Author Topic: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3  (Read 9715 times)

Re: Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%? Part 3
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2017, 10:17:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
His three point shooting seems streaky this season as well. First few months it was bad. Then starting in December he was fine to good for a few months. Then as of late he has sucked.

He can shoot three pointers, but he needs to be set and in control and in the corner. Why CBS lets him shoot puzzles me the same way it puzzled me that CBS let sully loft up so many threes.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Himmelsbach doesn't quite get it, either.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/04/03/marcus-smart-looking-for-way-out-shooting-slump/63rBDpDJnAW73s02t8INNM/story.html

There are other types of desperation shots besides strictly beyond halfcourt ones. Subtract all of them, and his percentages significantly improve. Even if it's just 0.5 a game, a grand total of 37 in 74 games, that would turn his current season percentages to 38.4 overall and 30.5 from three, not nearly good but not quite abominable either, just pretty bad.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/04/03/marcus-smart-looking-for-way-out-shooting-slump/63rBDpDJnAW73s02t8INNM/story.html

There are other types of desperation shots besides strictly beyond halfcourt ones. Subtract all of them, and his percentages significantly improve. Even if it's just 0.5 a game, a grand total of 37 in 74 games, that would turn his current season percentages to 38.4 overall and 30.5 from three, not nearly good but not quite abominable either, just pretty bad.

Lol it's been a while since I've seen you on this board. Glad to see you're still making excuses for Smart.

Like I've been saying after watching Smart in his rookie year, the dude can hopefully become Tony Allen at this point. I had hope he would be more, but this past run has been a disappointment. The Celtics could really use him for spacing purposes. It would help out the offense a lot if he could hit a open 3.

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2017, 05:19:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Lol it's been a while since I've seen you on this board. Glad to see you're still making excuses for Smart.

Like I've been saying after watching Smart in his rookie year, the dude can hopefully become Tony Allen at this point. I had hope he would be more, but this past run has been a disappointment. The Celtics could really use him for spacing purposes. It would help out the offense a lot if he could hit a open 3.
Marcus is already better offensively than TA.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Will Marcus Smart ever shoot 40%?

Given that he only shot 41% from the field in college - where he got by on bullying his way to the rim - I don't know if he ever will.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2017, 06:01:39 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I disagree. I think Allen was better at finishing, and he had a nice little mid-range game. He wasn't bad offensively at all before he tore his ACL on offense.

Smart is a better ballhandler, passing, PG stuff. I personally think Allen has proven to be a better defender than Smart thus far. I've seen Allen give players like KD trouble.  I would advise you look at KD's stats in the playoffs against Memphis. Allen has always been able to guard elite players. I cannot say that for Smart, who I've seen get burned by Paul George and Durant to name a few. When I brought this up, people said Smart's height was the reason, but my counter is that it doesn't effect Tony Allen who is listed at the same height.

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2017, 06:05:28 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Aren't there stats for that now? Somewhere in some analytic website's excel sheet is Smart's percentage on wide open threes in normal shot clock conditions. I bet it's better than you'd expect.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Aren't there stats for that now? Somewhere in some analytic website's excel sheet is Smart's percentage on wide open threes in normal shot clock conditions. I bet it's better than you'd expect.

I disagree, but if you find it, please share. Would be great if Smart was good at hitting wide open 3's.

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
What is next? The shot clock is too low excuse?  ::)

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 06:31:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I disagree. I think Allen was better at finishing, and he had a nice little mid-range game. He wasn't bad offensively at all before he tore his ACL on offense.

Smart is a better ballhandler, passing, PG stuff. I personally think Allen has proven to be a better defender than Smart thus far. I've seen Allen give players like KD trouble.  I would advise you look at KD's stats in the playoffs against Memphis. Allen has always been able to guard elite players. I cannot say that for Smart, who I've seen get burned by Paul George and Durant to name a few. When I brought this up, people said Smart's height was the reason, but my counter is that it doesn't effect Tony Allen who is listed at the same height.
if Allen hadnt torn his ACL he would have been better than Marcus on O.

he tore it. He is a better finisher than Smart, he is more explosive than Smart and he is/was a better on-ball defender than Marcus.

The rest, I give the advantage to Marcus, passing and handling are not insignificant. Smart is good in the post and in pick and roll, Smart is a probably a tiny bit more versatile although he isnt able to lock wings down like Allen could. Not too surprising as TA is 1.5 inches taller than Marcus.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

what time period is this referencing?

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

what time period is this referencing?

This season.

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

this season Marcus is shooting 31% on catch and shoot threes and 17% on pull-ups
He is shooting 34% on shots in the "average" range of the shotclock(15-7 seconds). Every other time period is pretty awful.

with a defender within 0-2 feet("very tight") he is shooting 14.3% on threes
within 2-4 feet("tight"): 26%
4-6("open"):32%
6+(very open):25%

Last year the numbers were completely different
He was awful catch and shoot and really good on pull-ups (37%)
He was really good early in the shot clock (by Marcus Smart standards) and historically bad in the middle of shot-clocks
He shot his best percentage with defenders within 2 feet of him.

His rookie numbers finally make some Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing sense.

He was really good in catch and shoot. bad off the dribble. Terrible at the end of the shot clock, pretty good in the beginning, and made 40% of open threes.

Overall he is a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing mystery, but a mystery that is really Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing bad at shooting threes.

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

18 shots 30 feet away or longer. All desperation heaves. If only another 19 threes among the 154 threes 29 feet or closer were taken under duress in desperation after a play breaks down at the end of a shot clock and more towards 29 than 25 feet then we're at 38.4% overall and 30.5% from three.

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

18 shots 30 feet away or longer. All desperation heaves. If only another 19 threes among the 154 threes 29 feet or closer were taken under duress in desperation after a play breaks down at the end of a shot clock and more towards 29 than 25 feet then we're at 38.4% overall and 30.5% from three.
again, this is a bit unfair as every player has a small percentage of desperation shots thrown into their percentages.