Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 359470 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2011, 10:57:02 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Didnt know we had a zombie following on celticsblog.

Dead is literally my favorite part of the week.  I never knew an hour could go by so fast...

My one issue with last week's episode was - why did Shane pop Otis in the leg? Why didn't he just do him the favor of putting it straight in his temple?  The "geeks" would of still stopped to fill their bellies.

The only theory i have is that Shane thought Otis' screams of horror would make sure to attract ALL the zombies to him? Either way, Shane is coooooooooold.  And i love it.
Because zombies only feast on the living, which is why there are dead human carcasses through out the highway. In a sense they are predators, not scavengers. Wow, I feel really dorky now.

Yeah but they ate the legs off that guy who hung himself.  If Otis had only been dead for a few seconds I don't think they'd've passed him by.  Practically it might've been to draw more zombies in, but I think the real reason was it was just more dramatic to show it that way.

I was just stoked because I called Shane kneecapping Otis as soon as he started doing the Travis Bickle thing 2 minutes into the episode.

« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2011, 01:34:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
In the episode the first season they tracked humans by smell I recall.   They were able to move amoungst them by covering themselves with entrails.  I would think they track by movement and sound as well.  Gunfire seems to draw them and they key on movement.  Otis would not smell ripe just shot for a while.  This smell is a by product of decomposition.  It starts as soon as something dies but Otis would  still smell fresh if just shot.

http://www.separationsnow.com/coi/cda/detail.cda?id=691&type=Feature&chId=3&page=1

The legs on the guy who hung himself could have been a botched hanging.   Hanging isn't always instant.   It can take sometimes up 20 minutes or more with no drop.   I would guess that zombie hung did not have a drop and died from asphixiation or occlusion of the blood vessels.  The person is passed out from lack of oxygen but their heart can still beat hence it was tradition in England to hang someone for an hour to make sure.  Perhaps they saw the twitching legs and decided to feast.  Not like it matters it's a show and there are no biology of a zombie classes, lol.

« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2011, 01:46:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Remember that time when one dog in ny got rabies, then 3 weeks later ALL the dogs from ny to la had rabies? Yeah...me either.

Until that gets explained in the first 20 mins of a zombie epic, I'm done with the genre.

If you have Netflix, check out jeremiah. Awesome apocalypse scenario. Well done. Better than this **** gore.

Hmm, isnīt that a bit like saying "Until someone explains to me how all the people on earth started living in peace, Iīm done with Star Trek"? Were you happy with the "scientific" explanation for the force in Star Wars Episode I? Personally, I liked it better when it was still a mystery.

Judging by the comics, thereīs a reason why they didnīt explain the exact circumstances for the outbreak, yet. I think thatīs just the part of the zombie genre where the audience has to suspend their disbelief.

If I had to make an attempt to explain the major differences between a rabies and a zombie outbreak, Iīd say that a) there are more humans than dogs, b) rabies doesnīt necessarily drive every dog to bite other dogs, and c) humans donīt care for dogs as much as they do for other humans.

If youīd see a rabid dog on the street, the most likely reaction would be to call the cops, who will easily take care of the dog. If you see an old woman wandering aimlessly through the streets, you probably walk up to her to see if sheīs ok, at which point itīs already too late.

Also, the fact that a rabid dog is no threat if you shoot him in the leg, while a zombie needs a shot in the head, is a pretty significant difference. Iīd suggest to read "World War Z" by Max Brooks, son of Mel Brooks, where he tries to come up with relatively logical explanations for exactly these kind of questions.

I've read lots and lots and lots of zombie stuff (hence maybe why I'm so incredibly skeptical now). A zombie apocolypse simply and utterly could not ever occur, if it comes from the:

1: Small group has it. Bites more people who also get it.
2: ?
3: Zombie survival!!

There is a little bit of a jump I'm willing to make. For instance, in 28 days later, its pretty infeasible that any affliction that only is passed through fluid exchange would ever sweep across a country like that..but at least is makes a little more sense.

But mortified flesh? The thing about zombie fiction as a genre is that it is constantly striving for realism, after a completely and utterly unrealistic start. Its always trying to be the most realistic impossible premise ever.

TrueBlood vampires make more sense. Magic makes more sense. But, zombie-ism, especially when they don't try to tie in any supernatural stuff (which is very common, its almost always a 'virus' or something..the more feasible scenario is 'there isn't enough room in hell'), just doesn't jive. We're too smart, too resourceful, and too well-armed.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Remember that time when one dog in ny got rabies, then 3 weeks later ALL the dogs from ny to la had rabies? Yeah...me either.

Until that gets explained in the first 20 mins of a zombie epic, I'm done with the genre.

If you have Netflix, check out jeremiah. Awesome apocalypse scenario. Well done. Better than this **** gore.

Hmm, isnīt that a bit like saying "Until someone explains to me how all the people on earth started living in peace, Iīm done with Star Trek"? Were you happy with the "scientific" explanation for the force in Star Wars Episode I? Personally, I liked it better when it was still a mystery.

Judging by the comics, thereīs a reason why they didnīt explain the exact circumstances for the outbreak, yet. I think thatīs just the part of the zombie genre where the audience has to suspend their disbelief.

If I had to make an attempt to explain the major differences between a rabies and a zombie outbreak, Iīd say that a) there are more humans than dogs, b) rabies doesnīt necessarily drive every dog to bite other dogs, and c) humans donīt care for dogs as much as they do for other humans.

