Author Topic: Max Carlin's Analysis of Celtics Draft  (Read 3242 times)

Max Carlin's Analysis of Celtics Draft
« on: June 21, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Below link is from CelticsBlog's Max Carlin, who is their Celtics draft guru. I previously posted about him here. I feel his analysis is top notch, and is one of the reasons before the draft I had hoped we would select Grant Williams, who he had projected as 4 in his overall power rankings before the draft. He had Langford at 12.

Read his analysis including video scouting on these guys. I think many of you will feel quite good about last night's draft for the Celtics.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/6/21/18700402/boston-celtics-initial-thoughts-on-romeo-langford-grant-williams-carsen-edwards

Re: Max Carlin's Analysis of Celtics Draft
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:46:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Thanks for posting that. Interesting stuff.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
TP for posting. Feeling better and better we are back on road to building something more similar to GSW now that our buy a title attempt failed. Those three look pretty, pretty good. Even if one of those three panned out big, it would be a home run. According to that write up, it looks like Danny was trying to replace the outgoing crew with players who had similar attributes and could definitely fit alongside Tatum, Brown, Smart and Hayward.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Wow. Grant Williams at #4 overall, or just in Tier 2?

He sure seems to move like PJ Tucker. Those super contested jumpers probably won't translate, but most of his defense will. I am really coming around on this guy. Probably gets minutes straight away now that everyone is gone.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 03:09:22 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The guys is read, people like Kevin O'connor, Jonathan Tjarks, Max Carlin, all had Williams ranked high. To me he's the steal of the draft. They also ranked Langford high.

Unfortunately the draft guys who get the airtime are the ones who tend to get it wrong. Like Jay Bilas.. So fans who watch a lot of TV in the lead up will think we've had a bad drsft

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 10:14:51 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I hated the Yabu pick when it happened.  I still haven't been disproved on that account.

I hope I am disproved by this draft but overall I hate it so far.  Hope I'm proved wrong.

To me the only guy who will contribute right away was pick #33 who will jack up a lot of 3's for us because A) steven's system and B) Kyrie is gone and there's no guarantee Rozier is coming back.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 10:30:07 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I hated the Yabu pick when it happened.  I still haven't been disproved on that account.

I hope I am disproved by this draft but overall I hate it so far.  Hope I'm proved wrong.

To me the only guy who will contribute right away was pick #33 who will jack up a lot of 3's for us because A) steven's system and B) Kyrie is gone and there's no guarantee Rozier is coming back.

I need more info about 1) is Yabu the only player you got right and 2) have you never been wrong about the picks that Cs got right.

I think most on this board can say they were right about a Cs pick here or there that they thought wouldn't make it. I can remember a lot of people hating the Yabu pick but it doesn't give me any more faith in their future predictions because after the lotto, most people bust, you could be right about probably 40 drafted players a season.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 10:31:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not to doubt Carlin’s acumen too much, but his 4th, 5th and 6thranked prospects were Grant Williams, Brandon Clarke, and Jaxson Hayes. All are ahead of RJ Barrett.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 11:19:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He definitely puts a lot more stock into the year's performance over potential. RJ Barrett you can argue is number one in growth potential so he still has to be top 3 overall.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 11:46:12 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 02:32:55 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
https://twitter.com/maxacarlin/status/1143005981007331328?s=09

Here's a couple of clips on Maxs twitter. Langford can ball.