Author Topic: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball  (Read 13966 times)

Re: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 02:03:29 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Marcus Smart earned this first team all-defense awards. The guy is a game changer on that end of the floor.

Unfortunately, I feel a bit of how the OP feels on the offensive side of the floor. I don’t mind 3 pointers off of ball movement or end-of-shot clock heaves (make or miss). The turnovers bother me but I don’t abhor them (he’s an aggressive passer but I like his willingness to anticipate the open man). But I hate it when he calls his own number, especially in a possession with just 1 pass or just 1 pick. He tries to draw fouls (usually unsuccessfully) or he puts up bad shots.

If we were the Cavs or Pistons or something, maybe I wouldn’t mind. But he shares the floor with Tatum, Brown and Kemba. Id even put Pritchard above him on the offensive pecking order.

- LilRip

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 02:46:41 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Imo, Smart is the second best guard defender in the NBA behind only Ben Simmons (who ain't exactly a guard to begin with). He can defend 4 positions: 1 through 4. I've even watched him play amazing D against some 5s! The C's are built around Tatum and Brown. Both of them are switchable (s)wing defenders. Smart is literally the perfect fit in our switch-heavy defensive system.

Obviously, he ain't a scorer. No problem whatsoever by me. This is why we managed to re-sign him on a team friendly contract, plus we already got Tatum and Brown to carry the scoring load. His shot selection is an ongoing issue, but he's a reliable ball handler + passer. Imo, Smart is at his best when running the point. He's averaging a career high 5.5 assists per game this season and only 1.6 t/o per game. I fully expect his assists number to go down now that he'll be playing mostly off the ball next to Kemba.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 05:11:01 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 02:57:21 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think part of the issue with Smart is that he too often tries to go for grandstand plays. He will attempt high risk passes or shots that look awesome when they come off but look bad when they don't. Which is why he can so often turn a game because of a highlight reel play but he doesn't always inspire confidence in his steadiness. That's why most of his plays are either highlight reels or facepalms. Compare that to someone like Hayward who is a lot less ostentatious but more often than not he makes the right play even if it's a boring one. But that's what Smart is, we have to take the good with the bad and hope that over the course of the season there will be more good than bad.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 03:19:27 AM »

Offline mig3zwo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
he's not a scorer. everyone knows it. marcus doesn't. he's teriffic when he does what he does best. the end.
a limbo dancer walks into a bar

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 03:43:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Plays hard and has decent bbiq. But not the skills to match it...still with his fearless attitude will try attempt difficult shots on offense

These days he feels ripped off from the lack of calls. I wish he let it go. Because all that does is rile up his emotions and he doesnt think clearly on the court

Brad as the coach of the team should say something. But is probably afraid of him

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 04:36:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Plays hard and has decent bbiq. But not the skills to match it...still with his fearless attitude will try attempt difficult shots on offense

These days he feels ripped off from the lack of calls. I wish he let it go. Because all that does is rile up his emotions and he doesnt think clearly on the court

Brad as the coach of the team should say something. But is probably afraid of him
Skills aren't only limited to dribbling the ball smoothly between your legs 10 times before shooting a contested stepback three with beautiful form. Marcus is a skilled player - he is a very good passer who knows how the manipulate the defence with fakes before threading the needle (his vision is spectacular for a low-usage guy btw, he rarely misses passing opportunities when his teammates are open), he is a smooth dribbler who can operate in tight spaces by keeping his dribble alive without getting the ball stolen from him, etc.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 08:35:03 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Unsure how I feel about Smart anymore. The few holes he has in his game are some very frustrating ones for fans that cannot be dismissed by "his competitive spirit"

He's a below avg shooter and a terrible finisher. Which is disappointing because he's great at getting to the lane and putting his man on the hip. He just cant do anything but throw an ally to the rim runner. I think that's my issue with him is he hasn't improved as a finisher and probably why he chucks 3s instead, at least those have a 1/3 chance of going in.

I'll get roasted for this take but I think his defense is overstated slightly because of his Celtics passion.
ok fine

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Skills aren't only limited to dribbling the ball smoothly between your legs 10 times before shooting a contested stepback three with beautiful form. Marcus is a skilled player - he is a very good passer who knows how the manipulate the defence with fakes before threading the needle (his vision is spectacular for a low-usage guy btw, he rarely misses passing opportunities when his teammates are open), he is a smooth dribbler who can operate in tight spaces by keeping his dribble alive without getting the ball stolen from him, etc.

Talking about his shooting, especially late in games and also driving/ramming against 2 or 3 guys underneath the basket for a difficult layup.... which he doesnt make and wants a bailout

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 09:38:17 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm sorry he is not a good basketball player. He has very low IQ (shot selection, committing dumb fouls etc) and other than the occasional steal/charge he brings nothing to the table. If i were Ainge i would trade this guy for anyone. Addition by subtraction. I've had enough of him in a Celtics uniform. I'm posting this the day after he supposedly had a "good game" as well.

