Poll

Should CelticsBlog restrict scores, identifying the winner, etc. in thread titles?

Yes, lots of fans DVR games and then watch later;
24 (38.7%)
No, by coming to a basketball forum you risk being "spoiled"
38 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?  (Read 25022 times)

Re: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I really wish there was a no spoilers rule. I live in China and have to watch games on delay. Sometimes China just shuts the internet down to a holt and I can't watch games. After I get it back, I can't come one here because I am 3 or 4 games back. I would like to still read something celtics related, but I can't. Please make this rule change happen!

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 03:26:16 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Admittedly I haven't read entirely through this thread and I haven't applied a great deal of thought to this, but I do think that spoilers should be restricted from thread titles.

Yeah it's a sports forum.  But there's little reason to include the results of a game in a thread title itself.  For example, you could simply title the thread "Spurs vs GSW 3/19/16", and then have the results in the message body.  Doing this doesn't detract from discussion pertaining to the game.  Thought differently, what advantage/benefit does having the results in the actual thread title provide?  I can't think of any.

Many users, including myself, have CelticsBlog or these forums as their "home page" or as a highly frequented site.  If someone wants to go through the forums before he/she watches a DVR'd game, then they should be able to do that free of spoilers.

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2016, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I voted that "spoilers" shouldn't be restricted, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a bit of common courtesy as far as what you put in thread titles.

There's really no reason to put the result in the title of a thread other than to be purposefully annoying.

I understand that the Internet, the world in general, for that matter, is a risk if you don't want to know the result, but still . . .

Courtesy is nice.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2016, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Admittedly I haven't read entirely through this thread and I haven't applied a great deal of thought to this, but I do think that spoilers should be restricted from thread titles.

Yeah it's a sports forum.  But there's little reason to include the results of a game in a thread title itself.  For example, you could simply title the thread "Spurs vs GSW 3/19/16", and then have the results in the message body.  Doing this doesn't detract from discussion pertaining to the game.  Thought differently, what advantage/benefit does having the results in the actual thread title provide?  I can't think of any.

Many users, including myself, have CelticsBlog or these forums as their "home page" or as a highly frequented site.  If someone wants to go through the forums before he/she watches a DVR'd game, then they should be able to do that free of spoilers.
I agree. Can't go crazy with it but putting score in title doesn't add anything

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2016, 05:21:09 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I voted yes, absolutely.

But I also hate entitlement, and I think by coming to a forum you're obviously risking/asking to see spoilers.  I don't personally understand why someone would feel like they can/should browse forums and read about basketball, before they're up to date on all their basketball; you make your own luck (and I think the poll might be worded or biased in a way that makes people want to vote for the no option).

I also typically prefer things unregulated and uncensored (I'm an American and I prefer freedom), but again, by coming to this forum I'm agreeing to regulation and censorship, which are absolutely necessary in my opinion (and I'd say both are done well and fairly by our mods).  Internet forums are certainly not the place for complete freedom/anarchy and I accept that we need to give the mods the power to censor (which luckily they do without corruption).

In this case, however, do people really NEED to say "SA beats GSW 87-79" in the title, and is it such an inconvenience to instead put "Spurs/Warriors game" in the title and then "SA beats GSW 87-79" in the OP?  Is it really so important that it's seen in the title and not after someone opens the thread?

Only reason I really care and voted yes, is because sometimes I'll DVR a Celtics game, then wake up the next morning exhausted (or occasionally, still drunk), and I instinctively go to these forums as part of my every morning routine, forgetting there was a Celtics game the night before.

And even though I sound like the Slowski's complaining about internet that's too fast, I remember within a second of clicking the tab that I hadn't seen the game yet, but about half the time that's too late and the spoiler is etched in my brain as I race for Alt-F4 to close it out.

Yes, I'm an idiot.  I probably shouldn't be voting for any more censorship than necessary, and should train myself to be smarter instead.  But I voted yes.  I don't think it's something I'll ever be able to stop doing.  I understand this would affect the forum as a news source, but I guess that's an okay trade-off for me (perhaps I'm naive).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2016, 05:41:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I voted yes, absolutely.

But I also hate entitlement, and I think by coming to a forum you're obviously risking/asking to see spoilers.  I don't personally understand why someone would feel like they can/should browse forums and read about basketball, before they're up to date on all their basketball; you make your own luck (and I think the poll might be worded or biased in a way that makes people want to vote for the no option).

I also typically prefer things unregulated and uncensored (I'm an American and I prefer freedom), but again, by coming to this forum I'm agreeing to regulation and censorship, which are absolutely necessary in my opinion (and I'd say both are done well and fairly by our mods).  Internet forums are certainly not the place for complete freedom/anarchy and I accept that we need to give the mods the power to censor (which luckily they do without corruption).

In this case, however, do people really NEED to say "SA beats GSW 87-79" in the title, and is it such an inconvenience to instead put "Spurs/Warriors game" in the title and then "SA beats GSW 87-79" in the OP?  Is it really so important that it's seen in the title and not after someone opens the thread?

Only reason I really care and voted yes, is because sometimes I'll DVR a Celtics game, then wake up the next morning exhausted (or occasionally, still drunk), and I instinctively go to these forums as part of my every morning routine, forgetting there was a Celtics game the night before.

And even though I sound like the Slowski's complaining about internet that's too fast, I remember within a second of clicking the tab that I hadn't seen the game yet, but about half the time that's too late and the spoiler is etched in my brain as I race for Alt-F4 to close it out.

Yes, I'm an idiot.  I probably shouldn't be voting for any more censorship than necessary, and should train myself to be smarter instead.  But I voted yes.  I don't think it's something I'll ever be able to stop doing.  I understand this would affect the forum as a news source, but I guess that's an okay trade-off for me (perhaps I'm naive).