If youīd see a rabid dog on the street, the most likely reaction would be to call the cops, who will easily take care of the dog. If you see an old woman wandering aimlessly through the streets, you probably walk up to her to see if sheīs ok, at which point itīs already too late.

Also, the fact that a rabid dog is no threat if you shoot him in the leg, while a zombie needs a shot in the head, is a pretty significant difference. Iīd suggest to read "World War Z" by Max Brooks, son of Mel Brooks, where he tries to come up with relatively logical explanations for exactly these kind of questions.

I've read lots and lots and lots of zombie stuff (hence maybe why I'm so incredibly skeptical now). A zombie apocolypse simply and utterly could not ever occur, if it comes from the:

There is a little bit of a jump I'm willing to make. For instance, in 28 days later, its pretty infeasible that any affliction that only is passed through fluid exchange would ever sweep across a country like that..but at least is makes a little more sense.

But mortified flesh? The thing about zombie fiction as a genre is that it is constantly striving for realism, after a completely and utterly unrealistic start. Its always trying to be the most realistic impossible premise ever.

TrueBlood vampires make more sense. Magic makes more sense. But, zombie-ism, especially when they don't try to tie in any supernatural stuff (which is very common, its almost always a 'virus' or something..the more feasible scenario is 'there isn't enough room in hell'), just doesn't jive. We're too smart, too resourceful, and too well-armed.

I agree with that last part, IP, did you ever read World War Z? (i'm assuming you did).

In that book it seemed like the problem exploded because militaries worldwide just underestimated the voume of the infected and emphasized "shock and awe" weaponry over plain old bullet-to-the-scull tactics.  I have a hard time accepting that the military leaders of today would struggle to identify the best way to kill a target whose only way of dying is via headshot.

But hey, who is going to read a book about how a zombie apocolypse almost started but was stifled immediately by efficient military units.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I agree with that last part, IP, did you ever read World War Z? (i'm assuming you did).

In that book it seemed like the problem exploded because militaries worldwide just underestimated the voume of the infected and emphasized "shock and awe" weaponry over plain old bullet-to-the-scull tactics.  I have a hard time accepting that the military leaders of today would struggle to identify the best way to kill a target whose only way of dying is via headshot.

But hey, who is going to read a book about how a zombie apocolypse almost started but was stifled immediately by efficient military units.

An underrated point in WWZ is also that the epidemic started in China, but the Chinese continued to sell black-market organs from the zombies they put down, which either killed and zombified recipients right away (if a vital organ) or over a few days or weeks (if less vital).  Helped explain the global spread of the disease before anyone realized what was happening.

In the Walking Dead comics there's a specific reason why it went global very quickly (SPOILERSPOILER Highlight with mouse to read: Everyone is infected, death from any cause leads to reanimation, a bite just speeds up death /SPOILERSPOILER)

But from some of the scenes in the show it looks like they aren't going that route. 

« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
In the Walking Dead comics there's a specific reason why it went global very quickly (SPOILERSPOILER Highlight with mouse to read: Everyone is infected, death from any cause leads to reanimation, a bite just speeds up death /SPOILERSPOILER)

Makes a lot of sense. I wish they played that up.
(more spoiler stuff)
Are we talking graves all rising as well, or just people who die now? (morespoilerstuff)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

(more spoiler stuff)
Are we talking graves all rising as well, or just people who die now? (morespoilerstuff)

They may be saving it for a big reveal, but some of the scenes on the show seem to contradict that premise.  The CDC guy did say something about the virus "abruptly going global" about 2 months before the series starts, but no more details than that.

Per your spoiler text, I haven't read the comics, I only know about it second-hand, but I believe it's your latter scenario.

« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
All of it is Fantasy though folks.  I've slept very close under the stars to Transylvania and spent a lot of nights outdoors in Bavaria.  There are no vampires or zombies just evil people.

« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

(more spoiler stuff)

is that what that dude that blew him self up last season told that sheriff dude?

« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2011, 03:44:55 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Well, I said "relatively" logical explanations.

As I said, thatīs the part where we have to suspend our disbelief. Star Trek is also always trying to be as realistic as possible with all their "scientific" explanations for the impossible, doesnīt mean itīs not good TV.

I mean, weīre talking about the Horror genre, itīs bound to be unrealistic. You could say the same about Edgar Allan Poe, HP Lovecraft, Bela Lugosi movies etc. Complaining about it seems much nerdier to me than to just accept the premise. I think people always try to nitpick horror movies especially because thinking rationally is what keeps them from freaking out (either that, or itīs simply overexposure).

The thing is, TWD isnīt about the zombies, itīs about the survivors. Kirkman, the author, said on several occasions in the comic that he has no plans to tell the story of the origin of the disease, because it does nothing for the story he wants to tell. Thatīs good enough for me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:01:33 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I thought the Patriots' review would be on this thread today. :P
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537

On last weeks Talking Dead after show, the author of the Walking Dead books stated that in the Walking Dead world zombie genre does not exist. There are no Romero movies, zombie apocalypse survival books, nor anything else zombie. They don't even know the work zombie.

The people of the Walking Dead world are learning-on-the-fly. If you can keep this in mine, it makes the show more "realistic".

We are so saturated with zombie/infected pop-culture that this can be a bit of a leap-of-mind.

On a side note, if u want a glimpse into what could be a more "realistic" and zombie-less apocalypse, read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Skip the movie.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just started watching Season 1 on Netflix.  Pretty well done.

What was season are they on now?
Yup

« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
2nd season...