Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 358137 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2011, 04:05:12 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I thought this was a thread about Jermaine O'Neal

« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I had my hopes set high for TWD last year but the show struggled mightily last season to the point that I have no expectations (or real interest) in watching it this season.  Perhaps that's a good thing because my bar is set pretty low for this series.

« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thought this was a thread about Jermaine O'Neal

That joke never gets old.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I had my hopes set high for TWD last year but the show struggled mightily last season to the point that I have no expectations (or real interest) in watching it this season.  Perhaps that's a good thing because my bar is set pretty low for this series.

You´re in the film-making business, right?
Seeing it from that perspective, I can understand your disappointment, I guess.

I thought the writing in particular was horrible, at times. Some ridiculously big plotholes didn´t help, either. I also think that Robert Kirkman should stay away from screen-writing as far as possible. Some of the actors are not exactly top-notch, either, in my opinion.

All that said, I think the series was still highly entertaining, and I´ll definitely watch the second season. It´s just good TV, nothing more, nothing less. The basic material is excellent, and if they simply follow the plot of the comics (which I only read up to around issue #50 after watching the first season), we should be in for several entertaining hours of TV.

Best proof for me that the series works was that my girlfriend, who is one of those "Grey´s Anatomy" fangirls, and hates "all this fantasy and science-fiction stuff" (her words), was hooked after reluctantly watching the first episode with me and couldn´t stop talking about it. I can´t wait to show her "A Game of Thrones", and shatter her worldview once again. :P
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Best proof for me that the series works was that my girlfriend, who is one of those "Grey´s Anatomy" fangirls, and hates "all this fantasy and science-fiction stuff" (her words), was hooked after reluctantly watching the first episode with me and couldn´t stop talking about it.

Ha.  Same thing with my wife.  The whole time she was saying "I can't believe I'm watching this", but she was hooked.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
watched all day sunday...diggin the show..

last episode what did that dude that blew him self up with the sista say to the leader..he whispered in his ear..

and mention in he season primo ep..?

« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2011, 09:50:37 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The premiere episode of Season Two is being shown tonight at 10PM, for any who may have missed it on Sunday.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
last episode what did that dude that blew him self up with the sista say to the leader..he whispered in his ear..

I don't think they've addressed this yet, unless I missed it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Tonight's replay of Season Two Premiere will be followed by a discussion of the show by the director and actors ... should be good.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I don't think they've addressed this yet, unless I missed it.

Just watching now, and the Sheriff almost says what it is in the intro, but then backs off ... not sure if they'll discuss it in the follow-up show. Looks as though the director wants to keep it a secret for now.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Tonight's replay of Season Two Premiere will be followed by a discussion of the show by the director and actors ... should be good.

Sweet.  You can also watch a panel discussion (not sure if it's the same one) here:  http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51689

Just watch out; there are some minor spoilers, not only about Season 2, but about the comic book series as well.

« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2011, 11:04:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's a good show.  Man are zombies popular these days or what?  My son loves this show and anything zombie.

« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The Foley (natural sound effects) Artists must be having a blast with this show ... I'll bet they go through a lot of steak and watermelons. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2011, 03:06:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Remember that time when one dog in ny got rabies, then 3 weeks later ALL the dogs from ny to la had rabies? Yeah...me either.

Until that gets explained in the first 20 mins of a zombie epic, I'm done with the genre.

If you have Netflix, check out jeremiah. Awesome apocalypse scenario. Well done. Better than this **** gore.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2011, 08:15:37 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Remember that time when one dog in ny got rabies, then 3 weeks later ALL the dogs from ny to la had rabies? Yeah...me either.

Until that gets explained in the first 20 mins of a zombie epic, I'm done with the genre.

If you have Netflix, check out jeremiah. Awesome apocalypse scenario. Well done. Better than this **** gore.

Hmm, isn´t that a bit like saying "Until someone explains to me how all the people on earth started living in peace, I´m done with Star Trek"? Were you happy with the "scientific" explanation for the force in Star Wars Episode I? Personally, I liked it better when it was still a mystery.

Judging by the comics, there´s a reason why they didn´t explain the exact circumstances for the outbreak, yet. I think that´s just the part of the zombie genre where the audience has to suspend their disbelief.

If I had to make an attempt to explain the major differences between a rabies and a zombie outbreak, I´d say that a) there are more humans than dogs, b) rabies doesn´t necessarily drive every dog to bite other dogs, and c) humans don´t care for dogs as much as they do for other humans.

If you´d see a rabid dog on the street, the most likely reaction would be to call the cops, who will easily take care of the dog. If you see an old woman wandering aimlessly through the streets, you probably walk up to her to see if she´s ok, at which point it´s already too late.

Also, the fact that a rabid dog is no threat if you shoot him in the leg, while a zombie needs a shot in the head, is a pretty significant difference. I´d suggest to read "World War Z" by Max Brooks, son of Mel Brooks, where he tries to come up with relatively logical explanations for exactly these kind of questions.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.