Author Topic: With a weaker Eastern Conference, could the Celtics win 60+ games this season??  (Read 12915 times)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
end season is long ways off.    Injuries never know .

I sticking with 48-52

A 100 percent healthy fit and excited team might do better .  But im not cou ting on this.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Can we win 60?  Hell, we're GOING to win 60.
To me, this looks like a team  that will win 60 games without overachieving massively.
Pretty easy schedule thus far and pretty strong health from the now top 5 (i.e. Kyrie, Al, Jaylen, Jayson, and Marcus).  60 is certainly obtainable, but I'd put the odds at more like 57 wins at this point in the season.
We've had the 14th strongest schedule so far, which is about smack in the middle. Where exactly do you expect us to be, on average, anyway?

Teams with notably weaker schedule than ours so far: Cleveland (28th), San Antonio (27th), Houston (22th). Yet, somehow I haven't seen anyone question their status because of soft schedule.
then you aren't paying attention
Is "paying attention" some sort of a new hip code speak for "agreeing with assertions that have no basis in objective reality"?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I sticking with 48-52

A 100 percent healthy fit and excited team might do better .  But im not cou ting on this.

So you think at best they will go 30-26 the rest of the way?

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
At our current rate of winning, yes 60 wins is easily within reach.  Before the season started I predicted 55 wins for us.  But this team simply refuses to lose on many nights.  Their closing rate feels a lot higher now that they have Kyrie.  And their comeback rate... well I've never seen a Celtic team in recent memory that came from behind 9-15 points like it was nothing and did it so frequently.

I sticking with 48-52

So you think at best they will go 30-26 the rest of the way?

Methinks people need to do some recalibration on their expectations.  To believe the Celtics would go 30-26 in their remaining 56 games is tantamount to saying they are going to implode and play merely .500 ball down the stretch.  And these Celtics look LEGIT.

Celtics right now 22 wins 4 losses.  Winning percentage 84.16%
56 games to go.

If they maintain an 80% win pace that is 45 additional wins.  They would be 67-15.
If they are merely very good at 75% pace the rest of the way.  64-18.
If they slip down to 70% the rest of the way. 61-11.

So yes, most reasonable scenarios would place the Celtics as a 60+ win team by the time the season is over.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:34:20 PM by vjcsmoke »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
To me, this looks like a team  that will win 60 games without overachieving massively.
Pretty easy schedule thus far and pretty strong health from the now top 5 (i.e. Kyrie, Al, Jaylen, Jayson, and Marcus).  60 is certainly obtainable, but I'd put the odds at more like 57 wins at this point in the season.

Yeah, once you manipulate the data so we don’t factor in being the only team to lose an all star for the year, ignore that Kyrie has been wearing a protective mask for almost a month, and ignore the health issues of our 6th-7th best player Marcus Morris... then yeah, we sure have been lucky with health...
Haywards injury is irrelevant. He's not coming back in any meaningful capacity.

Our health has been about average. Al, Irving and Smart have each missed 2 games. Morris has missed a bunch and now Browns missed a few.

Schedule hasn't been that easy. We are a little below average sos. Cleveland has the 2nd easiest in the league thus far for whatever that's worth.

I'm not saying health or Hayward's injury is relevant, I'm saying if we're discussing the team's health- whether GH counts or not- the word to describe it would not be 'strong'. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
We've had the 14th strongest schedule so far, which is about smack in the middle. Where exactly do you expect us to be, on average, anyway?

Teams with notably weaker schedule than ours so far: Cleveland (28th), San Antonio (27th), Houston (22th). Yet, somehow I haven't seen anyone question their status because of soft schedule.
Is "paying attention" some sort of a new hip code speak for "agreeing with assertions that have no basis in objective reality"?
no it means there has been plenty of talk of the weaker schedules from other teams, especially the Cavs during their win streak. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Yeah, once you manipulate the data so we don’t factor in being the only team to lose an all star for the year, ignore that Kyrie has been wearing a protective mask for almost a month, and ignore the health issues of our 6th-7th best player Marcus Morris... then yeah, we sure have been lucky with health...

Our health has been about average. Al, Irving and Smart have each missed 2 games. Morris has missed a bunch and now Browns missed a few.

Schedule hasn't been that easy. We are a little below average sos. Cleveland has the 2nd easiest in the league thus far for whatever that's worth.

I'm not saying health or Hayward's injury is relevant, I'm saying if we're discussing the team's health- whether GH counts or not- the word to describe it would not be 'strong'.
that is why you know you actually have to look at a whole thought and not just pick a word out of the middle of it.  pretty strong health from the now top 5 .  Looks a little different when you change which part of the text you bold.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Both Clevand and Houston's schedules have been discussed quite frequently as far as I can tell.

That said, I no longer think its appropriate to cite SOS as a reason for our struggles. 14th in the league with matchups against Milwaukee (3 times), Cleveland, Toronto, GSW, the Pistons, and the Spurs are all pretty good teams.

Also, being in the East and not playing ourselves, we should grade out to having one of the easiest schedules in the NBA.

We wont be in the bottom 5 because both Toronto and Philly are pretty good and in our division, but we should be pretty comfortably in the bottom half of the league when all is said and done.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

no it means there has been plenty of talk of the weaker schedules from other teams, especially the Cavs during their win streak.

i feel like i was the only person that pointed that out..

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

that is why you know you actually have to look at a whole thought and not just pick a word out of the middle of it.  pretty strong health from the now top 5 .  Looks a little different when you change which part of the text you bold.

Oh I read it, I’m just pointing out that instead of looking at the team’s health which isn’t that kind to the Celtics, you curated the demographics so you could say health was ‘strong’, seemingly to suggest that we’ve been fortunate since your projection of wins for the year was bearish. If so, that’s fantastic data manipulation by you, and if not, I’d like to know why you are only focusing on the health of the “now top 5” as if that’s somehow the best thing to look at.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
That said, I no longer think its appropriate to cite SOS as a reason for our struggles. 14th in the league with matchups against Milwaukee (3 times), Cleveland, Toronto, GSW, the Pistons, and the Spurs are all pretty good teams.
I wonder how we're going to look when we don't struggle  :P 26-0, perhaps?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
whoops. Meant to write success.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
whoops. Meant to write success.
I thought so, but when's the last time you saw me passing on an opportunity to take a pot shot? :P

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

i feel like i was the only person that pointed that out..
3 people mentioned it in the "will the Cavs beat our win streak" thread which is the most Cavs focused thread we have. Ive mentioned it and youve mentioned it.

That makes 5 times at least.

We dont talk about Houston much on this blog, but its been a topic in the rest of the NBA world. SAS I havent heard about much. Was actually surprised to see they had played such a crappy schedule.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would be disappointed, based on current expectations, if we don't win at least 60 games this season.  The league has a lot of mediocre teams, and we have Kyrie, who closes the deal in the 4th quarter more often than not.