Author Topic: Ric Bucher: No chance KG plays the remaining two years of his contract  (Read 7852 times)

Re: Ric Bucher: No chance KG plays the remaining two years of his contract
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that he will keep playing.

I can't think of another player who just seems to love being out on the court more than KG.

This is assuming his body holds up.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I could see him calling it quits after this season.  Seems like he had to think long and hard about whether to come back this season, and that was after our unexpected run to the ECF.

Much depends on how the rest of this season plays out.  It can't much be about the money any more, and I'm not sure if he wants to put the enormous amount of work in to prepare his body for another season for a non-contender next year.

Re: KG retiring
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Roy,

If KG officially retires, does his money count against our cap?  Or do we get that money off our cap?

Thanks,

Smitty77

If he formally retires before next league year starts, his money comes off the cap.

If he retires after the new league year starts, it would depend upon what the payment schedule of his contract is.  Any payments we make to him would be carried on our cap.

This is why I don't understand Bucher's reasoning.

If other GMs are really convinced KG is going to retire after this season, or at the latest after next season, then doesn't that make him more attractive as a trade piece? 

He seems to be saying that other teams wouldn't want to take on KG's 3 year contract knowing he's only going to play out the rest of this season. 

But if KG is going to retire that basically makes him a 10 million dollar expiring contract.  Right?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One assumption here is that KG shares the opinions of anonymous NBA executives about his own ability to play and the team's ability to contend next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Roy,

If KG officially retires, does his money count against our cap?  Or do we get that money off our cap?

Thanks,

Smitty77

If he formally retires before next league year starts, his money comes off the cap.

If he retires after the new league year starts, it would depend upon what the payment schedule of his contract is.  Any payments we make to him would be carried on our cap.

If other GMs are really convinced KG is going to retire after this season, or at the latest after next season, then doesn't that make him more attractive as a trade piece? 

He seems to be saying that other teams wouldn't want to take on KG's 3 year contract knowing he's only going to play out the rest of this season. 

But if KG is going to retire that basically makes him a 10 million dollar expiring contract.  Right?

Maybe the assumption is that teams won't give up a major asset if it's just for a rental? 

My guess is the Celtics would want a legit asset, rather than just a late #1 or something.  Maybe that price tag is too high for a retiring player?

My guess is that KG wouldn't agree to a trade (he has a no-trade clause) if he only planned on playing there for 2 months.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Heavy minutes please!!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
KG seems to have way more giddy up in his legs these last few games.

Anyone else noticing the manner in which he is grabbing rebounds recently? I have.

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Roy,

Thanks,

Smitty77

Maybe the assumption is that teams won't give up a major asset if it's just for a rental? 

My guess is the Celtics would want a legit asset, rather than just a late #1 or something.  Maybe that price tag is too high for a retiring player?

My guess is that KG wouldn't agree to a trade (he has a no-trade clause) if he only planned on playing there for 2 months.

You're probably right on the last bit, although he might be on board with the idea if he were going to a team on the cusp of being truly elite (e.g. being traded to the Clippers or the Thunder).

A team like that might be willing to give up something significant if they felt they were getting that last piece to really put them over the top in a fight against the other top teams (e.g. Bledsoe for the Clippers, or the Raptors lottery pick with the Thunder).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Roy,

Thanks,

Smitty77

You're probably right on the last bit, although he might be on board with the idea if he were going to a team on the cusp of being truly elite (e.g. being traded to the Clippers or the Thunder).

A team like that might be willing to give up something significant if they felt they were getting that last piece to really put them over the top in a fight against the other top teams (e.g. Bledsoe for the Clippers, or the Raptors lottery pick with the Thunder).

Even then I don't see KG waiving the no trade.

He's too proud and I think he'd rather just ride it out here as long as we are in the playoffs

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
And we almost traded Rondo for Gasol.

More he said she said I think, IMO stuff.

Is it possible he retires? Sure. Is it possible he doesnt? Sure. He looks much older this year. But Kevin Willis played til he was 42. Kurt Thomas is still starting for the Knicks on occassion. If KG wants to plat he will have a limited role somewhere.
I agree. If KG wants to play there will be a place for him.

But KG doesn't give me the impression he's an Hakeem or Willis or Parish or Moses Malone type that hangs around years past his being a top 5-8 player at his position.

He disappears in the off season and loves his privacy. I say if he gets a feeling that this was the last chances at a ring, he might retire after this year, regardless of how well he can still play.

And, yes, from what I have seen of KG this year, his athleticism and speed and movement are quite different than years past. He was undeserving of an All-Star nod. He could possibly have to give up on the idea of being a starter as early as sometime next season.

Not sure his ego or competitive spirit will go for that.
I think he looks the same as he has the last 2 years.  It what ways are he different?  He'll always get a clean look with the turn-around.  He'll always be one of the best shooting big men of all time in the pick and pop.  At 40 he'll still be quicker than most centers due to their bulk.  He already hasn't been able to jump for years.

Defensively he'll always have it just because of how smart he is and how much space he takes up.  That wingspan is just tough to overcome if you know how to use it.  I mean just look at a 38 year old Rasheed.  He can't move at all and he's still been ridiculous defensively for the Knicks, and KG will never come close to being that out of shape.

Like Rasheed who has trouble getting on the court, if Kevin retires it will probably be due to constant injuries.  The knee is what had him contemplating it in the first place.  So long as he's on the court and hitting enough shots to still be able to talk trash he's happy.  He (like Dirk) isn't like most big men, he doesn't do it for money he just genuinely loves to play the game.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
doubt it, KG isn't retiring until his legs falls off

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Didnt he learn his lesson from Chris Mannix last year?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/71b89385-dd45-485d-9b1f-6d829255216c/?source=twitter

He also hints that this year might be it for KG. What's everyone else think? With Rondo gone for the year and maybe part of next and an almost impossible road to the ECFs in front of them, does KG hang them up after this year?

I don’t like this...KG or other Cs player cant be Rondos depended. How about trading Rondo for Westbrook or Irving. I think KG can play for at least 2 next seasons

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How about trading Rondo for Westbrook or Irving.

Why would OKC or Cleveland do that trade?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
"Everybody's got a price"

-Ted Dibiase

You don't walk away from 10 mil a season.