Author Topic: A Shame We Can't Beat The Great East Teams Like PHI, MIL, TOR....  (Read 4223 times)

Re: A Shame We Can't Beat The Great East Teams Like PHI, MIL, TOR....
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Toronto is the team to beat this year. Will be tough to beat them on their court. I think they can beat the Warriors too, as already proven.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 07:20:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think Toronto is the team to beat this year. Will be tough to beat them on their court. I think they can beat the Warriors too, as already proven.
You assume they're going to have home court.  We're only 4 games back and we made up 2 games over the past 10.   

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 07:57:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
We can beat 28 of the other 29 teams when we’re playing well.  Golden State continues to be the only team that I wouldn’t be confident against.
And yet Boston is 3-3 against GSW over the last three years including two wins in GS and an over time loss in Boston. That gives me hope.
regular season is just so much different than the post season, especially with a team like the Warriors that just coasts through the season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 09:50:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We can beat 28 of the other 29 teams when we’re playing well.  Golden State continues to be the only team that I wouldn’t be confident against.
And yet Boston is 3-3 against GSW over the last three years including two wins in GS and an over time loss in Boston. That gives me hope.
regular season is just so much different than the post season, especially with a team like the Warriors that just coasts through the season.
Who cares?

I don't.

I said it gives me hope.

Did anyone in America expect last year's Celtics without Kyrie and Gordon to get a bad 4th quarter from getting to the Finals in a game seven of the ECFs. Nope. But they did.

You want to be a Celtic fan that thinks they may as well roll over and play dead because you think the Celtics chances are hopeless. Go ahead. That's not me.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:32:19 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 12:19:53 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
We have never had a problem beating Philly, so there goes that.   We beat them this year easily and without our stars last year.   We beat TOR once and they beat us.   Go back to the drawing board.  As far as great teams only TOR and MIL apply.

Perhaps look at the records and watch some games before you post stuff that is inherently wrong?  You know we beat Philly yet you use them as an example, thanks for the laugh.

This is amazing
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 02:13:49 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
After our win against the Pelicans on 11/26 (that put us a game over .500), I made the following post on Reddit:

Topic:  "8 of our next 9 opponents are .500 or below."

It's a good time to get our **** together:

Cavs - 4-16

Wolves - 11-11

Knicks - 7-16

Bulls - 5-17

Pelicans - 11-11

Wizards - 8-13

Hawks - 5-17

Pistons - 11-7

Suns - 4-17

Detroit is the only team with a winning record and it's not like we can't beat them. Even if we play mediocre basketball, we could reasonably be taking a 10 game win streak into our matchup with the Bucks on December 21.

So from that standpoint, I'm not terribly impressed with the 8 game win streak.  It was a lot of creampuffs.  Even when we were playing bad basketball, I expected us to win those games.  The only team I was worried about was Detroit - and they predictably beat us.

The wins against Philly, the Bucks and Raptors are great.  That's reason for encouragement.  This team obviously has the ability to beat anyone on any given night.  The problem is that Hayward still isn't playing at a star level and we're currently a 1 all-star team built around Kyrie Irving... if we lose against the Bucks and the new-look Sixers this month and Hayward still is looking like he's a long way away from being 100% - things are going to get restless again pretty quickly.  Both the Bucks and Sixers have made improvements and the Kawhi might be the new LeBron of the east come playoff time... those 3 teams along with us should all be in the mix for the conference finals.  No guarantees we get that far.

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 02:59:08 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
If we want to have a chance to challenge GS, guys like Tatum, Jaylen, Rozier have to be on last playoffs level. It's a high level and still won't guarantee anything, but we'll have a chance. It's because our East C. opponents are way better than last year. With this curret form of those players, we'll never reach the NBA Finals.

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 04:49:33 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
After our win against the Pelicans on 11/26 (that put us a game over .500), I made the following post on Reddit:

Cavs - 4-16

Wolves - 11-11

Knicks - 7-16

Bulls - 5-17

Pelicans - 11-11

Wizards - 8-13

Hawks - 5-17

Pistons - 11-7

Suns - 4-17

Detroit is the only team with a winning record and it's not like we can't beat them. Even if we play mediocre basketball, we could reasonably be taking a 10 game win streak into our matchup with the Bucks on December 21.

So from that standpoint, I'm not terribly impressed with the 8 game win streak.  It was a lot of creampuffs.  Even when we were playing bad basketball, I expected us to win those games.  The only team I was worried about was Detroit - and they predictably beat us.

The wins against Philly, the Bucks and Raptors are great.  That's reason for encouragement.  This team obviously has the ability to beat anyone on any given night.  The problem is that Hayward still isn't playing at a star level and we're currently a 1 all-star team built around Kyrie Irving... if we lose against the Bucks and the new-look Sixers this month and Hayward still is looking like he's a long way away from being 100% - things are going to get restless again pretty quickly.  Both the Bucks and Sixers have made improvements and the Kawhi might be the new LeBron of the east come playoff time... those 3 teams along with us should all be in the mix for the conference finals.  No guarantees we get that far.

Fair points. Let me throw in that the 8 out of 9 wins we strung together over that stretch we're nearly all one sided beat downs where our hitherto herky jerky offense clicked. The sort of one sided beat downs we are supposed to dish out to teams of that Calibre as contenders operating at our optimum level.

This tells me that at least at level of basic understanding of roles and execution of the play book, we are in a good place. Having said that this new good look offense does need to be tested by proper defense, but for now, so far so good
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 05:24:34 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
FWIW, ESPN has us in the bottom 5 of strength of schedule so far.   

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 05:57:11 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Cavs - 4-16

Wolves - 11-11

Knicks - 7-16

Bulls - 5-17

Pelicans - 11-11

Wizards - 8-13

Hawks - 5-17

Pistons - 11-7

Suns - 4-17

Hot take.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 07:01:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I stand corrected...

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 08:21:18 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Well, in response to this good point, the Celtics are undefeated against the warriors in the playoffs  over the past 3 years. So there is that.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Well, in response to this good point, the Celtics are undefeated against the warriors in the playoffs  over the past 3 years. So there is that.  ;)
that is true.  TP.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 07:47:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Cavs - 4-16

Wolves - 11-11

Knicks - 7-16

Bulls - 5-17

Pelicans - 11-11

Wizards - 8-13

Hawks - 5-17

Pistons - 11-7

Suns - 4-17

Not that I'm denying anything you say, but I'm pretty sure MIL, TOR, PHI and IND have also played those creampuffs this season and have feasted on them too.  :P

We had trouble doing that earlier in the season, but now we're taking care of business.

FWIW, ESPN has us in the bottom 5 of strength of schedule so far.   

PHI is also in the bottom-10 in that category, and MIL and TOR have both had tougher schedules lately and stumbled as a result. MIL 6-4 last 10 games, TOR just 5-5. That a sign? The Celtics are currently the 5th seed but are just 3.5 back of 1st, even though folks thought the other teams ahead of them would start "running away". Toronto still could, but I think we pass MIL, IND and PHI sometime in the coming month. Only 1 back of PHI and 1.5 back of MIL/IND.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 07:50:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Point differential tends to be a better indicator of where a team will end up in terms of overall record, and right now the Celts have the third best point differential in the conference, just a hair behind the Raptors.

It's true that beating bad teams isn't especially impressive, but absolutely demolishing them, historically, suggests that a team will finish with a good regular season record.

That said, it seems likely that having home court advantage will make a big difference against the Bucks, Raptors, and Sixers.  The Celts still haven't shown enough to instill confidence that they'll be able to overtake the Raps or Bucks in terms of record.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain