Poll

Which C's will make Team USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup roster? (pick up to 4)

Jaylen Brown
57 (20.7%)
Marcus Smart
52 (18.9%)
Jayson Tatum
81 (29.5%)
Kemba Walker
85 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]  (Read 108553 times)

Re: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]
« Reply #600 on: September 09, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Jaylen is still a bit too mechanical. His feel for the game needs to further improve.  Someone said (on TV? Here?) that he needs to do a better job of attacking more when the opportunity is there, and attacking less when it is not.  Good point.  He also seems to choreograph his moves, especially when his back is to an opponent, rather than letting the defender's position dictate his next move.  Just an example of what I mean by his "feel."

« Reply #601 on: September 09, 2019, 09:44:59 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Jaylen is still a bit too mechanical. His feel for the game needs to further improve.  Someone said (on TV? Here?) that he needs to do a better job of attacking more when the opportunity is there, and attacking less when it is not.  Good point.  He also seems to choreograph his moves, especially when his back is to an opponent, rather than letting the defender's position dictate his next move.  Just an example of what I mean by his "feel."

Agree.

But Popovich seems to get more out of Jaylen by using Jaylen as a 4 or sometimes a 5.

That's something Brad didn't do.

Right now Jaylen is playing well for Team USA as a 4 or 5.

Jaylen doesn't have to do a lot of moves or create shots for himself as a 4 or 5.

So Pop is on to something.

The question now is can Brown be an effective 4 or 5 in the NBA?

« Reply #602 on: September 09, 2019, 10:43:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I agree with this, and it may continue to be a flaw in his game until he gets significantly more experience. But that flaw is endurable when he does so many other things well.

« Reply #603 on: September 09, 2019, 11:13:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27577273/what-brown-do-team-usa-just-everything

Nice story for Brown - he’s earned it. Love to see him keep rolling against the tougher teams we face next!

I think we need Brown to take that mental leap more than anything else this year. We just need a guy with upper-end talent to have the attitude that he can stop anyone on the court and score on anyone on the court. We need that edge.
I think he has the mental game down. What he needs is more polish and experience, as well as a much longer leash than last season. It's infuriating when Brad Stevens yanks him due to one isolated defensive lapse or botched offensive possession when others get a free pass.

The story points out that J.B. has shined with more PT and a bigger role. Hope they find him those minutes and the right role.

Not sure I want to see him banging with bigger fours or fives in the league, tho. He’s strong, but giving away 20 pounds and a few inches every night would take a toll. (Forget about Embiid, where it might be 40 pounds).

« Reply #604 on: September 10, 2019, 03:41:03 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

I agree with this, and it may continue to be a flaw in his game until he gets significantly more experience. But that flaw is endurable when he does so many other things well.

The question is Brown worth keeping if Brown is going to cost the Celts 30m per year?

Buddy Hield is most likely going to get 31.6m per year.

Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray already got 34m per year.

There's just no way Brown will take what Rozier got.

Marcus Smart is only getting 12.5m per year.

Rozier is not even as good as Smart and Rozier got 19m per year.

Jaylen Brown is a very good player, better than Rozier and maybe better than Smart.
The question is he worth keeping at 30m per year when that 30m can be used on another star player or quality big man.

« Reply #605 on: September 10, 2019, 04:53:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The question is Brown worth keeping if Brown is going to cost the Celts 30m per year?

Buddy Hield is most likely going to get 31.6m per year.

Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray already got 34m per year.

There's just no way Brown will take what Rozier got.

Marcus Smart is only getting 12.5m per year.

Rozier is not even as good as Smart and Rozier got 19m per year.

Jaylen Brown is a very good player, better than Rozier and maybe better than Smart.
The question is he worth keeping at 30m per year when that 30m can be used on another star player or quality big man.

See, that just isn’t how the salary cap works.  If the Celtics let Brown walk next year, they’ll have the nontaxpayer mid-level.  (Depending on a couple of other things, like Enes Kanter’s option and whether the Memphis pick conveys, they might have it anyway).  If the Celtics trade Brown now/this season, they can bring back a little under $11.5 million in salary.  If they sign-and-trade Brown next summer, they could bring back at most $19.5 million in salary.

Maxing Brown isn’t taking up $30 million that you could give to a star.  At most he’s taking up what Terry Rozier got.  The only way you can use $30 million on someone instead of Brown is if you max him now and then trade him for roughly equivalent salary next summer.  If that’s your hope, you should be rooting for a max extension.

