Can naturally do a little bit of everything, won’t have to completely add new dimensions to his game but can improve upon his weaknesses …

Weaknesses: Coasts and plays too content at times … Goes through stretches where he isn’t involved in the offense and blends in … Often times the last player up the court … Settles for outside shots and drifts to the perimeter a bit too much … Doesn’t always utilize his physical ability to be a matchup problem, making it easier for opponents when he pulls up for quick shots rather than trying to establish position in the paint … His feel for the game can improve … Learning to recognize/expose mismatches and playing to his strengths will take him a long way … Can get more action off the ball … Doesn’t usually get involved with the offense until the ball is in his hands … Good tools as a defender and moves his feet well at his size but can show more commitment and effort on defense. Doesn’t always get in a stance and lacks as a help defender … Definitely has a workable jump shot moving forward but can improve shooting consistency … Shot 31.7% 3P% over the Nike EYBL in 2017 and 33.3% 3P% in 2018 … Didn’t stand out as a rebounder as someone with his size, tools, and talent can … Averaged 5.8 boards per game over the Nike EYBL in 2017 and seven per game in 2018 … Heavily favors driving to his left … Can limit the turnovers … Averaged 1.9 turnovers per game over the Nike EYBL in 2017 and 2.8 per game in 2018 … Can improve overall consistency … Will need to improve his leadership and intangibles if he wants to reach his long-term potential …

Outlook: Helped University High School to a 36-2 and finished runner up at Geico High School Nationals … 2018 All-Peach Jam: Second Team with averages of 23 points, 51.9% FG%, 10.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists, two blocks, and 1.2 steals per game … 2018 All-EYBL: Third Team … Father Vernon Carey Sr played in the NFL … One of the top talents in the 2019 high school class …

Evan Tomes 10/9/18

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Kanter opts out, I would rather give Kanter the MLE next year than draft this kid as his ceiling is probably only as high as Kanter is now.

But if he is BPA you have to take him. If he isn't BPA you draft the kid who is and probably move on from a Javonte Green.

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 10:24:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You can tell that draft profile on him is outdated. He’s definitely shown an ability to use his body so far.  He leads the ACC in FG% and FTAs, and the entire NCAA in PER.

My concern is that in many ways he’s a traditional center. He’s not a good passer, he’s not a good 3PT shooter, he’s not great in transition.

Can Brad develop him, or use him in a way that maximizes his talents?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Whatever Carey is lacking, that's going to be the reason why he will be in the range of the Celtics.

If he's flawless then the Celts will not be able to draft him because he will be top 3 or top 5.

I guess the question then is which limits to accept.  I can see taking a guy with a high ceiling who’s still raw/relatively new to the game, or who is likely to be a plus defender but a limited offensive player; I’m more concerned about a guy who has a polished offensive game but limited physical tools or questionable motor.

I think a guy like Carey will complement a guy like RWill.

RWill will be the length and shot-blocker that Carey isn't.

Carey will be the offensive player and bruiser that RWill is not.
or the C's will draft a better player available at that spot regardless of the position they play. 

will wait to see what the kid does during the course of the NCAA season and what the professional draftniks/scouts identify as his positives and negatives before thinking this is our guy.  a number of question marks for a guy to be taken somewhere between 7-10 in the draft.   C's need to land a quality player more than they need to fill a weak spot that they may be able to fill via free agency in the offseason.

Celts don't have the cap space to fill the weak spot via free-agency.

Only way Celts can improve any weak spot is through a trade or via draft.

Drafting another wing or guard will be detrimental to the team's progress.

Right now Celts have Langford, Waters, and Carsen, all have the potential to be contributors in the near future.

Drafting the best big man available is logical.

Of those three, only Langford is even arguably a wing.

If the BPA when we're up is a player 6'5"-6'9" who has potential to become a starter for a playoff team, I wouldn't worry even for a heartbeat about redundancy with Edwards or Waters. Their ceilings are as rotation players - 6th-10th best player on the team. There's a reason we got them in the 2d round.

