Author Topic: Favorite Pro Wrestler of all-time  (Read 53529 times)

Re: Favorite Pro Wrestler of all-time
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
The Rock is probably my favorite, he was the best promo/mic guy in the business...it's unfortunate he'll never wrestle again.

Never say never!  This is wrestling - anything can happen

Oh trust me I would absolutely love it, he would probably get the biggest pop in the history of wrestling if he decided to come back. Unfortunately, from everything I've read, Dwayne Johnson is trying to distance himself from wrestling and 'The Rock'. He's also trimmed down a lot for his movie career.

We can always hold out hope that the main event at Wrestlemania 25 might be The Rock and Stone Cold, in a sort of one night only match. How awesome would that be...

It could always be one of those celebrity appearance type things that somehow turn into a melee

I think the Rock is really the only one who has "made it" into hollywood out of pro wrestling without having to look back - Piper had his cup of coffee (they live), Hogan had Thunder in Paradise along with some god awful movies (except as Thunderlips, that was a solid role) - but the Rock has been in countless motion pictures, he's transcended wrestling, something that has been almost impossible
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Rock is probably my favorite, he was the best promo/mic guy in the business...it's unfortunate he'll never wrestle again.

Oh trust me I would absolutely love it, he would probably get the biggest pop in the history of wrestling if he decided to come back. Unfortunately, from everything I've read, Dwayne Johnson is trying to distance himself from wrestling and 'The Rock'. He's also trimmed down a lot for his movie career.

We can always hold out hope that the main event at Wrestlemania 25 might be The Rock and Stone Cold, in a sort of one night only match. How awesome would that be...

It could always be one of those celebrity appearance type things that somehow turn into a melee

I think the Rock is really the only one who has "made it" into hollywood out of pro wrestling without having to look back - Piper had his cup of coffee (they live), Hogan had Thunder in Paradise along with some god awful movies (except as Thunderlips, that was a solid role) - but the Rock has been in countless motion pictures, he's transcended wrestling, something that has been almost impossible

I remember the Rock on SNL before he started getting in movies, and you could see that he had enough charisma to do the actor thing (he'll never win an Oscar but he can be entertaining and hold himself with other actors).  He had one really funny scene for the Sopranos or something, and the Nick Cigarette Patch guy
Yup

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
No mention of Sting yet?  He was great in the UWF and early in his career in WCW before he stopped doing roids and changed to the Crow character.

My favorites were Andre the Giant, Ultimate Warrior, The Rock, Stone Cold, Hogan and the British Bulldogs.

I liked all the giant guys, like King Kong Bundy, El Gigante, Big Show, Big John Studd.  The genetic freaks were interesting too, like Goldberg, Batista, Brock Lesnar, Warlord.

One guy I didn't appreciate until I got older was Ric Flair.  I loved the WWF and didn't like NWA, so he was the guy you had to hate.  I used to think he was just a small fat guy who always got beat up.  He should hang 'em up though.

The best move is the camel clutch.  It's good to use in real life too.  You can win a fight without actually beating someone up.

Also, earlier someone mentioned Lanny Poffo and Randy Savage in the same sentence.  They are brothers.  Randy Savage is actually Randy Poffo.

And as morbid as that death list is it was interesting.  I find myself checking the death list periodically because it seems like someone else shows up every few months.  It's sad.

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:19 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I had the choice to see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade or No Holds Barred. Let's just say, I chose poorly. :(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Sgt Slaughter or Ivan Putski...then again george the animal steele was pretty great.  Of course this was before wrestling became "fake"
 ;)

« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Nikolai Volkoff, Iron Sheek, Mean Gene Oakerlean, Moth of the south, Jake the Snake roberts, British Bulldog, Mike Steele, Undertaker, King Kong Bundy, Andrea the Giant,
Road Warriors, Randy Savage, Jesse Ventura, Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Bobby nHeenan
Million Dollar Man, The Islanders, Rick Rude, Brutus the Beffcake,Honky Tonk Man, Rick Martel, Tito "Santell, Bush Whackers Big Boss Man ........Guys I could go on for ever. When I was A kid in the 80's I watched four things Celtics, Pats Sox and WWF!!!!

L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2008, 09:57:28 PM »

Offline YouveBeenPierced

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
X Pac... no question

« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Junk Yard Dog will always be my favorite along with the hulk and Jimmy Super fly
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I just want to say I'm disappointed in each and everyone of you.  No mention of Trish Stratus yet?  ;D  Let's just say if we all had the choice to meet any wrestler ever, she'd probably be the first person on every single one of our lists. I would post a picture, but I don't think the mods would like it.  ;)

And now some of the coolest things (that I can find video of) that I've seen in pro wrestling:

Warning, first video is not for the faint hearted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHq85cSIzK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIDqHw01vo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnl-Q_daRTw

For the last video, I was there live at No Way Out in 2000.  When Mick Foley/Mankind/Cactus Jack fell through the cage and then through the ring, I thought no way was that planned, he's dead, he ain't moving, it's over.  Guess I was really sucked into the moment.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:21:44 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just wanted to throw a shout out for the first bad guy I ever liked.

Larry Zybisco.

Back when the WWE was the WWWF on Saturday morning only, UHF television and every match was as boring as they got and you saw a world championship match(single or for the titles) only once every year or so, Larry was Bruno Samartino's apprentice/protege.

They tagged together and Bruno would be at Larry's matches all the time, even the squash matches which were the ones on television mostly back then.

And then the WWWF did something they never did. They turned good guy Larry into a backstabbing, ungreatful, attention grabbing dink. And they played the entire fued out over television with constant run in's and ambushes and the like on Bruno. Almost every week.

Back then you were lucky to see Bruno wrestle on television 6 times a year. Bruno was always the gate attraction you had to pay to see. To see him on television so much in a public fued was awesome TV. They never gave the belt to Zybisco so he went south but that fued is one of the WWE's most famous fueds ever. It's how Larry stole his "Living Legend" monika from Bruno.

I loved Larry because when they finally let him loose on the mic he could talk and Bruno on the mic was a human Ambien pill. It was just so much more fun to like Larry.

It's what made Ric Flair so great because, except for Dusty Rhodes, most of the good guys in NWA couldn't talk either. It made Flair so much more watchable and likable even if you did want to see him lose every week only to see him do it but retain the title nonetheless.

« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2008, 10:40:57 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
alot of foley love in this t.but no mention of the old japanese death matches he and terry funk used to have:

part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR_L2UL_C7s

part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMHa6xBRyqQ&feature=related

(dont know if these are too violent to post...if so i apologize. mods can remove them if they are)

« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:47 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

my fav finisher out there today is from homicide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqCgUJjWR0

« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
nice gomesfan, finally some love for Brutus Beefcake... :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:09 PM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
Stone Cold Steve Austin....hands down my favorite wrestler of all time.

« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2008, 11:39:11 PM »

Offline celt4ever

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2
Carlos Romero Barcelo

jejejejejeje his last fight he lost