« Reply #606 on: September 10, 2019, 09:02:11 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Serbia eliminated. Incredible performances from Scola and Campazzo. Argentina went down 1 early in the 4th off a Serbian three, pulled ahead with one of their own two possessions later and never looked back. Surprising because Serbia looked to have lots of momentum heading into the 4th.

Bogdon is a baller. He was Serbia's best player this whole tournament.

« Reply #607 on: September 10, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
When she was young, my grandmother fell in love with Scola.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #608 on: September 10, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Any thoughts on our forthcoming matchup with France?  Will be interesting to see if Pop plays small vs. Gobert/Poirier center position.  Neither is a big offensive threat, so it might just work out fine.  Need to draw Rudy out of the paint as much as possible. 

« Reply #609 on: September 10, 2019, 10:23:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Predict that USA will play Australia in the finals, and it will be a great game.

Before the tournament started, I predicted that Australia would win the championship, based upon how they matched up vs. USA. Hope I am wrong on that. Getting a healthy Tatum back will be important.  Team USA chemistry has improved since that loss.

« Reply #610 on: September 10, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Hi every celtics fans! I am french and I follow french national teams even before falling in love with Celts. So it's quite a long time now.

This year we have a good chemistry since the begining of the preparation. The team is very strong on defense and Gobert benefits about FIBA rules (he can cover the paint very efficienty), he had some impressive flash, blocking a lot of penetration against Lithuania and gernamy. External defense switch good, good team defense, with Batum and athletic/smart guys like Albicy and Ntilikina. Offensively, principal sources of threat for you is Fournier (in a good shape and good confidence -he has beaten twice his scoring record during competition) and De Colo, who come from Bench and is a fantastic european player. He provocs a lot au fault, change his speed quick and seek contact with efficienty. A machine at free throw. X factors Batum and Mbaye (3 point). Lesort on interior defense may be an option. We miss our best point guard, Heurtel, a good creator and 3 point shooter, but we are still beter as usual on 3 point %.

We missed the shot shortly against Australia, but realy it was 50/50 (even 51/49 France), we led most of the game, but didn't managed a 10 point lead (and a lead in the 3 first quarters) and Australia was lucky at the 3 (4/5 for Baynes and 1/1 from the substitute center for exemple). Mills was uge off/def and intercepted the last chance for De Colo ( who is ice cold). And France didn't defend as well as they could during the match (maybe because they were scoring better as expected, not in a defensive fighnting spirit, Australian kind of game).

It will be very hard for us but not impossible. It will depend a lot on the begining of the match. French strenght is begining the first quarter with big intensity. Our chance would be to make you miss shots and don't find too much confidence and as well being hot at the 3. France will fight for sure and Gobert will be very motivated after his bad game against Australia.

By the end, I read pics in this blog since an half decade. My english is not good enough so I have never posted. But I wake up each morning with a read on the blog during season, following your thoughts and emotion about this team I love so much (I speak about Celtics). Admiring your opinion or not (sometimes both with same person like Larrybird  :)) but this blog feed my love for our team.
I am almost 15000 kms from Boston (my home is in a french island on indian ocean), but my blod is green! Celtics for life!

Good luck to you for tomorow. Hope we have our great time, Parker time was finally a bit desapointing even with 1 Euro title.

Nicolas

« Reply #611 on: September 10, 2019, 11:59:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hi every celtics fans! I am french and I follow french national teams even before falling in love with Celts. So it's quite a long time now.

This year we have a good chemistry since the begining of the preparation. The team is very strong on defense and Gobert benefits about FIBA rules (he can cover the paint very efficienty), he had some impressive flash, blocking a lot of penetration against Lithuania and gernamy. External defense switch good, good team defense, with Batum and athletic/smart guys like Albicy and Ntilikina. Offensively, principal sources of threat for you is Fournier (in a good shape and good confidence -he has beaten twice his scoring record during competition) and De Colo, who come from Bench and is a fantastic european player. He provocs a lot au fault, change his speed quick and seek contact with efficienty. A machine at free throw. X factors Batum and Mbaye (3 point). Lesort on interior defense may be an option. We miss our best point guard, Heurtel, a good creator and 3 point shooter, but we are still beter as usual on 3 point %.

We missed the shot shortly against Australia, but realy it was 50/50 (even 51/49 France), we led most of the game, but didn't managed a 10 point lead (and a lead in the 3 first quarters) and Australia was lucky at the 3 (4/5 for Baynes and 1/1 from the substitute center for exemple). Mills was uge off/def and intercepted the last chance for De Colo ( who is ice cold). And France didn't defend as well as they could during the match (maybe because they were scoring better as expected, not in a defensive fighnting spirit, Australian kind of game).

