Author Topic: Official 2008 U.S. Open Thread  (Read 24333 times)

Re: Official 2008 U.S. Open Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 10:01:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tiger just finished his last hole with a birdie to tie for the lead going into Saturday.

Huh, let's see if I have this right. Tiger hasn't played competitive golf in 4-5 weeks, had knee surgery, played 18 holes of golf this week to get the rust off, is still gimping around and hurting bad at times and is leading the US Open.

Can we just give him the title now and save two days worth of golf. The man is hurting afterall trying to rehab a bum knee. I think it's only fair we give him the title because he's going to win it anyway.

That way he can rest up, take a few more weeks off, go to the driving range for a half hour and then go dominate the British Open.

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 10:25:12 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Tiger just finished his last hole with a birdie to tie for the lead going into Saturday.

Huh, let's see if I have this right. Tiger hasn't played competitive golf in 4-5 weeks, had knee surgery, played 18 holes of golf this week to get the rust off, is still gimping around and hurting bad at times and is leading the US Open.

Can we just give him the title now and save two days worth of golf. The man is hurting afterall trying to rehab a bum knee. I think it's only fair we give him the title because he's going to win it anyway.

That way he can rest up, take a few more weeks off, go to the driving range for a half hour and then go dominate the British Open.

Agreed.  He ended up one off the lead but will be right there teeing it up in the last groups tomorrow.  Another under par round and he should have the lead.  Seeing how he controlled his ball today and putted the ball well, I think this one might be a done deal.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 10:13:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Tiger Woods is taking a page out of Pierce's book.  Absolutely incredible.

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »

Offline 86 Celtics

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Incredible round by Tiger today - those two eagles and chip-in on the back nine were crazy!!!!  A perfect Father's Day for me will be getting a call from my son in the Marines, a Celtics Championship in LA (sweet revenge for 87), and Tiger winning the US Open.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 11:05:47 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Truly amazing golf by Tiger ... and the perfect example of how the greatest athletes find some way to overcome adversity ... and in a big way. Honestly some of the greatest golf I've ever seen, and being played by a guy in obvious pain. I hope he can hang on and pull this one out .. there's never been anyone who deserved a win more than Tiger in this one ... tomorrow should be quite a day in sports!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 11:16:03 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
If i score less than 89 tomorrow
tiger will win
u know  ;)I will play with the odds
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 05:43:07 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
if tiger is anywhere near as hurt as he is letting on, there is no way he should be out there. that was the luckiest round of golf ever played. how else in the us open, the most penal golf venue these guys play, do you spray the vast majority of your tee shots and get a perfect lie every time at a us open? and chipping it way too hard, but it hits the flag pin, and drops into the hole for an eagle? i have never seen that.

he is an amezing talent and he managed to hole some long putts, but that was just luck on his side today. and forgive me if i do not buy this injured knee stuff.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 08:27:57 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i love casually watching/playing golf but i couldn't hold my own in a conversation.

tiger woods to win :D

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
if tiger is anywhere near as hurt as he is letting on, there is no way he should be out there. that was the luckiest round of golf ever played. how else in the us open, the most penal golf venue these guys play, do you spray the vast majority of your tee shots and get a perfect lie every time at a us open? and chipping it way too hard, but it hits the flag pin, and drops into the hole for an eagle? i have never seen that.

he is an amezing talent and he managed to hole some long putts, but that was just luck on his side today. and forgive me if i do not buy this injured knee stuff.

Luck had nothing to do with those lies and hitting the flag pin. Tim Donaghy told investigator's that this US Open is fixed and the refs are doing everything possible to have Tiger win because the PGA wants the increased revenues from TV ratings because Tiger is a ratings king.

Or it could be that even at 50% Tiger is still 50% better than any other golfer alive.

IMO it's the latter but lots of people seem to be believing Tim Donaghy these days.

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 10:23:31 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I can't deny the luck thing (although golf involves a whole lot of luck in general), but the injury is real.  He would have to be the best actor in the world to be faking this.

I think the only reason he is still able to play is that his knee only really hurts bad when he takes a big swing, and then it goes away pretty quickly.

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163

Luck had nothing to do with those lies and hitting the flag pin. Tim Donaghy told investigator's that this US Open is fixed and the refs are doing everything possible to have Tiger win because the PGA wants the increased revenues from TV ratings because Tiger is a ratings king.

Or it could be that even at 50% Tiger is still 50% better than any other golfer alive.

