Author Topic: I feel for Memphis fans and players  (Read 5944 times)

I feel for Memphis fans and players
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I feel sorry for the Grizzlies fans and players. They are now going to trade Rudy Gay and probably wont get much in return. They are depleting their roster b/c of money. In November it look like they was one of the top 5 teams. Now if they trade Gay and they already traded away part of their bench to Cleveland, they wont make it pass the 1st round. And wouldnt be surprise to see them trade Zach
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: I feel for Memphis fans and players
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, it sucks when a team self-limits its potential due to financial reasons.  I'm sure all the Bruins fans (at least those prior to the last couple of lockouts) can relate to what the Grizzlies fans are experiencing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Heck if Memphis are cleaning payroll, i would check to see what they want for Gasol or Zach..

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
But it is the cost in keeping a team in a small market.

It can be this or watch the team leave for another city.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Yep, u see it in all sports..small market teams can never compete with big market teams. Only way they can if they get lucky in the draft or in baseball they have a great minor league system

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Yep, u see it in all sports..small market teams can never compete with big market teams. Only way they can if they get lucky in the draft or in baseball they have a great minor league system

Or the NFL where there is great revenue sharing and a hard cap that all team cans afford.

On a side note, this team has always performed better when either Gay or Randolph were out.  They just don't fit well together.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I want to see what Memphis adds in a deal for Gay before I judge. If they can successfully convert Calderon into a solid shooting and / or defending wing -- to go with whatever else they get from Toronto, they may not really be taking a significant step back.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Yeah, it sucks when a team self-limits its potential due to financial reasons.  I'm sure all the Bruins fans (at least those prior to the last couple of lockouts) can relate to what the Grizzlies fans are experiencing.

Could you imagine how good the Suns would be, now, if they did not sell all their 1st round draft picks for cash, back in the day.

Rondo, Deng...
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

Could you imagine how good the Suns would be, now, if they did not sell all their 1st round draft picks for cash, back in the day.

Rondo, Deng...

i think its ok they sold it, they got nash b4, rondo will not develop as bench player though with nash

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Considering they have new ownership and a new stats guy heading the player decision-making, I'm not sure money is the main thing driving this decision.

Rather, I think the new guys come in and they say, so we're paying a lot of money for a team that's good, but how good can they really be?

I think somebody like John Hollinger says, well, they're basically at their ceiling right now.  If you want me to really do my thing, then we have to tear this down a bit and start fresh, perhaps holding onto Conley and Gasol because they're still relatively young and not too overpaid.

I imagine Hollinger wants to build a team based on efficiency, both in terms of production and in terms of how much a player is paid.  He also probably wants to get some pieces in place that are more bankable long term, whereas he probably looks at Randolph and sees a guy who will probably decline quickly, and views Gay as a cap albatross.

It does suck for Memphis fans in the short term, but I think there's good reason to believe the new management has plans for the team that will make the fans happy.  I'd compare it a little bit to how Danny Ainge came here and took apart a team that was pretty good but really very limited in how far it could go.  Took a bunch of steps backward, but eventually the team took a major leap forward.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Heck if Memphis are cleaning payroll, i would check to see what they want for Gasol or Zach..

If they're trading Gasol and Zach, I imagine they'd be looking to trade them to a team that can send only cheap contracts back.

For example, trading Gasol and picks to the new Seattle SuperSonics for Demarcus Cousins. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah its awful to see. I am a fan of the Grizzlies and the put together a good squad. But now they have no bench and might benefit by trading one of their stars for more pieces. Bad to see the lineup come apart but if they can get three role players for the price of one star it might end up helping them? In the long run anyway.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Considering they have new ownership and a new stats guy heading the player decision-making, I'm not sure money is the main thing driving this decision.

Rather, I think the new guys come in and they say, so we're paying a lot of money for a team that's good, but how good can they really be?

Their new owner lost a ton of money between the time he agreed to buy the team and now.  He can't afford the luxury tax.

As for Hollinger, I think he is given much more credit than he deserves as a decision maker.  That team is run by Chris Wallace.  Hollinger has a strong say in it, but I don't think he has as much power as others think. 

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Their new owner lost a ton of money between the time he agreed to buy the team and now.  He can't afford the luxury tax.

As for Hollinger, I think he is given much more credit than he deserves as a decision maker.  That team is run by Chris Wallace.  Hollinger has a strong say in it, but I don't think he has as much power as others think.

Maybe so, and I'm not saying money doesn't play a role.  I just don't think it's at all a purely money driven thing.  It's not like, "Man, I wish we could keep this together but we can't pay the luxury tax."

Even if Hollinger isn't the main man calling the shots, I'm sure they brought him in for a reason -- to shake up the decisionmaking a little bit.  And I don't doubt that the new ownership wants to compete, but do so without fielding a team that's really expensive and has probably already reached its ceiling as a borderline contender.

I think of it sort of like the Bobcats a few years ago.  They had a solid playoff team with Felton, Jackson, Wallace, Chandler etc.  Then they brought in a new GM who said, look, if you want to get better than this, we need to tear it down first.  Obviously the Grizz are much better now than that Bobcats team was, but I think it's similar. 
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Who knows how much sway Hollinger actually has, but I guarantee he's telling everyone who'll listen that paying ~$54 million for the next 3 years to a guy with a below-average PER is not a good strategy. 

And honestly, the Grizzlies had the most success in franchise history when Gay was out with an injury, so I don't feel too bad for them.  Losing all those role players might be a bigger blow than trading Gay.