Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 359510 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #915 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I agree that it's bad writing if Glen lives, especially the way the scene was shot.  There's zero chance he would survive with that many walkers chewing on anything alive (or recently dead) in the vicinity.

That said...  I won't be disappointed if he's alive.  I can forgive a little deus ex machina now and then, especially with so few likable cast members.
Honestly, I care a lot more about getting to watch one of my favorite characters than whether I can take threats to main characters credible anymore.

The way this show is designed, I'm actually the opposite when it comes to TWD.  I'm fine watching main characters get killed off here.  Keeps the suspense going and is a mix from traditional television.   It also shows the almost "hopelessness" facing these people.

Bringing Glenn back now after that would bring things down a few notches for me.

Yeah, the plot armor around main characters has been pretty crazy at times - Tyrese pretty much had zombie-killing superpowers before he got randomly snuck up on.  Having Glenn survive this would definitely take the cake though. 

I think the show people are being very coy about this because they want a big shock when zombie Glenn shows up a few episodes from now.  Kinda like when they looked for Carol's daughter (remember when Carol had a daughter?) for half a season before revealing she was a zombie in the barn all along. 

But I could be wrong - maybe they are gonna go full on crazy and have Glenn miraculously break free somehow.  Episode 3 is a little early to kill a main character.  But I thought it was a nice conclusion to the subplot of Glenn trusting an apocalypse loser (unlike Rick), plus his character just not having much to do lately.

« Reply #916 on: November 01, 2015, 10:13:59 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
So, does anyone else see the ridiculousness of this episode, or at least this non-killing philosophy?

In addition to the guy's interpretation of "all life is precious" being a pretty narrow and arbitrary version of "life," what about walkers? How are evil people's lives "precious" and walkers' lives not? There's the problem of moral responsibility that evil people fail, e.g. the Wolves, that most walkers do not.

Also, if as the guy said you must respect your own life as precious, what happens when one of the Wolves attacks you and tries to kill you? Are you to "redirect" the person for eternity since you can't let yourself or him be killed due to your lives being precious?

Stupid...

EDIT: Like, at least Hershel's family at the barn didn't kill walkers. They were stupid for not doing so, but at least they were consistent and true to their philosophy/religion.

« Reply #917 on: November 01, 2015, 10:39:18 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
So, does anyone else see the ridiculousness of this episode, or at least this non-killing philosophy?

In addition to the guy's interpretation of "all life is precious" being a pretty narrow and arbitrary version of "life," what about walkers? How are evil people's lives "precious" and walkers' lives not? There's the problem of moral responsibility that evil people fail, e.g. the Wolves, that most walkers do not.

Also, if as the guy said you must respect your own life as precious, what happens when one of the Wolves attacks you and tries to kill you? Are you to "redirect" the person for eternity since you can't let yourself or him be killed due to your lives being precious?

Stupid...

EDIT: Like, at least Hershel's family at the barn didn't kill walkers. They were stupid for not doing so, but at least they were consistent and true to their philosophy/religion.

We have to see where the show goes with it, but they've just spent five years and especially all of this season creating a world where this Eastman dude is a gigantic fool.  For pete's sake, Morgan letting the Wolves live was at least partly responsible for the attack first on Alexandria and then nearly killing Rick in the trailer.  Eastman is just like the Alexandrians, someone who has been sheltered from the reality around him.

Mike

« Reply #918 on: November 04, 2015, 09:06:59 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Just saw the new episode.  Do you guys think the goat is really dead or...??  There could've been another goat that fell on top of it and maybe Tabitha is ok.  I sure hope so anyway!  Have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:14:18 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #919 on: November 04, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Just saw the new episode.  Do you guys think the goat is really dead or...??  There could've been another goat that fell on top of it and maybe Tabitha is ok.  I sure hope so anyway!  Have to wait and see.
Haha, tp!
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #920 on: November 04, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Stupid...

Walkers are the dead just re-animated, sure you can say that's living if you want but then people would starve to death because even veggies are living things. I don't see the problem there. If the walkers were just sick people I would think he would redirect.