IMO it's the latter but lots of people seem to be believing Tim Donaghy these days.

what kind of lie one draws on the rough is all luck. it is 100% chance. one guy hits it in the rough and has no play at the green, the next guy hits it two yards to the right, and it is a perfect lie.

but to miss the fairway at a US Open and draw perect lie after perfect lie, that is luck. to hit a flagstick 16 inches off the ground and watch it drop into the hole, that is luck. anyone who has ever played golf will tell you that. he hit the ball a mile off the fairway at 13, drew a perfect lie, hit an amazing shot, then drained an amazing putt for eagle.

he better start hitting fairways today, or pray for perfect lies in the rough and 60 foot putts  or he will go home empty.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

what kind of lie one draws on the rough is all luck. it is 100% chance. one guy hits it in the rough and has no play at the green, the next guy hits it two yards to the right, and it is a perfect lie.

but to miss the fairway at a US Open and draw perect lie after perfect lie, that is luck. to hit a flagstick 16 inches off the ground and watch it drop into the hole, that is luck. anyone who has ever played golf will tell you that. he hit the ball a mile off the fairway at 13, drew a perfect lie, hit an amazing shot, then drained an amazing putt for eagle.

he better start hitting fairways today, or pray for perfect lies in the rough and 60 foot putts  or he will go home empty.
I play plenty of golf, I understand luck in golf. But if Tiger isn't so deadly accurate with his short game, he doesn't hit the flag and it doesn't just drop in. Players hit the flag a bunch on the fly but next to none fall into the hole. He had to have hit an almost perfect shot to have that happen.

As for the lies in the rough you are right, pure luck. But even with good lies in US Open rough, you still have to be an excellent player to get the results he does even from good lies. I've watched the Open extensively the past three days and Tiger isn't the only one getting good lies in the deep rough, but he is one of the few getting good results from hitting off of those good lies.

And I'm not even counting the times he had a horrible lie and was still able to hit a green or advance the ball 50-75 yards further than most.

Some of what happened yesterday was luck. But when you are as good as Tiger, sometimes you make you're own luck and others you are able to take advantage of your luck where the normally great player can't take advantage of it.

Those first two rounds Michelson got a lot of good lies in the rough. But he played stupid shots or hit bad shots and now he is a nonfactor. I think it was Curtis Strange who said either yesterday or Friday that the US Open is all about knowing how to and then performing the act of getting out of trouble giving up the least amount of strokes. That's Tiger.

Luck with some lies, yes. Being better than anyone on the face of the planet at being able to maximize the best results using the luck given is not pure luck, it is greatness personified. Tiger was not the only golfer with good lies. He was just the best golfer at hitting the shots out of those lies.

So please don't try to downplay Tiger results by saying it is luck. That's the equivalent of saying that it was luck that MJ was able to switch hands mid jump and still make the layup. MJ can do that and still hit that shot because he practiced forever to be effective using his left hand and because he has the god given athleticism to perform the act. The same holds true for Tiger. He's practiced those shots forever and has the god given athleticism and talent to maximize his performance on those shots.

Mere mortals shouldn't downplay the accomplishments of such greats as Tiger and MJ, we should marvel and feel lucky that we were able to witness greatness.

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I don't understand the people not "buying" that Tiger is hurt. The guy just had surgery! Are these the same people who claimed that Pierce was faking as well? I'm pumped to watch Tiger try and do something amazing today and then the C's going for 17 tonight. What a great father's day!!!
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27

I play plenty of golf, I understand luck in golf. But if Tiger isn't so deadly accurate with his short game, he doesn't hit the flag and it doesn't just drop in. Players hit the flag a bunch on the fly but next to none fall into the hole. He had to have hit an almost perfect shot to have that happen.

As for the lies in the rough you are right, pure luck. But even with good lies in US Open rough, you still have to be an excellent player to get the results he does even from good lies. I've watched the Open extensively the past three days and Tiger isn't the only one getting good lies in the deep rough, but he is one of the few getting good results from hitting off of those good lies.

And I'm not even counting the times he had a horrible lie and was still able to hit a green or advance the ball 50-75 yards further than most.

Some of what happened yesterday was luck. But when you are as good as Tiger, sometimes you make you're own luck and others you are able to take advantage of your luck where the normally great player can't take advantage of it.

Those first two rounds Michelson got a lot of good lies in the rough. But he played stupid shots or hit bad shots and now he is a nonfactor. I think it was Curtis Strange who said either yesterday or Friday that the US Open is all about knowing how to and then performing the act of getting out of trouble giving up the least amount of strokes. That's Tiger.

Luck with some lies, yes. Being better than anyone on the face of the planet at being able to maximize the best results using the luck given is not pure luck, it is greatness personified. Tiger was not the only golfer with good lies. He was just the best golfer at hitting the shots out of those lies.

So please don't try to downplay Tiger results by saying it is luck. That's the equivalent of saying that it was luck that MJ was able to switch hands mid jump and still make the layup. MJ can do that and still hit that shot because he practiced forever to be effective using his left hand and because he has the god given athleticism to perform the act. The same holds true for Tiger. He's practiced those shots forever and has the god given athleticism and talent to maximize his performance on those shots.

Mere mortals shouldn't downplay the accomplishments of such greats as Tiger and MJ, we should marvel and feel lucky that we were able to witness greatness.

TP Nick, nice post! :)

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Incredible putt by Tiger on 18 to force a playoff tomorrow.

Thing was about a 1/10th of an inch from lipping out. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team