Four years from now, at the end of Langford's rookie deal, I am hoping to see him step in alongside the Jays as part of a three-headed monster that can create shots at three levels and switch/defend across the board.  Ideally the Memphis pick will give us yet another long player who can develop alongside them - possibly one of the 6'5" point guards in this year's draft (Killian?), or maybe a SF/PF (Precious) or PF/C (Okongwu). I'm really not too worried about redundancy. If that really becomes a problem, it's better to have a good player to offer in trade than a mediocre draftee who fills a need.

Maybe, if he continues to show out, a player like Okongwu or Carey could help us next year, but I doubt it.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Whatever Carey is lacking, that's going to be the reason why he will be in the range of the Celtics.

If he's flawless then the Celts will not be able to draft him because he will be top 3 or top 5.

I guess the question then is which limits to accept.  I can see taking a guy with a high ceiling who’s still raw/relatively new to the game, or who is likely to be a plus defender but a limited offensive player; I’m more concerned about a guy who has a polished offensive game but limited physical tools or questionable motor.

I think a guy like Carey will complement a guy like RWill.

RWill will be the length and shot-blocker that Carey isn't.

Carey will be the offensive player and bruiser that RWill is not.
or the C's will draft a better player available at that spot regardless of the position they play. 

will wait to see what the kid does during the course of the NCAA season and what the professional draftniks/scouts identify as his positives and negatives before thinking this is our guy.  a number of question marks for a guy to be taken somewhere between 7-10 in the draft.   C's need to land a quality player more than they need to fill a weak spot that they may be able to fill via free agency in the offseason.

Celts don't have the cap space to fill the weak spot via free-agency.

Only way Celts can improve any weak spot is through a trade or via draft.

Drafting another wing or guard will be detrimental to the team's progress.

Right now Celts have Langford, Waters, and Carsen, all have the potential to be contributors in the near future.

Drafting the best big man available is logical.

Of those three, only Langford is even arguably a wing.

If the BPA when we're up is a player 6'5"-6'9" who has potential to become a starter for a playoff team, I wouldn't worry even for a heartbeat about redundancy with Edwards or Waters. Their ceilings are as rotation players - 6th-10th best player on the team. There's a reason we got them in the 2d round.

Four years from now, at the end of Langford's rookie deal, I am hoping to see him step in alongside the Jays as part of a three-headed monster that can create shots at three levels and switch/defend across the board.  Ideally the Memphis pick will give us yet another long player who can develop alongside them - possibly one of the 6'5" point guards in this year's draft (Killian?), or maybe a SF/PF (Precious) or PF/C (Okongwu). I'm really not too worried about redundancy. If that really becomes a problem, it's better to have a good player to offer in trade than a mediocre draftee who fills a need.

Maybe, if he continues to show out, a player like Okongwu or Carey could help us next year, but I doubt it.

Don't count out Hayward and Smart.

3 years from now, Hayward will just be 32 and Smart will be 28 years old.

Unless something drastic happens, Langford will be stuck on the bench if both Jays are healthy and Smart and Hayward are healthy.

There's a bigger chance of Waters getting minutes than Langford as Wanamaker might leave after this season.

Adding another wing player, using a lottery pick, will have an effect like the law of diminishing returns in economics.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 09:06:19 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
From what I have seen I do not think Carey will be an NBA level defender and this could very well cap his potential to that of a 3rd string center. With that in mind he would likely be a waste of a 1st round pick.  I’m going off of a small sample size so I hope I’m proven wrong.

I’m much higher in Isaiah Stewart who is shorter but longer and has elite strength.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
From what I have seen I do not think Carey will be an NBA level defender and this could very well cap his potential to that of a 3rd string center. With that in mind he would likely be a waste of a 1st round pick.  I’m going off of a small sample size so I hope I’m proven wrong.

I’m much higher in Isaiah Stewart who is shorter but longer and has elite strength.

Stewart is also a good prospect.

If the Griz continue to win then Carey will be out of the Celts' range.

Stewart is a top 20 pick in nbadraft.net, so it's possible the Celts will be in a position to draft him.