Author Topic: Celtics mock draft: picking Mutombos nephew with #14?  (Read 6110 times)

Re: Celtics mock draft: picking Mutombos nephew with #14?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 12:49:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the team is using those picks, that probably means no AD trade, which in turn probably means no Kyrie.

In that case, they might as well take a swing on whoever seems like they have the highest upside.

Try to uncover the next Gobert / Giannis / Siakam etc.

If Sekou Doumbouya is available at #14 that might be the best upside swing.  I don't really know though.

I've argued the opposite of the above before regarding this draft, e.g. just try to uncover some unappreciated role players.  Which would make sense if the team is going to try to stay competitive even if Kyrie leaves. 

But if it's a full-on youth movement, I guess the best option is to just swing for the fences, if that's a possibility.

with what you stated...no reason you can't make a pick for the future (draft an stash),  and two other players to help the team now

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Draft boards are all over the place, and swings occurring on a weekly basis.  That is why it makes almost no sense to trade up unless to 1-3, which is unlikely.  Sorry, I would not want Clarke at 14, Tr1boy, I just don't get what you see in him. We need to compete with the Raptors and Bucks, who have great length. 

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 01:37:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Draft boards are all over the place, and swings occurring on a weekly basis.  That is why it makes almost no sense to trade up unless to 1-3, which is unlikely.  Sorry, I would not want Clarke at 14, Tr1boy, I just don't get what you see in him. We need to compete with the Raptors and Bucks, who have great length.
who is this very tall and talented player that can compete with those teams as a rookie and is available at #14?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 01:39:25 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
posted wrong thread

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
who is this very tall and talented player that can compete with those teams as a rookie and is available at #14?

at 14 its a guard.

Alexander Walker, future Defensive beast, excellent offensive player. Very incredibly underrated.

at 20 and 22 are where those big guys currently lurk. (and dont forget we have Williams)

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sorry, I would not want Clarke at 14, Tr1boy, I just don't get what you see in him. We need to compete with the Raptors and Bucks, who have great length.

Clarke at least is a guy who can almost certainly play and contribute. 

If our goal for next year actually ends up being trying to compete with the Raps and Bucks, the Celts will need to try to add guys who have some NBA-ready skills to offer.  Clarke was one of the most productive players in college basketball this season and could probably contribute right away, at least in limited minutes.

If the goal is to compete with the best team 4-5 years from now, then there are probably better options than a 24 year old with a below average wingspan.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Not sure, but it certainly isn't the guy with the TRex arms.

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 02:06:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not this again lol

Tell me. Would Moute or Ariza be good choices at 14??

How many players from 14 to 25 end up becoming more than role players off the bench?

Its not easy to draft Giannis of the world

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Regarding wingspan

Look at Yabu. He has a 7'1 wingspan

Seriously, what has he done thus far?

Wingspan helps ... but I would say only as a tiebreaker between prospects

If one has a shorter wingspan but is a more complete player otherwise... then...

This is going to be an interesting draft. Nobody knows what will happen after the first 3 picks

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 02:24:11 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Sorry, I would not want Clarke at 14, Tr1boy, I just don't get what you see in him. We need to compete with the Raptors and Bucks, who have great length.

Clarke at least is a guy who can almost certainly play and contribute. 

If our goal for next year actually ends up being trying to compete with the Raps and Bucks, the Celts will need to try to add guys who have some NBA-ready skills to offer.  Clarke was one of the most productive players in college basketball this season and could probably contribute right away, at least in limited minutes.

If the goal is to compete with the best team 4-5 years from now, then there are probably better options than a 24 year old with a below average wingspan.

The goal has to be BPA. And that includes now and the future.

a 24 year old, mis-positioned, short arms doesnt really fit EITHER timeline.

Clarke has NO shot at all, cannot handle the ball effectively, and will not be able to post up NBA pfs/center effectively due to his height/wingspan.

He will post up Guards, and he can run by bigger centers on offense, but he is relegated entirely to someone else setting him up. He cannot get anything himself.

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 02:33:52 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Not this again lol

How many players from 14 to 25 end up becoming more than role players off the bench?

Neither of those comparisons make sense, as both of those players have pretty long wingspan (over 7 ft long). Sorry, but you're not selling me on a player with such a red flag.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Regarding wingspan

Look at Yabu. He has a 7'1 wingspan

Seriously, what has he done thus far?

Wingspan helps ... but I would say only as a tiebreaker between prospects

If one has a shorter wingspan but is a more complete player otherwise... then...

This is going to be an interesting draft. Nobody knows what will happen after the first 3 picks

Yabu was considered undersized at the draft for a PF DESPITE his length and strength.

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 02:52:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Clarke has NO shot at all, cannot handle the ball effectively, and will not be able to post up NBA pfs/center effectively due to his height/wingspan.

He will post up Guards, and he can run by bigger centers on offense, but he is relegated entirely to someone else setting him up. He cannot get anything himself.

Look, I'm the furthest thing from an expert on the draft generally, and in particular with respect to this draft.

That said, if he's so flawed and inept, how is it that he was so productive and effective this year for Gonzaga?

Guys who find ways to be super productive in college tend to translate that to the pros in some fashion, unless their game is premised entirely on size or athleticism.  Doesn't sound like that's the case with Clarke.

Easiest example to think of is Kelly Olynyk, who was also super productive at Gonzaga and also has below average wingspan.  Kelly is not a star by any means, nor will he ever become one.  But he's been a useful NBA player from day one.  He's always been a positive in the eyes of stats like +/-, on/off etc.   He just helps a team win basketball games.

I suspect Clarke will be similar.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not this again lol

Neither of those comparisons make sense, as both of those players have pretty long wingspan (over 7 ft long). Sorry, but you're not selling me on a player with such a red flag.

I dont have to sell you on him... we all have different opinions on who would be good for the Celts

I like him but we will see what Danny does

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Look, I'm the furthest thing from an expert on the draft generally, and in particular with respect to this draft.

That said, if he's so flawed and inept, how is it that he was so productive and effective this year for Gonzaga?

Guys who find ways to be super productive in college tend to translate that to the pros in some fashion, unless their game is premised entirely on size or athleticism.  Doesn't sound like that's the case with Clarke.

Easiest example to think of is Kelly Olynyk, who was also super productive at Gonzaga and also has below average wingspan.  Kelly is not a star by any means, nor will he ever become one.  But he's been a useful NBA player from day one.  He's always been a positive in the eyes of stats like +/-, on/off etc.   He just helps a team win basketball games.

I suspect Clarke will be similar.

They will laugh at that comparidon

Because these folks want the next Giannis aka Dombouya risk

Clarke imo will be better than Olynyk. His improvement from the line from 59 to 70 percent is a nice sign that he can improve his 3 pt shot.  Gonzaga didnt need him to be hanging around the perimeter last season