Author Topic: Silver proposes possible Playoff seeding change  (Read 9384 times)

Silver proposes possible Playoff seeding change
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22483506/adam-silver-discusses-potential-playoff-changes-ideas

Silver mentioned still having the best eight teams from each conference making the playoffs, but then seeding those teams 1-16. In that case, if the top two teams were from the same conference it would set up a possible Finals meeting.

"You also would like to have a format where your two best teams are ultimately going to meet in The Finals," Silver said. "You could have a situation where the top two teams in the league are meeting in the conference finals or somewhere else. So we're going to continue to look at that. It's still my hope that we're going to figure out ways."

As has been the case with other 1-16 seeding proposals, there is an issue of travel. With the current playoff format of 2-2-1-1-1 in all rounds, a long first- or second-round long series between teams on opposite coasts would create an unfavorable situation. Also it would require a more balanced schedule so certain teams didn't have an advantage in playoff qualification during the regular season.

"Maybe ultimately you have to add even more days to the season to spread it out a little bit more to deal with the travel," Silver said. "Maybe air travel will get better. All things we'll keep looking at."

Re: Silver proposes possible Playoff seeding change
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Bad news for LeBron...

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:00:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22483506/adam-silver-discusses-potential-playoff-changes-ideas

Silver mentioned still having the best eight teams from each conference making the playoffs, but then seeding those teams 1-16. In that case, if the top two teams were from the same conference it would set up a possible Finals meeting.

"You also would like to have a format where your two best teams are ultimately going to meet in The Finals," Silver said. "You could have a situation where the top two teams in the league are meeting in the conference finals or somewhere else. So we're going to continue to look at that. It's still my hope that we're going to figure out ways."

As has been the case with other 1-16 seeding proposals, there is an issue of travel. With the current playoff format of 2-2-1-1-1 in all rounds, a long first- or second-round long series between teams on opposite coasts would create an unfavorable situation. Also it would require a more balanced schedule so certain teams didn't have an advantage in playoff qualification during the regular season.

"Maybe ultimately you have to add even more days to the season to spread it out a little bit more to deal with the travel," Silver said. "Maybe air travel will get better. All things we'll keep looking at."

What about the team who nets the best record gets to decide which format they would like to play?

And if 1-16 seeding is chosen...1st two rounds format is 3-3-1 due to travel. This would make it even critical for teams to net one of the top 8 records

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:00:19 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
File that under stupid ideas.

Bad enough the All Star game is no longer the East vs West, now he wants to do the same to the playoffs?

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 02:11:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

What about the team who nets the best record gets to decide which format they would like to play?

And if 1-16 seeding is chosen...1st two rounds format is 3-3-1 due to travel. This would make it even critical for teams to net one of the top 8 records
That's even worse than Silver's proposal.  Fans of the lesser teams who make the playoffs might only get to go to one playoff game.  Owners of those teams would lose significant revenue. 

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 03:39:19 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'd be p---ed if that happens. Imagine the Celtics facing the Lakers in the first round. I'd be disgusted.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 04:07:01 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Hate the idea. No need to reinvent the wheel. Conference playoffs work for every other professional league, no need to change that here. Yes sometimes the best two teams meet in the conference finals, but you want to change the entire format over that?

How sad would it be seeing a Lakers vs Celtics first round matchup?

Definitely one of the stupidest ideas I’ve ever heard.

The only changes that I think needs to be made is the 2-2-1-1-1 vs 2-3-2 format. Why does the Finals change the format? Make it the same across the entire playoffs. I personally like the 2-2-1-1-1 because I don’t believe at any point in a series should the team with HCA play more road games. There are no b2b’s in the Finals, leaving adequate time for travel. The other change is reseeding. If a 6 upsets a 3, the top seed should reap the benefits. This isn’t March Madness. Rank ‘em for the first round. Rank ‘em for the second.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 04:20:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The game does not have a big playoff problem, Silver does not need to fix this one...

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
File that under stupid ideas.

Bad enough the All Star game is no longer the East vs West, now he wants to do the same to the playoffs?

I agree it is a dumb idea.  Why even have regional divisions or conferences then? 

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 08:28:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hate the idea. No need to reinvent the wheel. Conference playoffs work for every other professional league, no need to change that here. Yes sometimes the best two teams meet in the conference finals, but you want to change the entire format over that?

The only changes that I think needs to be made is the 2-2-1-1-1 vs 2-3-2 format. Why does the Finals change the format? Make it the same across the entire playoffs. I personally like the 2-2-1-1-1 because I don’t believe at any point in a series should the team with HCA play more road games. There are no b2b’s in the Finals, leaving adequate time for travel. The other change is reseeding. If a 6 upsets a 3, the top seed should reap the benefits. This isn’t March Madness. Rank ‘em for the first round. Rank ‘em for the second.

I agree with everything you said here - TP.

Very short-sighted move imo. So I guess Silver believes the West will be dominant forever(?) Travel is a major factor - this move shouldn't even be an option until teleportation is widely used  ;)

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Seems like a short sighted overreaction to the dominance of GS and HOU.

This can't be the first time in NBA history where the 2 best teams in the league were in the same conference, and the Finals were a complete drag because of it.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 09:04:24 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

They already changed the Finals format to 2-2-1-1-1 a few years. Buehler? Buehler?

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I'd be p---ed if that happens. Imagine the Celtics facing the Lakers in the first round. I'd be disgusted.

Lakers and Celtics should never, ever meet in any playoff series except the Finals...
and yes this format stupidly will allow this.

also the nostalgia and history and beef of previous series would be gone if this happens...plus ofcourse the travel.

Simply too many variables for this to happen...and hence it shouldn't.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not all change is a good thing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Yeah, dumb idea. If they're thinking about doing that then they'll need to play more than just a home and home series with the other conferences to make the standings more accurate.