So tell me what's next??

If Celtics wins a series in the 1st round,   make the title ,  "Celtics and the playoffs" for the next round??     Make it as generic as possible?   Other individual threads will pop up giving clues as to who won the game can't go up either??

"Celtics beat the Bucks 79-70 , move to next round"  "Celtics move to the next round"  "Celtics vs Raptors for round 2"

It makes little to no difference.   A win is a win. Just not having the score listed on the title will not make watching the pre recorded game any more enjoyable. You already know who won. 

And please don't say the excuse bc it is the playoffs. It is different.   It's not.  Timezone hurdle is still there

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Watch the pre recorded game before checking the news/going on the net is the safest ways.  If I pre recorded a Celtics game I can't ask the CB forum to halt their activity for a sec until I'm done watching.     

You are going to see Curry misses 11 threes.   OR Leonard was a stud type of topics even if you place a restriction to placing scores on titles.

Fine you can skip these discussion and avoid going into it . But somewhere in a non related discussion, you might see

"Celtics are strong at home but not as strong as the Spurs who are now 35-0"

So are we going to take this "restriction" to individual posts next?

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2016, 05:50:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Things we won't ever do:

Restrict "spoilers" about Celtics games or news;

Restrict spoilers about trades, free agents, etc.;

Restrict discussion of game results within relevant threads themselves

This is really only about whether it makes sense to keep non-Celtic basketball thread titles spoiler-free.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2016, 05:57:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Things we won't ever do:

This is really only about whether it makes sense to keep non-Celtic basketball thread titles spoiler-free.

why is this different than the other three above?? (especially 1 and 3)

We are celtics fans first. Wouldn't you care to death not to find out about the score/spoilers about a celtics game vs non related celtics games

So with this in mind, i'm guessing Chambers for example 1) watches pre recorded celtics games before visiting the forum 2) comes here anyways , see what is up. And still watches the game afterwards

suggestion

If you do 1)  just do it for non related Celts games too

If you do 2) why complain about non related Celtics games spoilers

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2016, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Things we won't ever do:

Thank you for clarifying. I get the idea that people are thinking Cs content is going to be restricted and that wasn't the original point. It is very small portion of actual forum topics so it's not a huge deal anyway.

And, triboy, you didn't do anything wrong at all - Roy just wanted to see what people generally thought about the topic. Unfortunately our overseas community members are going to be out of luck with Cs related news.

One of the problems, if instituted, is that this information probably won't be relayed to new members or people who aren't on CB this weekend. It will be a very difficult rule to enforce unless somebody just egregiously lists all the scores each night.

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
We are celtics fans first. Wouldn't you care to death not to find out about the score/spoilers about a celtics game vs non related celtics games

100 percent agree with this.

It seems like complete backwards logic to care about spoiling other teams' games, while at the same time, not caring that you still spoil Celtic games and now ONLY Celtic games?

Lol, that almost seems cruel.

Is it too late to make the poll so that voters can change their vote?  I didn't fully understand the proposal when I voted.
Philly:

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Watch the pre recorded game before checking the news/going on the net is the safest ways.  If I pre recorded a Celtics game I can't ask the CB forum to halt their activity for a sec until I'm done watching.     

You are going to see Curry misses 11 threes.   OR Leonard was a stud type of topics even if you place a restriction to placing scores on titles.

Fine you can skip these discussion and avoid going into it . But somewhere in a non related discussion, you might see

"Celtics are strong at home but not as strong as the Spurs who are now 35-0"

So are we going to take this "restriction" to individual posts next?

No, we are simply asking you to not put the score or results of games in your topic titles so other members-particularly those living internationally-can use Celticsblog during the dayband lower the chance that their evening of enjoying basketball like USA members get to enjoy isn't ruined.
 Of course every now and then, some new member on the forums might make a topic that gives away the result.
But if community regulars like you remember to avoid putting scorrs/results in topic titles then it makes celticsblog much better for international members.

Why is it so hard to start a thread without the score/result?
I first asked you in the thread you started last time and you ignored  me. I then asked you in your most recent thread  and you ignored me.
In fact the only recent threads i remember with spoilers  were your two threads. 

Please try and put the arguments aside and just consider other forum members. Do it to be a decent community member? That way we don't  need a 'rule' to be written, just an understanding that people can remind other members about if they forget.

What's so hard about active forum members being decent human beings? You've seen the replies to the thread and how annoying it is for many users. Just make an effort is all I'm asking.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:18:57 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
I use this place not only as a discussion board, but also a news source.  So when it comes to something like Spurs beat GSW, you're not spoiling anything for me, you're teaching me something.  That's part of why I come here.

When it comes to something like Celtics beat Philly, and I don't know that yet, it's a huge bummer/spoiler.

Maybe I'm a rare case, but I would actually like to be able to come to the forum and learn about things around the league, or post my thoughts about Deflate-gate or stickum-gate, or even discuss current events, while still having an unwatched Celtic game on DVR.  I hate the feeling of avoiding this place when I haven't seen a Celtic game, but it's something I've learned to deal with.
Philly:

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
It's a live sports event not a normal tv show.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

100 percent agree with this.

It seems like complete backwards logic to care about spoiling other teams' games, while at the same time, not caring that you still spoil Celtic games and now ONLY Celtic games?

Lol, that almost seems cruel.

Is it too late to make the poll so that voters can change their vote?  I didn't fully understand the proposal when I voted.

With Cs scores in particular, the front page articles will always be considered 'spoilers' since a new story is posted almost immediately after every win or loss.