Author Topic: Welcome to Boston, Carsen Edwards!  (Read 18582 times)

Re: Welcome to Boston, Carsen Edwards!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »

Offline willyd624

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
Really like the Carsen Edwards pick. The Celtics have always done a great job utilizing undersized guards including Phil Pressey, Shane Larkin, and Isaiah Thomas. They almost always play with a chip on their shoulder due to their size and make for fan favorites that play hard every single night.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Welcome, and thank you Jeff Green (LAC pick turned into #33 and MIL 2020 1st).

Isn't Jeff Green the Memphis pick?

MEM traded Jeff Green to LAC for LAC 1st
MEM traded LAC 1st to BOS for #31 and #35 in 2016
BOS traded LAC 1st for 2019 #24 and #33 (Edwards)
BOS traded #24 and Baynes for next year's MIL pick

LAC 1st was lottery protected for 2019 and 2020 and would then have turned into a 2nd

So shouldn't you be thanking Deyonta Davis and Rade Zagorac? Or Matisse Thybulle? A little love for Aron Baynes, perhaps? lol

He's the only one of those players to help net the C's TWO picks. The listed fliers never played in a C's uniform and were just trade currency (picks), and Baynes was a salary dump that Phoenix agreed to eat.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=99451.0
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 04:30:07 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 04:29:50 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82

LAC 1st was lottery protected for 2019 and 2020 and would then have turned into a 2nd

So basically, Boston traded #31 and #35 in 2016 for...

#33 Carsen Edwards and #27-30 (probable range) in 2020... minus Aron Baynes.

So in essence we moved up a few spots for each of those 2nd round picks in exchange for Aron Baynes.

I still would have liked keeping the #20 pick this year, but it wasn't a terrible outcome.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm surprised Edwards was available at 33. Probably because of his size. Is he really 6-0? Looks shorter.

He made a big splash  in the tournament, and the media has some stories about him.  He's a typical good pick for Ainge.

The only question is his height. The NBA plays a bit taller and faster than the college level, and he'll have a tougher time.
But a good pick.

I wish Danny had been able to draft that Texas center, Hayes. But Atlanta grabbed him at #8 , traded to Pelicans in the #4 deal. Seemed that Griffin was not doing Ainge any favors draft night.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 04:32:38 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
I remember one night in particular where it Virginia vs. Purdue and I needed Virginia for my bracket. I don't think there was a player in the tournament who drew more groans from the crowd than that little guy dropping 3 after 3 in DeAndre Hunter -the best defender in the tournament's- grill on his way to 42 points for the game.

EDIT TO MY POST: Hunter didn't guard him until about 13 minutes were left.  Yes, Edwards did score 16 on Hunter, but once Hunter realized Edwards' range extended that far, Hunter started to pick him up at half court. 

So basically Hunter allowed just as many points as UVa's other defenders.  Edwards made Hunter look silly at times.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:33:27 PM by No Nickname »

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
I think Edwards could be that scoring sparkplug/sharpshooter off the bench we've been hoping to get in recent years (kind of like how Reddick and Korver play, except with more athleticism and hopefully not a pure liability on defense). He just scores.
Eddie House?

I just read this comment after asking if Edwards was like Nate Robinson and the description of a sparkplug / sharpshooter off the bench at 6-1 made me think of Eddie House.

Is House a better comparison for Edwards? Pure shooter.
Or Nate Robinson? More ball-handling and athleticism.
Or neither? Are both off the mark?

He's got Nate Robinson handles, but is an Eddie House shooter.   

Lightning quick, can get his shot off in a mili-second, and can also finish at the rim.  Not as good of a finisher as Isaiah Thomas, but he's not just an Eddie House who can't drive.

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

So in essence we moved up a few spots for each of those 2nd round picks in exchange for Aron Baynes.

I still would have liked keeping the #20 pick this year, but it wasn't a terrible outcome.

I think Ainge wanted cap savings by using only 2 of the 3 1st round picks.

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
I'm surprised Edwards was available at 33. Probably because of his size. Is he really 6-0? Looks shorter.

He made a big splash  in the tournament, and the media has some stories about him.  He's a typical good pick for Ainge.

The only question is his height. The NBA plays a bit taller and faster than the college level, and he'll have a tougher time.
But a good pick.

