Author Topic: Celtics mock draft: picking Mutombos nephew with #14?  (Read 6037 times)

Celtics mock draft: picking Mutombos nephew with #14?
« on: June 03, 2019, 02:44:12 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Re: Celtics mock draft: picking Mutombos nephew with #14?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:50:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I went to the links and it took me to a mock that was markedly different from what you describe.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:44:23 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
It’d be great if we could get him at 14! Not holding my breath though
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
wow, rising from out of no where.

While I admit, I love the unknown of draft picks, and the potential of getting superstars, as the draft nears, I am starting to lean more and more towards the youth movement.

Build with the Jays and picks.

Just want to see a good young PG get picked up in the draft.

And this kid intrigues me as well.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Hmmm I know nothing about him. But I see that he'll be 22 in August. I wonder if his relatively "late rise" is just the normal development curve of a guy a few years older than many of the other draft candidates. I'll keep my eye on him.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:19 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I looked at it and it has C's picking 3 guys that are 6'6"-8"! We need more of those like I need a punch in the face from Mike Tyson! :P

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 09:46:24 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
ESPN'S latest mock is up (6/3) and here's who Givony has the C's drafting:  http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26719722/nba-mock-draft-first-round-movement-latest-intel

14. Boston Celtics (via Kings)

Brandon Clarke
Gonzaga
F

Height: 6-foot-8 | Weight: 207

With most of Boston's big men potentially hitting free agency, the frontcourt could be a real position of need for the Celtics at the draft. Clarke's versatility as a rim-protecting, pick-and-roll-switching lob-catcher is intriguing on this roster.

He will turn 23 prior to his first NBA game, and he was one of the most productive players in college basketball this past season, meaning he should be ready to step in and help right away. He also has some untapped upside left thanks to his freakish athleticism and budding shooting ability, and he doesn't need any plays called for him, making him a strong match for the existing pieces already in place.

20. Boston Celtics (via Clippers)

Bol Bol
Oregon
C

Height: 7-foot-3 | Weight: 208

General manager Danny Ainge has never been afraid to take a gamble on a risky prospect that other NBA teams decided to pass on due to injuries, character concerns or other reasons. Bol's broken foot, skinny frame and the questions about his approach to the game have caused his stock to slip, but there is little doubt that his talent looked worthy of a top-10 pick before he got injured in December.

If he pans out, he could bring much-needed 3-point shooting and rim protection to the roster.

22. Boston Celtics

Kevin Porter Jr.
USC
G

Height: 6-foot-6 | Weight: 213

Porter will start getting looks as high as the late lottery, but the question marks about his approach to the game appear to have taken a toll on his draft stock.

At this stage of the draft, the rewards likely outweigh the risks, as Porter can become another creator on the perimeter who can shoulder some scoring load. Porter has the size and versatility to slot into a variety of lineup configurations.

Kyrie Irving's July free agency and the Anthony Davis trade talks will play a role in what the Celtics do with their picks. But a player such as Porter could provide some insurance in the backcourt in case Boston loses Irving and restricted free agent Terry Rozier.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 10:02:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We need more length. No thx on Clarke.

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 11:12:43 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This draft is so incredibly flat after the first few picks, it's crazy.

I just looked at 4 different public 'mock' drafts and guys like Clarke, Kabenegale & Hachimura are all floating up & down the first round.

Clarke ranges from #10 all the way down to #20.
Kabenegale is ranging from #10 all the way down to #30!
Hachimura is ranging from #14 all the way to #20.

Ironically multiple mocks have us taking some of the same guys --- but at completely different picks!! LOL!

I think ultimately, we should take every one of these mock predictions with a gigantic grain of salt.

I would pay more attention to which players get called back for 2nd workouts as a better indicator of team interest.   One thing that has become very apparent from the last 10 years or so of drafts is that the internal 'big boards' used by GMs within the teams tend to look extremely different from the public mock drafts because the teams use more and more proprietary information that the public just doesn't have.

