Author Topic: Knicks (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/17  (Read 138062 times)

Knicks (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/17
« on: April 16, 2011, 01:31:39 AM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
New York Knicks (0-0) at Boston Celtics (0-0)
Round 1 Game 1
Sunday, April 17
7:00 PM ET
Playoff Game #1, Home Game #1
TV:  TNT, CSN-NE
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups

Point Guard
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Chauncey Billups
This is the key matchup for this series.  As we have seen all season, as Rondo goes, so go the Celtics.  When Rondo is on his game and is aggressive, so are the Celtics as illustrated by the fact that the Celtics were 36-6 when Rondo dished out 10 assists or more but they were just 11-15 when Rondo failed to reach 10 assists.  On the other hand, they don't call Chauncey Billups Mr Big Shot for nothing.  He is capable of hitting big shots and has played big in games throughout his career. Rondo has a speed advantage and needs to use it.  If he does, this matchup is a big advantage for the Celtics.  

vs
Ray Allen vs Landry Fields
This matchup may be the biggest advantage that the Celtics have in this series.  Ray is one of the best all time scorers and Fields is a second round pick who has had a good year, but is still an untested rookie.   Hopefully the rest that they have gotten and the chance to practice to straighten out who sets screens will get Ray back on track for this series.  For much of the season, Fields has led the league in 4th quarter 3 point percentage, but after the trade deadline, he has struggled.  

vs
Paul Pierce vs Carmelo Anthony
This is one of the marquee matchups of these playoffs.  Both players are clutch and come up big for their teams when the pressure is on.  During the Knicks 7 game win streak at the end of the season, Melo averaged almost 30 points and 10 rebounds.  Pierce has a Finals MVP to his credit while Anthony has only made it out of the first round once in his career.  This should be a fum matchup to watch.  

vs
Kevin Garnett vs Amar'e Stoudemire
This is going to be another fun matchup to watch.  Kevin Garnett is all about defense while Stoudemire's forte is on the offensive end.  However,  KG has been very effective and efficient on offense this season but Stoudemire hasn't put much effort into playing defense.  In the 3 games that these 2 have played against each other this season, KG has averaged 22.7 points and 11.3 rebounds per game while Amar'e has averaged 27.3 points and 9.7 rebounds per game.  Stoudemire is younger and stronger than KG but no player in the game has more intensity or desire than KG.  

vs
Jermaine O'Neal vs Ronny Turiaf
So much for being optimistic. Shaq was unable to go through a whole practice and so has been ruled out for this game.  It would have been great to have Shaq out there and know that he was going to be healthy for the playoffs, but even with Jermaine starting at center, the Celtics still have enough in the middle with JO, Krstic and Big Baby to counter the Knicks centers of Turiaf, Shelden Williams and Jared Jeffries. In fact, having more mobile centers might be a benefit in this series.   

Celtics Reserves
Jeff Green
Glen Davis
Jermaine O'Neal
Nenad Krstic
Delonte West
Sasha Pavlovic
Troy Murphy
Avery Bradley
Von Wafer
Carlos Arroyo

Injuries
Shaquille O'Neal (calf, Achilles, age) day to day
Delonte West (ankle) probable

Key off the Bench

Glen Davis
Big Baby has been key for the Celtics all season and will be counted on down the stretch to play with the starters as he has done all year.  The Celtics need his defense and they also need him to make his shots when he is open.  

Delonte West
When Delonte is healthy and can lead the second unit, he has been invaluable to the team.  He has the ability to hit big shots as well as to drive to the basket and he also can run the team to give Rondo some rest.  He is also important to give Ray some rest as he can play both guard spots.  

Knicks Reserves
Toney Douglas
Shawne Williams
Jared Jeffries
Shelden Williams
Anthony Carter
Bill Walker
Renaldo Balkman
Derrick Brown
Roger Mason
Andy Rautins

Injuries
Shelden Williams (ankle) day to day

Key off the Bench

Toney Douglas
Douglas has become the most dependable player off the bench for the Knicks.  He leads the league in 3 point shots since the All Star Break.  He is also one of the better defenders on the Knicks.  

Bill Walker
Walker brings energy off the bench and can hit outside shots as well as slash to the hoop.  He is also a good rebounder and is also one of the Knicks better defenders.  

Keys to the Game
Bench Play  -  We got to see the two benches go head to head in the final game of the season.  The Celtics reserves got the best of the Knicks reserves and should in this series as well.  The Celtics bench is deeper than the Knicks bench.  The Celtics also have considerable playoff experience among their reserves while the Knicks reserves have very little.  It will be key for both teams to be able to rest their starters without giving up too much.  

Defense -  The saying that defense wins championships is very true.  The Celtics have been one of the top defensive teams in the league this season while the Knicks have been one of the top offensive teams.
The Celtics ability to get stops will be a big key in winning this series.  