I wish Danny had been able to draft that Texas center, Hayes. But Atlanta grabbed him at #8 , traded to Pelicans in the #4 deal. Seemed that Griffin was not doing Ainge any favors draft night.

Per NBA.com... Has average size for a point guard measured at 6’0.25 in shoes (which means he's 5'11" barefoot) at the Draft Combine, but has an impressive 6’6 wingspan, a strong 199-pound frame. Terrific athlete who can play above the rim on the move and has great quickness and balance creating shots on the perimeter.

Played one of the biggest roles of any high major player in the country offensively. Was featured extensively in the pick and roll and given plenty of freedom to freelance in one-on-one situations but was also used heavily in designed actions away from the ball as Matt Painter found all sorts of creative ways to keep Edwards involved offensively.

https://stats.nba.com/articles/2019-nba-draft-profile-carsen-edwards/

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 04:38:46 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum

I think Ainge wanted cap savings by using only 2 of the 3 1st round picks.

Totally understand the rationale for the trade.  In a vacuum though it would have been better to keep the pick is all I'm saying.  Just in terms of grading the initial trade of two second rounders.

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2019, 04:44:45 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
He certainly showed off the big game ability in his 2019 ncaa tourney highlights.  Splashing 3's all over the place, many time in the face of much larger defenders.  That alone should excite us a little bit.  He seems to have a little bit of IT (but bigger), a little bit of Derrick Rose (but not quite as much the athletic freak), a little bit of Fred Van Fleet.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2019-06-19/nba-draft-carsen-edwards-top-ncaa-tournament-highlights

those highlights are worth watching.  he was playing against high level ncaa teams with at times extremely high level defenders trying to stop him.  maybe it was just a great ncaa run, but his stats say otherwise.

and yes, he looks ready to run some pick and roll....

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
by the way, for those of us who lament edwards smurf-esque height, he is 6 feet .25 inches. mike conley is 6'1". maybe edwards has a chance in the nba.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2019, 05:20:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
by the way, for those of us who lament edwards smurf-esque height, he is 6 feet .25 inches. mike conley is 6'1". maybe edwards has a chance in the nba.

He also has a strong build.

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The concern with Edwards’ height is that he has a lot of work to do to be a PG in the NBA.  His game mostly profiles as not someone who will run the offense.  This means you may need to have a bigger PG on the roster to pair him with, so that Edwards can guard opposing PGs while the PG takes someone larger.  We do have such a player in Smart.  We also have a coach who’s not afraid to put 2-3 PG-sizes players on the court at the same time (remember the Larkin-Rozier-Irving-Smart lineups) so it probably matters less here than for some other teams.  If Edwards gets his assignments right, he’ll see the court.

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
He certainly showed off the big game ability in his 2019 ncaa tourney highlights.  Splashing 3's all over the place, many time in the face of much larger defenders.  That alone should excite us a little bit.  He seems to have a little bit of IT (but bigger), a little bit of Derrick Rose (but not quite as much the athletic freak), a little bit of Fred Van Fleet.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2019-06-19/nba-draft-carsen-edwards-top-ncaa-tournament-highlights

those highlights are worth watching.  he was playing against high level ncaa teams with at times extremely high level defenders trying to stop him.  maybe it was just a great ncaa run, but his stats say otherwise.

and yes, he looks ready to run some pick and roll....

Van Fleet is a good comp.

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2019, 05:38:29 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I remember one night in particular where it Virginia vs. Purdue and I needed Virginia for my bracket. I don't think there was a player in the tournament who drew more groans from the crowd than that little guy dropping 3 after 3 in DeAndre Hunter -the best defender in the tournament's- grill on his way to 42 points for the game.

EDIT TO MY POST: Hunter didn't guard him until about 13 minutes were left.  Yes, Edwards did score 16 on Hunter, but once Hunter realized Edwards' range extended that far, Hunter started to pick him up at half court. 

So basically Hunter allowed just as many points as UVa's other defenders.  Edwards made Hunter look silly at times.

https://mobile.twitter.com/eric_nehm/status/1140847245044199424

No worries I appreciate the edit.

Here's the video it shows him scoring 6 times with Hunter as the primary defender.

I was working so I could only watch so much but I definitely remember a couple of these plays because I was armchair scouting Hunter. Still [darn] impressive of Edwards if you ask me.