Now the Wolves dude situation is going to end with Wolf being killed/give up on the non killing or you are killed eventually, something will have to give because crazy can't be fought forever.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #921 on: November 04, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I think Eastman was a pretty good character. He wasn't like the people in Alexandria. He would go out and could fend for himself. All life is precious but the flip side seems to be you can't be too attached to your own life. Eastmen seemed at peace with death as he was going to turn himself in for killing the guy who killed his wife and kid- so he could have been killed for that or at least would have lost the quality to his life. He was ok taking in a guy who shot at him. It's nice that TWD shows all all sides of humanity, how different people react.

One thing I wondered about was how he had power. I guess he could have a generator as he built the house himself, but how much gas would you need to keep the lights on for a year? I've never had a generator. 

« Reply #922 on: November 04, 2015, 10:31:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think Eastman was a pretty good character. He wasn't like the people in Alexandria. He would go out and could fend for himself. All life is precious but the flip side seems to be you can't be too attached to your own life. Eastmen seemed at peace with death as he was going to turn himself in for killing the guy who killed his wife and kid- so he could have been killed for that or at least would have lost the quality to his life. He was ok taking in a guy who shot at him. It's nice that TWD shows all all sides of humanity, how different people react.

One thing I wondered about was how he had power. I guess he could have a generator as he built the house himself, but how much gas would you need to keep the lights on for a year? I've never had a generator.

Didn't they show solar panels on his roof when Morgan first came to the house?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #923 on: November 04, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I started reading TWD comics. They are pretty good. A lot of things are different but it has a lot of similarities. Anyways, I'm up to the point where they go to alexandria now and Im wondering if I should keep going with the comics (go farther than the show). To the people who have done this in the past do you regret it? Should I wait and see things first on the show? Any opinions?

« Reply #924 on: November 04, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i've done it and dont regret it. the comics are awesome and i love the show just the same. It's like having kids. I love them all . haha.

really though, the only frustration I have is once you're caught up on the comics they come out like one every couple weeks. they take 5 mniutes to read so all of a sudden the story just drips in at a snails pace. thats tough to get used to.

i dont think you'll spoil the show for yourself by reading the comics, they've been different enough that its still interesting to see the show.
 also - you're on the verge of probably the best part of the whole comic - so yeah if you like it so far i'd say keep going bc the best is just ahead. :)

« Reply #925 on: November 04, 2015, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

I am dying.....TP!!!!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #926 on: November 04, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I am dying.....TP!!!!
are you sure?  someone might just be on top on you that you can't see and you just THINK you're dying ;)

« Reply #927 on: November 04, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think Eastman was a pretty good character.

Here's the thing.  Eastman and his philosophy were very clearly the product of...

1.  Being alone in an area relatively free of the dead.  He's clearly never had to deal with more than two or three walkers at a time, nor had to concern himself with other human beings (until Morgan came along, that is).

2.  Having a roof over his head and plenty of food, water and other amenities.

What would Eastman have done if 10 people had showed up on his doorstep and he couldn't feed and house them all?  What would he do if he encountered a herd?  What if The Governor wanted his cabin?

I mean, the story of what happened to his wife and child, and then what he did to their killer, is messed up for our world.  In TWD world?  Where Andrea had to kill her sister, Carl had to kill his mom, Merle cut off his own hand and there was an entire community that was set up to lure in other people AND EAT THEM?

The whole episode, while well done, felt weirdly disconnected from everything else we've been watching.

Mike

« Reply #928 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Moral of that story .....

Do not head for anywhere there was a huge populations of people ....cause now dey walkers  ..LOL

I heads full speed fo d coast ......load of machine guns , commendeer a boat and take over a small island in the Caribbean or Bahammas .....so those dumb Walkers would get eaten by sharks when dey try's and follow folks .

« Reply #929 on: November 04, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Moral of that story .....

Do not head for anywhere there was a huge populations of people ....cause now dey walkers  ..LOL

I heads full speed fo d coast ......load of machine guns , commendeer a boat and take over a small island in the Caribbean or Bahammas .....so those dumb Walkers would get eaten by sharks when dey try's and follow folks .
Yeah, sounds good until... SHARKNADO!!!