Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119986 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #885 on: July 18, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If we keep Smart at 4 years, between 46-50M total, that would be a BEAUTIFUL deal!  ;D

Also, his contract could help in the future if we do trade for another star (since his contract would be between 11.5-13M/Year). We didn't have a contract like that so a deal for Kawhi or another star was really complicated this summer (unless we were willing to trade a max player OR Brown+Tatum both).

As for the tax, I trust Ainge and the front office to find a way!  8)

My original prediction/hope was 4/44M or 4/48M. Looks like it'll happen. There was the risk a team like SAC or CHI could overpay him this summer, or he takes the QO, does well and gets a ton elsewhere next summer. Locking him up for 3-4 years is nice. I feel like you need someone like Smart to win a championship.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #886 on: July 18, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Looks as if something else has to happen to keep Cs out of the luxury tax besides Nader getting stretched if this report is true.

Maybe move Morris for an expiring?

Isn't Morris an expiring?

True, maybe they just waive him..
Waiving a player does not remove his salary from the books.

« Reply #887 on: July 18, 2018, 01:23:39 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Looks as if something else has to happen to keep Cs out of the luxury tax besides Nader getting stretched if this report is true.

No. Nader can be waived to save around 1 mill.

Morris will need to be moved for a late second rounder. Mook, bro, forgive me for saying that. Go win a ring with a West team... You've been stellar... Dude deserves a ring if he keeps doing what he do.

Stretching Nader's dead money won't be enough.

« Reply #888 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Yeah I realized that. Sigh

« Reply #889 on: July 18, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Yeah I realized that. Sigh

Trading Morris to someone and taking no salary back is doable...

« Reply #890 on: July 18, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Maybe, not much cap room out there currently.

I don't think its a priority though, if it was they'd have needed to salary dump faster. I think the team will keep Morris as a depth piece given their intention to contend this year.

« Reply #891 on: July 18, 2018, 01:38:41 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Next step should be to trade Rozier, preferably for a 1st rounder in 2020 (the potential "double draft"). You're about to lock up your other back-up PG, you've got other ballhandlers at other positions (especially Hayward at SF), and your cap will never allow you to re-sign Rozier and stay out of the repeater tax without dumping one of your elite players.

Only reason Danny doesn't do this is if he thinks the team has a legit chance to win it all this year, and one year of a solid backup PG in Rozier is more valuable than that future 1st. (I think they do have a chance at a title this year, but I'd say that future first, if you can get it, is still worth the last year of Rozier's rookie contract.)
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #892 on: July 18, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't think its a priority though, if it was they'd have needed to salary dump faster. I think the team will keep Morris as a depth piece given their intention to contend this year.

Not much cap room, no, but there are also a few trade exceptions he’d fit into.  Depending where the final numbers are, moving Yabusele could also be sufficient.  A 4-year, $46 million deal could start at $10.3 million. 

« Reply #893 on: July 18, 2018, 01:52:56 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Not much cap room, no, but there are also a few trade exceptions he’d fit into.  Depending where the final numbers are, moving Yabusele could also be sufficient.  A 4-year, $46 million deal could start at $10.3 million. 
There is absolutely no rush anyway as the C's have 6 months or so to figure out the best course of action.

« Reply #894 on: July 18, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

There is absolutely no rush anyway as the C's have 6 months or so to figure out the best course of action.

Reading Smith report, sounds like Celtics want to keep Morris this season. Like his nasty streak.

« Reply #895 on: July 18, 2018, 01:57:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Next step should be to trade Rozier, preferably for a 1st rounder in 2020 (the potential "double draft"). You're about to lock up your other back-up PG, you've got other ballhandlers at other positions (especially Hayward at SF), and your cap will never allow you to re-sign Rozier and stay out of the repeater tax without dumping one of your elite players.

Only reason Danny doesn't do this is if he thinks the team has a legit chance to win it all this year, and one year of a solid backup PG in Rozier is more valuable than that future 1st. (I think they do have a chance at a title this year, but I'd say that future first, if you can get it, is still worth the last year of Rozier's rookie contract.)

Doubt they trade Rozier until they get Kyrie to re-sign.  Need his insurance. Bringing back Smart insufficient.

If Kyrie bolts, look for Celtics to target a PG with the SAC pick.

« Reply #896 on: July 18, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Doubt they trade Rozier until they get Kyrie to re-sign.  Need his insurance. Bringing back Smart insufficient.

If Kyrie bolts, look for Celtics to target a PG with the SAC pick.

If Kyrie bolts, you simply give the keys to Rozier. You're not going to get anyone better in a trade or the draft (2019 draft is very weak at PG anyway). Rozier is criminally underrated here, he's just a throw-in to every trade proposal known to man. He's already a very good PG in his 3rd year. Just don't get the "Let's just toss up Rozier to get whatever marginal bench  player we can get"...

« Reply #897 on: July 18, 2018, 02:28:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
4 years for $48-50 mil? I'd be okay with that. Fair deal imo. Gives the C's a nice mid size contract to trade as well if need be.

« Reply #898 on: July 18, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Rewind 18 months when people were nervous about Smart wanting a $20 mil a year contract, getting his for less than $13 mil a year is nice. I think locking up his leadership for 4 years is a good idea and I'm continuing to cling to my idea that some long term stability will help his shooting.

As for the rest of the roster, I think this is a championship roster. Make a run at it and figure out the rest later.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #899 on: July 18, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
This what I was hoping to see. I’d say that’s fair value for his services. I thought he’d just sign the QO this late in the game. Good news  8)