Author Topic: Ringer Draft Guide  (Read 4845 times)

Ringer Draft Guide
« on: June 04, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.83227606.1930330115.1559587923-1364283429.1559587923

Some names that may be in the Celts' range that stand out to me in a positive way:

Brandon Clarke -- nothing new here, but I think details like "6'8''", "super versatile," "plays team first basketball," and high productivity in college all suggest good things for making it in the modern NBA

Jaxson Hayes -- Really sounds like he has a skillset that will make him a significant threat as a rim runner in the NBA ... that's a role with a lot of value but a hard ceiling in today's league.  High floor relatively low ceiling.  But mid-1st would be great value for that kind of player.

Tyler Herro -- Improbable name aside, he's young, a good shooter, and has decent size for a wing.  Terrible wingspan is a red flag, but talented wing shooters are always useful.

Grant Williams
- Anybody who gets compared to Boris Diaw draws my attention, but he's probably more Kyle Anderson than Boris.

Matiss Thybulle - Comps to Danny Green, Gary Harris, Tony Allen -- every one of those guys is somebody any team could use.  Great steal rate is typically a very good indicator of success at the NBA level.

Dylan Windler - Size plus productivity plus shooting ... Ingles, Bojan, Mo Pete are all encouraging comps.  Good wingspan.

Talen Horton-Tucker - Super young and a freakish wingspan for a 6'4'' guy ... if he's there at 22 I'd be perfectly happy with the team taking a swing.

Some players that stood out to me in a negative way:

Sekou Doumboya - You never want to see "tranquilized" in any player comp.  Also 0.7 assists is a bit of a red flag for me.

PJ Washington - I worry about skinny power forwards that lack range ... Taj Gibson is a nice player but Jerami Grant without a jumpshot is tough to play at all and Brice Johnson is not an NBA player (so far).

Romeo Langford - Your main selling point being "isolation scoring" coupled with "must refine his decision-making and jumper" is a major red flag to me, especially after watching the 2019 Celtics for an entire season.

Kevin Porter Jr. - Comps to JR Smith, Stuckey, James Young ... sounds like a guy Ainge would take and who would occasionally look exciting but overall be too rough to get playing time.

Nassir Little - 0.6 assists worry me ... comps to Harrison Barnes and Stanley Johnson are similarly concerning.  Guys like this who don't develop reliable jumpers or playmaking end up becoming, at best, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

Rui Hachimura - Comps to Jabari Parker and "washed Carmelo Anthony" .... please stay away from this guy.  Please stay far away.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Ringer Draft Guide
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Matiss Thybulle sounds really interesting.

Defense + athleticism + adequate offense.

Rotation player.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Matiss Thybulle sounds really interesting.

Defense + athleticism + adequate offense.

Rotation player.

Agreed.  Any wing guy with super long arms and freakish level defense can become a crucial piece on virtually any team so long as they have at least theoretical outside shooting ability.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
At some point we must gamble to talent than to physical tools... i would like a guy like bol reid johnson... guys who can score shoot... the body can be built afterwoods.. see the gasols..

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 01:54:30 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
At some point we must gamble to talent than to physical tools... i would like a guy like bol reid johnson... guys who can score shoot... the body can be built afterwoods.. see the gasols..

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Re: Bol, I'm not sure the body can be built.  Dude that tall and that skinny is a bad injury waiting to happen.  What's his mobility going to be on defense?  Sounds like he's going to be a guy who stands near the basket on one end and stands in the corner or in the dunker spot on the other.

Comps to Thon Maker and "Porzingis in 480p" are not especially encouraging either.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Alexander-Walker
KZ Okpala or Thybulle
Samanic, Reid, Gafford, or maybe Clark

These guys are going to be gud

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I'm a huge fan of Carsen Edwards with the #22 pick. Shades of Lou Williams is most def not a bad thing. I like Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Ty Jerome too. I'm hopeful we won't have the #14 and #20 picks because of a trade.

I like Eric Paschall, Naz Reid, Ignas Brazdeikis and Sagaba Konate with the #51 pick. Ignas Brazdeikis has the best "shades of" in the entire draft guide.

SHADES OF: Harrison Barnes, Pat Connaughton, Matt Harpring, a Bond villain

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I'm really hoping we can grab Nassir Little (14) and Bol Bol (20), but in Ainge I trust. Admiral also seems like he'd fit in here, but I'm not sold on the 22nd pick for him.

I think Nassir is gonna be a steal, but then I also really liked Justise Winslow, Stanley Robinson, and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson too. I guess I just like high potential/high energy wings with grit.

Nassir Little might be a lot like Jaylen Brown--their college situations hurt them and their games translate better to the NBA
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bol shoots above 50% from 3

I dont care what his body looks like

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 04:13:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think Nassir is gonna be a steal, but then I also really liked Justise Winslow, Stanley Robinson, and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson too. I guess I just like high potential/high energy wings with grit.

That's the thing, even with a lot of talent a player with that sort of profile (i.e. a traditional power forward's offensive game in a traditional small forward's body) seems to have trouble making it in today's game.  Winslow is a recent better-case example and is a decent starter, while Stanley Johnson is closer to a worst-case scenario and is unplayable.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Bol shoots above 50% from 3

I dont care what his body looks like

Can he stay on the floor?  That's my question.  Both in terms of defense and in terms of health.

A seven foot plus dude who can hit threes with a release point above basically any defender is always going to have value, at least in theory, but if he's got the foot speed of an oak tree he may be unplayable on defense.

Just look at Boban -- he's super productive but has trouble staying on the floor because he's so slow.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 04:53:53 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

That's the thing, even with a lot of talent a player with that sort of profile (i.e. a traditional power forward's offensive game in a traditional small forward's body) seems to have trouble making it in today's game.  Winslow is a recent better-case example and is a decent starter, while Stanley Johnson is closer to a worst-case scenario and is unplayable.

I saw Nassir in somebody's draft comps (I've been reading so many, I can't remember where) that they reminded that person as a more developed, more offensively skilled Gerald Wallace at this stage in his career.

I would take that.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I saw Nassir in somebody's draft comps (I've been reading so many, I can't remember where) that they reminded that person as a more developed, more offensively skilled Gerald Wallace at this stage in his career.

I would take that.

If Gerald Wallace came into the league today what would his role be?  How would he earn his playing time?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I would take that.

If Gerald Wallace came into the league today what would his role be?  How would he earn his playing time?

Different league, I get it, but if someone said to me "You can have rookie Gerald Wallace right now", that would be very hard for me to pass up. Just like if someone said "rookie Joachim Noah", I would take him too, despite the fact that he doesn't fit the current prototypical NBA center mold.

In addition, Little's FT% (78%, I believe), bodes well for his shot for the future.