Author Topic: Referring to Miami as the "cHeat" isn't cool  (Read 18986 times)

Re: Referring to Miami as the "cHeat" isn't cool
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Making fun the HEAT is an art , and a fun pastime. 

I'm sure the Heat players love the attention.

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 10:41:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It sure beats the other numerous profane names I usually call them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:49:26 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I think the best nickname for the team from Miami is "The Miami Sucks."

"I root for The Sucks"

"I am a big Sucks fan." Lebron is a "Suck."

I don't see what is juvenile about that. At all.

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Freedom of speech!

Beat the cHeat!! (even though they're probably going to win again this year, with a little "help" from David Stern, like last year.)

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 10:57:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Freedom of speech!

Beat the cHeat!! (even though they're probably going to win again this year, with a little "help" from David Stern, like last year.)

This forum has rules that we, as users, must all abide by. Gotta have order. A forum without rules is no fun for anyone!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Lebron is the one who should be deeply hurt and offended best player in the league and making less than max salary.  I do not like Pat Riley and his serious ability to BS.  Let's not get into the Ray Allen situation.

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 12:12:07 AM »

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
This must be some sort of joke by someone who is very, very bored today.

I cannot fathom someone being offended by the terms cHeat or Fakers.  I cannot even fathom fans of the Heat or Lakers being offended by those terms.

Heck, Celtics fans on this site have worse comments about Doc, Bass, and Terry on a nightly basis.

And, please, let's have the Blog Police back off on the rhetoric of rules.  Neither term is derogatory or offensive.  Both terms can be defended with video and written evidence.  No one has attacked or ridiculed the writer of this post.  No one has said anything derogatory or offensive.  If everyone was forced to cater to every single person's sensitivities, then there wouldn't even be a blog.  The line has been drawn on this site many times.  This discussion is clearly on the safe side.

And, I'd still like the writer to spend more than one sentence explaining why either of those terms is offensive, or why he (or she) considers them not cool.

The terms don't look dumb.  They're actually quite fresh and clever.  I especially like the little "c" before Heat.  They're also descriptive of the teams in question.

Please, sir (or madam), explain yourself.

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 12:24:31 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
This must be some sort of joke by someone who is very, very bored today.

I cannot fathom someone being offended by the terms cHeat or Fakers.  I cannot even fathom fans of the Heat or Lakers being offended by those terms.

Heck, Celtics fans on this site have worse comments about Doc, Bass, and Terry on a nightly basis.

And, please, let's have the Blog Police back off on the rhetoric of rules.  Neither term is derogatory or offensive.  Both terms can be defended with video and written evidence.  No one has attacked or ridiculed the writer of this post.  No one has said anything derogatory or offensive.  If everyone was forced to cater to every single person's sensitivities, then there wouldn't even be a blog.  The line has been drawn on this site many times.  This discussion is clearly on the safe side.

And, I'd still like the writer to spend more than one sentence explaining why either of those terms is offensive, or why he (or she) considers them not cool.

The terms don't look dumb.  They're actually quite fresh and clever.  I especially like the little "c" before Heat.  They're also descriptive of the teams in question.

Please, sir (or madam), explain yourself.
Maybe he's a Heat fan?!?!  :)

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 12:30:59 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's fine if people want to use those kinds of nicknames for teams or players, but they've always seemed a bit childish in an uncreative way to me.  Kinda reminds me of the sort of person who likes to constantly ask their coworkers if they're working hard or hardly working, and it makes it hard for me to take the opinions linked to them seriously. 

But there's nothing wrong with it - if people want to do it, more power to them.  It's not half as obnoxious as when people do it in politics, anyway. 

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 12:36:59 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Whoa whoa whoa mister grandstand. Speaking as one of those 'blog police' (we prefer the term 'dignified unpaid and under appreciated hall monitors', but whatever), the only two comments from actual mods have been 'I don't like it, because it isn't clever or funny'.

You guys can use whatever cheesy mildly derogatory nicknames you want, as long as they aren't profane, or a veiled sexual innuendo, and don't violate any other site rules.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I also don't like it, but i think in general most of those nicknames are dumb.

Not because I don't like jokes that make fun of basketball players...I just think its a bad joke.

Yeah.  I think it's fine to heap scorn on Miami and LA; I just think that "Cheat" and "Fakers" are juvenile nicknames.  Folks can be more creative than that.
Agreed.

It is juvenile because it is name-calling.

Next, someone will argue that Pierce is better than Lebron because Lebron is a doodie-head.

Could it be that for certain people, when a team like the Heat is better than the team they root for, they have nothing left to but call names?

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 12:59:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Name calling, though juvenile, does help promote the creation of rivalries which happens to be a very healthy thing in the world of sports. And let's face it, isn't it the juvenile kid in all of us that is making us love watching grown men play a children's game?

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 12:59:56 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It sure beats the other numerous profane names I usually call them.

lol I was thinking the same thing tp

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 02:10:25 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
You know what isn't cool, calling a Los Angeles basketball team the Lakers.  There hasn't been a lake in the Los Angeles area since the Paleozoic area.  When they left Minneapolis for LA they should have changed their name to the Glitz or the Glamor or the Showtime.

LOL

Besides being potentially juvenile, I'd love to hear a reasonable argument about why referring to the Heat as cHeat or Lakers as Fakers isn't "cool."

Are we hurting the organizations' feelings?  How about the players' or the fans' feelings?

In my opinion, Wade is one of the dirtiest players in NBA history (lest we forget Rondo's elbow or the Collison shove), and I consider being dirty a form of cheating, and he and LeBron are two of the biggest floppers in the NBA, and I consider flopping a form of cheating.  So, the name cHeat accurately refers to them, in my opinion.

And, for the Lakers... come on.  Is there anything genuine about Los Angeles or the Lakers' Hollywood fan base?  Nothing could be more fake, not even Jack Nicholson's peraly dentures.  Fake defines Los Angeles.  So, the name Fakers is apt.

You know what isn't cool, calling a Los Angeles basketball team the Lakers.  There hasn't been a lake in the Los Angeles area since the Paleozoic area.  When they left Minneapolis for LA they should have changed their name to the Glitz or the Glamor or the Showtime.

Because it isn't clever, looks pretty dumb, and offends me

It offends you?

deeply and personally

Did you get cheated on by lebron?

yes

EDIT: For clarification, to clear my context - I wasn't staying it wasn't cool, as in it shouldn't be done.

I meant that it doesn't make you cool by doing it

Discuss

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2013, 02:16:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It begs the question: What exactly is it that a man can say that makes him 'cool' on an Internet forum dedicated to the Boston Celtics? I'm not asking for me, just for a friend of course.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner