Author Topic: Olympics: What sports are you most looking forward to? (besides basketball)  (Read 10093 times)

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Since they are making a big deal out of showing more of the games then ever, what sport are you look most forward to?

Also, which sport do you not care about but are probably going to end up watching?

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
the thing with the olympics, i always watch as much of it as i can.

i don't care about weight-lifting, but i always find it intriguing. i always find ice skating to be soothing. gymnastics, often mesmerizing. and others that i have no interest in that i love to watch.

every four years though, i really enjoy the swimming - will phelps beat spitz's record? i love the sprints and hurdles (100m & 200m). as well as the athletics (javelin, discuss etc).

i just love the games as a whole, the history of it and the hype surrounding it.

side note - this opening ceremony is awesome.

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
the thing with the olympics, i always watch as much of it as i can.

i don't care about weight-lifting, but i always find it intriguing. i always find ice skating to be soothing. gymnastics, often mesmerizing. and others that i have no interest in that i love to watch.

every four years though, i really enjoy the swimming - will phelps beat spitz's record? i love the sprints and hurdles (100m & 200m). as well as the athletics (javelin, discuss etc).

i just love the games as a whole, the history of it and the hype surrounding it.

side note - this opening ceremony is awesome.

Not on here until 7:30.  (10 hours from now)

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

is it not live?

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

is it not live?

Most people are at work.  They will tape delay all big events. 

I am sure there is a way to watch it live online. 

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

is it not live?

Most people are at work.  They will tape delay all big events. 

I am sure there is a way to watch it live online. 

yeah there will be i'm sure.

i suppose with a taped version you wont get all the boring stuff, but this hasn't really had any boring moments. picturesque and just beautiful imagery. think jet li's "hero" on a bigger scale.

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The opening ceremony is not live, but most of the other events will be.  Last olympic's ceremony was the best in my opinion, with Tiesto spinning and everything.  I told my parents to record the ceremony for me this year.

By the way, an awesome feature this year is that you can go to the NBC website and watch entire games of most events online with great quality.  Yesterday I was watching the Brazil Belgium game at 10am even though the actual game was at 5am.

Besides basketball, I really like watching track and I hope I'll have a chance to see some volleyball games.  Soccer is always fun and gymnastics and swimming is always fun too.  In the end, I like just sitting in front of the TV and watching whatever is on.  The best are the stories that come along with it, so even though the main NBC channel might not have footage of full games, they always talk about the athletes.
Baby Jesus!

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I look forward to the handball tournament.
Denmark are European Champions and if they
play at their best, they may go all the way.

Also looking forward to the shot-put contest,
where Denmark also has a fairly good chance
of a medal. The Danes are great at rowing, too,
but I find it oh so boring  ::)

And then I'm hoping for some funny moments as well.
You know, the "second coming" of Eddie the Eagle
or that really slow swimmer from a few years back.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The only sport I intend to follow is swimming, to see how Phelps does.  I doubt I'll even watch much of the basketball, unless the U.S. is involved in some competitive games.

Other than that, I'll keep track of the overall medal count, and will root on the U.S.  In terms of the actual events, though, I doubt I'll be doing much watching.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm more into the Winter Games myself.

Probably watch some swimming.  Short distance track stuff.  USA Basketball.  Probably glance at some other stuff. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I can get sucked into gymnastics...water polo amazes me somewhat, but it's hard to follow...women's volleyball has its moments
Yup

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I like very much water polo and volleyball (i like football too but the olympic tournament is not good). I usually watch many games and not just the finals. Swimming is also something i like to watch but mainly finals.

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I am truly not interested in the Olympics.  In 1992, the hoops interested me, but that's about it.

That being said, I am a strong admirer of rhythm gymnastics!
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Swimming...I used to swim competitively so I follow it pretty closely. Will be pulling for Phelps and Katie Hoff especially.

Also the baseball to see how Matt LaPorta does.

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
And then I'm hoping for some funny moments as well.
You know, the "second coming" of Eddie the Eagle
or that really slow swimmer from a few years back

You wouldnt know where to find a youtube video for that would you?  I remember my brother telling me about it and quickly watching a highlight of it, but I wanna see it again.  From what I rememeber, it was an emotional moment too.  I mean, they said the guy had never practiced in a real olympic swimming pool.
Baby Jesus!