It will be very hard for us but not impossible. It will depend a lot on the begining of the match. French strenght is begining the first quarter with big intensity. Our chance would be to make you miss shots and don't find too much confidence and as well being hot at the 3. France will fight for sure and Gobert will be very motivated after his bad game against Australia.

By the end, I read pics in this blog since an half decade. My english is not good enough so I have never posted. But I wake up each morning with a read on the blog during season, following your thoughts and emotion about this team I love so much (I speak about Celtics). Admiring your opinion or not (sometimes both with same person like Larrybird  :)) but this blog feed my love for our team.
I am almost 15000 kms from Boston (my home is in a french island on indian ocean), but my blod is green! Celtics for life!

Good luck to you for tomorow. Hope we have our great time, Parker time was finally a bit desapointing even with 1 Euro title.

Nicolas
Great name, I like you already Nicolas. TP

« Reply #612 on: September 10, 2019, 01:04:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Nicolas

TP for the scouting report which I am forwarding to Coach Pop. I expect a very tough game vs France.

And your English is excellent. Keep posting on Celtics strong.

Would like your thoughts on how you feel Poirier will do for Celtics.

Merci beaucoup.

« Reply #613 on: September 10, 2019, 01:41:05 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Parker time was finally a bit desapointing even with 1 Euro title.

Welcome :D

One euro title is not a small accomplishment considering that the Parker era and the Gasol era happened at the same time. Gasol's Spain is one of the best European NTs of all times.

But France could have done better. The 2005 quarterfinal and the way the whole team choked and lost the game is monumental

« Reply #614 on: September 10, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Thanks a lot for your welcome, both of you. It's a little positive thing, so it makes me happy. I will try to post sometimes so.

For Poirier, I know him just a little. I saw him on french team but he integretated the A team late. He wa not that huge on french league and showed himself this year on Euroleague.
My guess is that he won't be a total bust but will be useless probably in playoff games. He has a good fighter spirit, great effort, positive energy, good hands, good knowledge of positionning in and around the paint and a good defensive rebounder, even in the NBA I think (it was Always his strenght). On defense it will be a problem with switches and mismatches, he is quite slow on the ground, can't cover at all external in NBA way. The speed/wideness of the game may be a problem even if he is not that slow for his size. Not a good alternative at Kanter way of playing.

After all he remains me a little about Theis. Different qualities with bigger size, better rebounder but without shoot after 5 meters (check aout the feets), slower… But the kind of european happy with his role, finished player (almost), good IQ, who brings positive Energy when needed, some key rebounds or interior defense. But he is of course far away Barnes level (lack of 3 point shoot / strenght).

Parker time was finally a bit desapointing even with 1 Euro title.

Welcome :D

One euro title is not a small accomplishment considering that the Parker era and the Gasol era happened at the same time. Gasol's Spain is one of the best European NTs of all times.

But France could have done better. The 2005 quarterfinal and the way the whole team choked and lost the game is monumental

TP. They were at least 3 big disapointment :
 _ the Euro 2005 with this incredible match (in semifinal) where we we Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. the end of the game against Greece -and USA team know they could be Deadly at the time-, but it was an unprobable last minute with Antoine Rigaudeau missed free throws for his last match (best euroleague player in late 90's and early 00's) and a terrible 3 at the buzzer. But it was early on Parker/Diaw era and it was not there fail (Diaw was very good I guess)
_ Olympics Campaign : not qialified on 2008, quarterfinalists 2012/16 with Spain as our lecons teacher). Beautifull looser, embodying our image sometimes on sports (rugby, tennis… we still have soccer ). It's especially dispaointing because the biggest moment of recent french basket before 2013 was the final of Olympics game with an unprobable team with Rigaudeau Weiss, Sciarra with a hot shot underdog performance. 
_ The biggest desappointment was the lost again Spain again at our Euro in France. We were favorite, very big atmosphere and the supposed apogée, main moment on Parker carreer, but he was already little on his decline.

Euro 2013, Parker was the hero. It was the competition where he was the best european player. But it was the only one. His game was not so much adapted on FIBA (he was still fantastic but his game was less adapted than Gasol or Nowitzkis ones)

And we missed Rudy Gobert at the time,it was exactly the good complementary player of Diaw, Young talents Batum De Colo... the planets where not lined up.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:42:44 PM by Rikibellevie »