Move the Ball - When the Celtics move the ball and make the extra pass and find the open man, they are very tough to beat.  There have been times though where the ball stops and each player tries to do too much.  They must play as a team and play unselfish basketball.  

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They have to win the 50-50 balls.  They must be more aggressive in diving for loose balls, going for rebounds, and driving to the basket.  The more aggressive team usually gets the benefit of the calls and also usually wins the game.  

Rebound - The Celtics must make an effort to crash the boards and win the rebounding battle.  The Knicks have not been a good rebounding team and so the Celtics must take advantage of that.  They can limit the Knicks second chance points as well as their fast breaks by beating them to the rebounds.  

X-Factors
Rondo's Play and Officiating
We don't know whether good Rondo or bad Rondo will show up for this series.  In the past, Rondo has always come up big for the team in the playoffs and hopefully with the rest and practice time he will once again come up big in this series.   Officiating can make a big difference in how a series comes out.  If you don't think so, ask the Mavs about the 2006 series against the Heat.  If the officials let them play without inflicting a bias or an agenda into the game, the Celtics should win this series in 5 or 6 games.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:01:04 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Knicks (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/17
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
TP FL.

This game can't come soon enough...these games actually matter to these guys, and I can't wait to see how they respond. Should be a good series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCTyeMJfkh0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7p_GtE8S4A

Also this KG interview is worth everybody's time IMO:

http://www.csnne.com/04/14/11/Kevin-Garnett-Curious-to-see-Cs-at-full-/landing_celtics.html?blockID=504336&feedID=3945

KG:
I always tell the Garden to stay like it is, the Garden is a complete jungle, and I love it.

I probably won't be able to go to any of the games this postseason due to the prices, but I hope everyone of you who are there bring it. I know the crowd will be rocking and I'll be cheering from my living room and/or bar!

LETS GO CELTICS!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:51:05 AM by ejk3489 »

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »

Kiorrik

This thread has got me nervous already. I won't be watching much of the game, due to work. Ugh. Ugly.

I so want to :(

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:53:03 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
TP, Fl ... thanks for all you do! Can't wait for this series ... time to flip the switch, (the one everyone says we no longer have), and surprise a few people ... I love being the underdog team again! Go Celtics!!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:58:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Clearly the Knicks have some gaping holes but I'm still very nervous about this series.  Remember the Bulls pushed the C's in that epic first round last year.  If the Knicks play even a bit of defense, this will be tough.  C's in six.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:22:58 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:40:11 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
TP, FL.

It will be an entertaining series, both teams are talented, but the Celtics are by far the better team.

Today Barça and Real Madrid are facing each other and the whole country is waiting for the game, but I can't wait to watch Celtics playoff basketball.

we need 16 wins. Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
while everyone's thinking about shaq, i think the other o'neal is going to be a huge factor in this series and the playoffs. JO seems to be healthy for the first time in...years. no, we're not getting indy JO, but if he's really right with his knee (and he seems to be - no issues after the back to back, heavy minutes in Washington game, or after the hard practices this week), he gives us rebounding and defense in the middle that we haven't had since perk (who was a negative on offense, unlike JO) or shaq when healthy. is a healthy shaq better? maybe. but a healthy JO is comparable to a healthy perk. perk is probably the better 1-on-1 defender, but its not by much, and JO is a much better offensive player (though perk set better picks). anyway....shaq or no shaq, if we get 20-25 mpg from JO, that's a huge deal.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am not nervous about this game. is that a bad thing?

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
The celtics and knicks have always been very close games but the celtics have always been able to just out execute the knicks and close out the games better. Hopefully that remains the case in this series.

I look for Pierce to have a huge game. He hates the knicks. And KG and Amare don't exactly like each other either.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Considering you've got the whole MASTER OF PANIC thing going, I'd say it's a good thing  ;)

TP, Go Celts!

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Considering you've got the whole MASTER OF PANIC thing going, I'd say it's a good thing  ;)

TP, Go Celts!

i know..and that is what concerns me :D

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Wow was it just me, or was this the longest off-season ever?

Finally back to some real basketball.

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132
Celtics in 5. In fact, none of the rounds before the finals goes past 6 games and in the end it's c's lakers. That's my bold prediction mark it.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 01:22:52 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Watching the bulls v pacers....might be the worst ref crew ever....violet palmer...salvatore....and joey Crawford...man just bad

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »

Offline RajonRondOWNED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
Refs got early voting results back and learned Rose will win MVP. Hence why they gave Chicago a free win and Rose a god awful amount of free throws. He just jumps sideways into people standing perfectly still and chucks up a shot and gets a foul called. Completely bailing out his horrible shooting.