You categorize first team all defense as "the occasional steal/charge"?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 09:42:09 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Imo, Smart is the second best guard defender in the NBA behind only Ben Simmons (who ain't exactly a guard to begin with). He can defend 4 positions: 1 through 4. I've even watched him play amazing D against some 5s! The C's are built around Tatum and Brown. Both of them are switchable (s)wing defenders. Smart is literally the perfect fit in our switch-heavy defensive system.

Obviously, he ain't a scorer. No problem whatsoever by me. This is why we managed to re-sign him on a team friendly contract, plus we already got Tatum and Brown to carry the scoring load. His shot selection is an ongoing issue, but he's a reliable ball handler + passer. Imo, Smart is at his best when running the point. He's averaging a career high 5.5 assists per game this season and only 1.6 t/o per game. I fully expect his assists number to go down now that he'll be playing mostly off the ball next to Kemba.

I would say he's actually not a great guard defender. The weakest part of his defense, by far, is his on ball defense against better point guards. He can get roasted. He's awesome in the lane and against bigger players, and he makes mind boggling plays.

He could improve his impact considerably if he just avoided most of the ball stopping, particularly with the starters, and that isn't that difficult an adjustment. He should review the video of how he played with Jaylen in the mid-third quarter against Philly Wednesday, and just do that consistently. When this team moves the ball, they win.

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »

Offline ekosins3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I have always liked watching smart play until this year. He was awesome last year and stepped up in the playoffs. It’s like he’s taking a step back this year by going back to being erratic on offense.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 10:21:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I have always liked watching smart play until this year. He was awesome last year and stepped up in the playoffs. It’s like he’s taking a step back this year by going back to being erratic on offense.

He is chasing his next contract

If he reaches another level. Great for everyone

If he doesnt, team probably suffers a little. Because he tries to over extend beyond his capability

Right now he is trying to get more bailout calls than I have seen in the past

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 10:52:20 AM »

Online Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 230
It does not suck to watch Smart put everything he has into every game and leave it all on the floor- always. He hates to lose and his passion on the floor demonstrates that without hesitation. I hope Smart stays with us for many more years. If we had 15 players with his heart and talent, we would be unstoppable but you cannot teach passion and fire to everyone. You either have it or you don’t. You cannot win a title without a few like him as well.

I will gladly trade passion and fire for basketball skill and high intelligence. It's my opinion that Smart has the lowest basketball IQ on this team. He thinks he is Kyrie with the shots he takes. It's insanity.

Smart has very good basketball IQ. The problem is that sometimes his emotions, which are a core part of his competitiveness that makes him great, override his basketball IQ.

I disagree.

He has a low basketball IQ on offense. Taking bad shots, even at critical times, too many turnovers and when in a shooting slump, he keeps jacking up shots while only exacerbating the issue since he is not a good shooter! He loves playing hero ball.

On defense, he has above average IQ, but I think he is overrated. He takes some charges that make highlight reel,  but he loses his man during switches, and commits stupid fouls, like fouling a 3 point shooter. 

Among the core Celtics players, he is the one I would like to trade in a heartbeat.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 11:10:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
It does not suck to watch Smart put everything he has into every game and leave it all on the floor- always. He hates to lose and his passion on the floor demonstrates that without hesitation. I hope Smart stays with us for many more years. If we had 15 players with his heart and talent, we would be unstoppable but you cannot teach passion and fire to everyone. You either have it or you don’t. You cannot win a title without a few like him as well.

I will gladly trade passion and fire for basketball skill and high intelligence. It's my opinion that Smart has the lowest basketball IQ on this team. He thinks he is Kyrie with the shots he takes. It's insanity.

Smart has very good basketball IQ. The problem is that sometimes his emotions, which are a core part of his competitiveness that makes him great, override his basketball IQ.

I disagree.

He has a low basketball IQ on offense. Taking bad shots, even at critical times, too many turnovers and when in a shooting slump, he keeps jacking up shots while only exacerbating the issue since he is not a good shooter! He loves playing hero ball.

On defense, he has above average IQ, but I think he is overrated. He takes some charges that make highlight reel,  but he loses his man during switches, and commits stupid fouls, like fouling a 3 point shooter. 

Among the core Celtics players, he is the one I would like to trade in a heartbeat.

Smart has a decent offensive IQ, unless it is in the 4th quarter or he is trigger happy

At least he has cut out trigger happy shooting prior to the 4th quarter.

But the 4th quarter heroics is still strong 

He has to stop taking contested threes late in games.  He never or rarely makes the shot

Also I'm not sure what to think of his plans to drive in against 2 or 3 defenders.  Ram into them, hoping for something good/bailout

So far, its been lots of complaining to the refs

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Throughout his career, Boston has been slightly better with Smart on the floor then with him on the bench, but it isn't a significant amount such that they might be better off with someone else filling that role.  Not a bum, but just a nice solid player.  Maybe even one that is flawed (like a Lou Williams type player).  I think it is certainly fair and reasonable to wonder though.  I do know that Smart is almost as likely to make a boneheaded play that costs the team as he is to make a spectacular play that helps the team, and that is the real problem in addition to his inability to not take shots.  There is no way he should be shooting the insane amount of 3 point shots he takes.  He should be in the 2-3 range in attempts.  If he did that, he would be so much more valuable as a player and the fact that he doesn't, drives me bonkers. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip