Author Topic: Rondo missed both free throws in clutch again  (Read 17241 times)

Re: Rondo missed both free throws in clutch again
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Because Shaq had never contributed to a deep playoff run before someone tried it on him
Do we really need to go over the difference between how and when Shaq handles the ball (as opposed to your average PG)?
Shaq had the ball in his hands quite a bit. Difference was he was trying to score with it, whereas Rondo isn't
Precisely. And when Shaq is trying to score, he can do that at a fairly good clip even with someone hanging on his neck, rendering the intentional hack strategy not very efficient. Rondo, on the other hand, mostly dribbles around trying to pass.

This, of course, applies solely for the last 2 minutes of the game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Because Shaq had never contributed to a deep playoff run before someone tried it on him
Do we really need to go over the difference between how and when Shaq handles the ball (as opposed to your average PG)?
Shaq had the ball in his hands quite a bit. Difference was he was trying to score with it, whereas Rondo isn't
Precisely. And when Shaq is trying to score, he can do that at a fairly good clip even with someone hanging on his neck, rendering the intentional hack strategy not very efficient. Rondo, on the other hand, mostly dribbles around trying to pass.

Shaq could score with Alonzo Mourning hanging on his neck? Odd. He couldn't do it with Dennis Rodman defending him straight up.

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2014, 02:31:16 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
So, let me get this straight, the Mavericks won this game and Rondo put up a stat line of 15/7/6 and people are going after free throws that were, ultimately, meaningless now?

Hardly surprising.

Meh, let's not pretend this was a good game or anything... yes, he scored 15, but it took him 17 shots to get there. 6 assists isn't exactly anything to write home about. His Laker game was much more indicative of his talent I think.

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
So, let me get this straight, the Mavericks won this game and Rondo put up a stat line of 15/7/6 and people are going after free throws that were, ultimately, meaningless now?

Hardly surprising.

Meh, let's not pretend this was a good game or anything... yes, he scored 15, but it took him 17 shots to get there. 6 assists isn't exactly anything to write home about. His Laker game was much more indicative of his talent I think.

Just out of curiosity, did you see the game?

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
THIS THREAD IS LIKE

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Shaq could score with Alonzo Mourning hanging on his neck? Odd. He couldn't do it with Dennis Rodman defending him straight up.
You'd be shocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWToZO_Cf4
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
THIS THREAD IS LIKE

Kind of like your username.  ;D

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

You'd be shocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWToZO_Cf4
So then why did people hack a Shaq him?......maybe because...hack a insert name here doesn't work?

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
So then why did people hack a Shaq him?......maybe because...hack a insert name here doesn't work?
They hacked him because he was shooting .450 from the line -- which makes it a viable strategy to put him on the line repeatedly over the course of the game.

Not so much a viable long-run strategy when you're shooting .650 (you'll probably end up with more points per possession over a large-ish number of FT attempts). But in the last 2 minutes when you really need a bucket, rather than split FTs? You could still give it to Shaq and he will probably throw it down even if you're trying to foul him. Give it to Rondo, not so much.

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
They hacked him because he was shooting .450 from the line -- which makes it a viable strategy to put him on the line repeatedly over the course of the game.

Not so much a viable long-run strategy when you're shooting .650 (you'll probably end up with more points per possession over a large-ish number of FT attempts). But in the last 2 minutes when you really need a bucket, rather than split FTs? You could still give it to Shaq and he will probably throw it down even if you're trying to foul him. Give it to Rondo, not so much.
It strikes me as more of a desperation thing when you're beat. It's hard for me to think of a single game where a team won cause they purposely hacked.

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

It strikes me as more of a desperation thing when you're beat. It's hard for me to think of a single game where a team won cause they purposely hacked.

Helped win Kansas a national title in '08.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The Spurs did it against Phoenix when they were, in fact, AHEAD in the score.

It's situational. Probably does you no good to put a 60% FT shooter on the line 10 times over the course of the game (the other team will get 6 points out of that, it's harder to make them shot 3 / 5 over those possessions). When you're 5 points behind with a minute to go, it's probably a good idea to put them on the line, since there's a good chance it will still be a 2-possession game after they shoot FTs.

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Coach Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs used the Hack-a-Shaq strategy successfully in Game 5 of the Spurs' 2008 first round series against O'Neal and the Phoenix Suns. ESPN.com reported, "Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had his players intentionally foul O'Neal, a 52 percent career free-throw shooter, throughout the game. He finished 9-of-20 from the line, dropping the Suns to 20-of-37 total on free throws."[23] The Suns were eliminated from the playoffs in a 92–87 Spurs win.

Greg

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Coach Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs used the Hack-a-Shaq strategy successfully in Game 5 of the Spurs' 2008 first round series against O'Neal and the Phoenix Suns. ESPN.com reported, "Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had his players intentionally foul O'Neal, a 52 percent career free-throw shooter, throughout the game. He finished 9-of-20 from the line, dropping the Suns to 20-of-37 total on free throws."[23] The Suns were eliminated from the playoffs in a 92–87 Spurs win.
Since we are at this topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2LRDO4jiBo

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2014, 08:55:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Spurs woulda won anyway