Author Topic: McDaniels Rejects The Colts And Will Stay In New England  (Read 8935 times)

Re: McDaniels Rejects The Colts And Will Stay In New England
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Wouldn't you rather have a decade of Andrew Luck rather than whatever random player replaces Brady.

1) We don't know how long Brady will play. I'm guessing that McDaniels has a better idea than we do.

2) We don't know how good Luck will be. We think he will be good, but we're not sure. He could come back next year and throw 15+ Ints.

3) We don't know how long it will take for Indy to accumulate talent. I would not have predicted that they would struggle so much after making the AFC championship a couple of years ago.

If Luck becomes really good, and Indy continues to struggle in the personnel department, why would Luck stay?

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think everyone is better off here. Frankly, the Colts dodged a bullet, because McDaniels is a horrible HC.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think everyone is better off here. Frankly, the Colts dodged a bullet, because McDaniels is a horrible HC.

I agree. I don't know when other teams will realize that New England coordinators just don't pan out elsewhere. And I'm glad that McDaniels realized (seemingly) where his abilities lie.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

I think that is too strong. He wasn't very good in Denver, but that doesn't mean he will fail at his next job.

Belichick wasn't very good in CLE. Before that, he was winning Super bowls as a coordinator.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Total bush league move by McDaniels. Didn't he come close to pulling the same thing with San Francisco? I would have to assume that he was promised the head coaching job in NE because he will never get another interview from another NFL team now. The only success he has ever had was being a coordinator for arguably the greatest head coach in NFL history and having Brady run the offense. He failed miserably in Denver, then became the offensive coordinator for one season in St Louis, who became the 28th-worst offense that year.

Any one know what happened to the assistant coaches from NE that agreed to sign with Indy?

BTW, doesn't this sound very similar to what happened to the Jets between Parcells and Belichick? Funny, but I thought Belichick hated being the hand picked successor and wanted to enjoy success away from Parcells.

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Any time the Colts can get screwed over, I'm all for it.  Screw that franchise.

In any other setting, I'd say a bush league move by McDaniels but considering the franchise getting screwed over here? Ho-Hum.  I'll let it pass.

(Can't see McDaniels getting another HC gig outside of NE after pulling this, though).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
good for PAts but kind of a low move by McDaniels

I bet Kraft got a hold of McDaniels personally and told him that once Belly is gone, he will become the next head coach. Also prob was offered a raise

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 09:18:22 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I don't think its that big of a deal. Indy stinks. They stink so much that they're getting the #3 pick in the draft.

Andrew Luck can't stay healthy. When he is healthy, he can't protect the ball like top-flight QBs.

If he didn't sign anything, Indy has no recourse. Why not have him sign something before announcing to the world? Seems like an amateur move by Indy.

McDaniels made the right call by staying. He would have been out of Indy in 3 years after 3 losing seasons. Luck=overrated.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:30:26 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Belichick wasn't very good in CLE. Before that, he was winning Super bowls as a coordinator.
Maybe, but Josh has really only been great with Brady. Even if he he was just mediocre in Denver, he was still god-awful as the Rams OC the following year when they lost 14 games and Sam Bradford had the worst season of his career.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:59:58 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Wouldn't you rather have a decade of Andrew Luck rather than whatever random player replaces Brady.

McDaniels will have other opportunities.

But the situation he's in right now is a really good one. He's the OC working with the GOAT. Why not ride it a bit until a really good situation comes along?
His only shot at a head coaching job is New England.  no one else will hire him now.

Yahoo agrees

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-mcdaniels-petulant-move-jilting-colts-provides-cautionary-tale-31-nfl-teams-060451467.html
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

But the situation he's in right now is a really good one. He's the OC working with the GOAT. Why not ride it a bit until a really good situation comes along?
His only shot at a head coaching job is New England.  no one else will hire him now.

Yahoo agrees

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-mcdaniels-petulant-move-jilting-colts-provides-cautionary-tale-31-nfl-teams-060451467.html

I suspect that's just fine by Josh McDaniels since he's going to be the next Patriots' head coach.

Ask yourself -- would you want to be the next head coach after Greg Popovich, or the next head coach after Jason Kidd?

I think your prospects of succeeding are always better if you take over a franchise with really strong infrastructure in place, instead of heading up a dysfunctional franchise with a single superstar and disarray everywhere else.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yahoo agrees

I suspect that's just fine by Josh McDaniels since he's going to be the next Patriots' head coach.

Ask yourself -- would you want to be the next head coach after Greg Popovich, or the next head coach after Jason Kidd?

I think your prospects of succeeding are always better if you take over a franchise with really strong infrastructure in place, instead of heading up a dysfunctional franchise with a single superstar and disarray everywhere else.
How good is the Patriots infrastructure without Bill there though?  I mean Kraft has allegedly been interfering a lot more this season and that is with Bill there.  And what happens to the team without Brady?

As for your question, I'd rather coach Giannis then the Spurs without Leonard (which is a more apt comparison since the Patriots are soon going to be without Brady), even as good as Buford and that organization is (though again how much of that is Pop), at the end of the day talent is what wins and I'd rather have the franchise altering talent then the unknown.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kraft or Irsay?  That's a no brainer.

Who knows how the Pats will look post Brady. It's not like Kraft was running a dump organization before Belichick got there either, though.  4 playoff appearances including a SB loss.  So I think the organization will still be stable & continue to be a better employer when contrasted with the Colts.    Performance-wise, they'll certainly take a step back.  That's what happens when you lose someone like Brady.   But they'll still be a good organization and the Krafts seem to be more stable and better decision makers that Irsay. 

Outside of Luck (and even that is a huge question mark right now), what does the Colts organization really offer right now? 

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Who knows how the Pats will look post Brady. It's not like Kraft was running a dump organization before Belichick got there either, though.  4 playoff appearances including a SB loss.  So I think the organization will still be stable & continue to be a better employer when contrasted with the Colts.    Performance-wise, they'll certainly take a step back.  That's what happens when you lose someone like Brady.   But they'll still be a good organization and the Krafts seem to be more stable and better decision makers that Irsay. 

Outside of Luck (and even that is a huge question mark right now), what does the Colts organization really offer right now?

Are you forgetting that Kraft bought the team when they had the #1 pick (Bledsoe) and Bill Parcells? I forget the timing of when that trio came together, but it was close. The Patriots are still feeling the effects of the foundation that Parcells laid down, thanks to Belichick. Kraft has had the luxury of relying on two of the greatest football minds in NFL history (Parcells and Belichick) to help run the team. I'm sorry, but McDaniels is not close to those two guys. Heck, Pete Carroll wasn't close to them, when he was here. Kraft has also had the luxury of basically having two quarterbacks during his ownership (Bledsoe and Brady). I'm sorry, but finding quarterbacks of that stature are extremely difficult.

The Patriots have also been drafting in the mid to high 20's for how many years now? Outside of a 40 plus year old Brady and a possible soon to retire Gronk, what other elite talent does this team possess? Belichick has gotten the most out of the players on the roster, and I highly doubt McDaniels could do the same.

To me, Belichick has proven that he could win without Brady (2008 season, and Brady suspension). Can Brady win without Belichick? Can McDaniels win without both Belichick and Brady?

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Are you forgetting that Kraft bought the team when they had the #1 pick (Bledsoe) and Bill Parcells? I forget the timing of when that trio came together, but it was close. The Patriots are still feeling the effects of the foundation that Parcells laid down, thanks to Belichick. Kraft has had the luxury of relying on two of the greatest football minds in NFL history (Parcells and Belichick) to help run the team. I'm sorry, but McDaniels is not close to those two guys. Heck, Pete Carroll wasn't close to them, when he was here. Kraft has also had the luxury of basically having two quarterbacks during his ownership (Bledsoe and Brady). I'm sorry, but finding quarterbacks of that stature are extremely difficult.

The Patriots have also been drafting in the mid to high 20's for how many years now? Outside of a 40 plus year old Brady and a possible soon to retire Gronk, what other elite talent does this team possess? Belichick has gotten the most out of the players on the roster, and I highly doubt McDaniels could do the same.

To me, Belichick has proven that he could win without Brady (2008 season, and Brady suspension). Can Brady win without Belichick? Can McDaniels win without both Belichick and Brady?

I'm not forgetting anything.  I'm well versed in their history.   Kraft bought the team with Parcells & Bledsoe on board (Orthwein was the previous owner that brought in Parcells and was also there for the #1 pick in '93).

Kraft has nearly a 25 year old track record of pretty sustained success with this organization.  He's had his hiccups (see Connecticut & the '96 draft) but it's a well run organization.   He's the one that made the decision to bring in Belichick when Belichick wasn't Belichick.  Do people forget how much flack was given at the time and even up through the first quarter of the '01 season? McDaniels also has familiarity with the organization.  That goes a long ways.  Meanwhile, look at Indy's recent history.

I have no idea if McDaniels can win without Brady (the Belichick part is irrelevant).   Will we see a repeat of the past 17 years?  Absolutely not.  But are we going to start seeing 1-15 or 2-14 seasons all of a sudden?  I'm not quite sure.   Given the stability in this organization and the way it has been run the past 24 years, I'm not inclined to believe that either.   

Again, what give Indy the one up on New England here?  A younger but very injury concerned Andrew Luck?  What else?   That was the gist of my prior post.  NE v. Indy. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:41:16 PM by Donoghus »