One good thing about the flatness of this draft is that, after a fall-off from the top few picks, the talent level is fairly deep through the first round.   I.E., we probably have almost as good a chance of a decent player with the #22 as we do with the #14.   Maybe not a super-star, but that's three picks that all could return a solid NBA level player.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 12:18:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
ESPN'S latest mock is up (6/3) and here's who Givony has the C's drafting:  http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26719722/nba-mock-draft-first-round-movement-latest-intel

14. Boston Celtics (via Kings)

Brandon Clarke
Gonzaga
F

Height: 6-foot-8 | Weight: 207

With most of Boston's big men potentially hitting free agency, the frontcourt could be a real position of need for the Celtics at the draft. Clarke's versatility as a rim-protecting, pick-and-roll-switching lob-catcher is intriguing on this roster.

He will turn 23 prior to his first NBA game, and he was one of the most productive players in college basketball this past season, meaning he should be ready to step in and help right away. He also has some untapped upside left thanks to his freakish athleticism and budding shooting ability, and he doesn't need any plays called for him, making him a strong match for the existing pieces already in place.

20. Boston Celtics (via Clippers)

Bol Bol
Oregon
C

Height: 7-foot-3 | Weight: 208

General manager Danny Ainge has never been afraid to take a gamble on a risky prospect that other NBA teams decided to pass on due to injuries, character concerns or other reasons. Bol's broken foot, skinny frame and the questions about his approach to the game have caused his stock to slip, but there is little doubt that his talent looked worthy of a top-10 pick before he got injured in December.

If he pans out, he could bring much-needed 3-point shooting and rim protection to the roster.

22. Boston Celtics

Kevin Porter Jr.
USC
G

Height: 6-foot-6 | Weight: 213

Porter will start getting looks as high as the late lottery, but the question marks about his approach to the game appear to have taken a toll on his draft stock.

At this stage of the draft, the rewards likely outweigh the risks, as Porter can become another creator on the perimeter who can shoulder some scoring load. Porter has the size and versatility to slot into a variety of lineup configurations.

Kyrie Irving's July free agency and the Anthony Davis trade talks will play a role in what the Celtics do with their picks. But a player such as Porter could provide some insurance in the backcourt in case Boston loses Irving and restricted free agent Terry Rozier.

I like it

Clarke is a good defender

though people look at his wingspan like its problematic.....  he could play a similar role that Moute, Ariza does.  I doubt those guys have crazy wingspans/known for it, but are more of a valuable as versatile defenders

At #14 , you can't expect to hit a "jackpot".  If you find an Moute or Ariza (super role starters or 6th man type bench player).... that is realistic and an amazing find

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
NBADRAFT.net

has  Celtics drafting

14 Hachimura

20 Clarke

22 Okpala

this would be a home run if it happened, if you ask me

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
2 words, Danny: Luka. Samanic.

I'd be perfectly ok with Bol at 20. He's a big gamble, but late picks are for gambling.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
2 words, Danny: Luka. Samanic.

I'd be perfectly ok with Bol at 20. He's a big gamble, but late picks are for gambling.

I will add 3 more words

Nickeil Alexander-Walker

14 - Nickeil
20 - KZ Okpala
22 - Luka Samanic
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:50:05 PM by Silky »

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the team is using those picks, that probably means no AD trade, which in turn probably means no Kyrie.

In that case, they might as well take a swing on whoever seems like they have the highest upside.

Try to uncover the next Gobert / Giannis / Siakam etc.

If Sekou Doumbouya is available at #14 that might be the best upside swing.  I don't really know though.

I've argued the opposite of the above before regarding this draft, e.g. just try to uncover some unappreciated role players.  Which would make sense if the team is going to try to stay competitive even if Kyrie leaves. 

But if it's a full-on youth movement, I guess the best option is to just swing for the fences, if that's a possibility.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain