Poll

Guess: Who Is Lebron Playing For After This Season?

Cleveland Cavaliers (He Stays)
33 (30.6%)
Houston Rockets
13 (12%)
Los Angeles Clippers
3 (2.8%)
Los Angeles Lakers
32 (29.6%)
New York Knicks
4 (3.7%)
Boston Celtics (Hey... Who Knows)
4 (3.7%)
Philadelphia 76ers
9 (8.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (0.9%)
San Antonio Spurs
6 (5.6%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?  (Read 49652 times)

Re: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This thread title is embarrassing to me as a Celtics Fan on this board honestly. I feel like we are letting 76ers fans troll us on our own board. I think I like and enjoy Simmons, embiid and Covington more than the casual basketball fan. I think they have a really great future and will be a big threat in the next 5 years. Given all that is absolutely insane to me that we have the over the tap fans on this board (I guess of philly) going nuts when philly beats a clippers team with 9 active players down 3 starters and doesn't even comment on a 10-5 Minnesota team that added jimmy butler. Now we somehow have Lebron joining a team with teammates 10-15 years younger than him, with a franchise player that is extremely ball dominant? It's embarrassing. Let's stop this now
Who went nuts about the Sixers beating the Clippers?  They also beat the Rockets and no one went nuts.  The Sixers have played one of the toughest schedules so far with 10 road games out of 14.  If they can finish .500 in the 1st half of the season and Embiid stays healthy, they should make the playoffs since their 2nd half schedule is much easier.  That would be a good result for their season. 

Why would the TWolves get many comments?  They are in the West and aren't getting by GSW.  Butler certainly makes them better.  They lost the 2 games he didn't play by 20+ points.  Wiggins and Towns have played 3+ and 2+ years.  The last 1+ years playing for Thibs and they are still poor defenders. 

If Lebron leaves the Cavs, he doesn't have any great options.  If I'm the Sixers, I wouldn't pursue Lebron and would hope that Lebron didn't express any public interest in being on the Sixers.  The Lebron/Simmons fit would be problematic but could be worked around.  The Lebron baggage would be a lot more difficult.  He's not just going to come in and fit into their system.  How would he work with Coach Brown who their players like and respect?   

If I'm the Sixers, the player I'd probably pursue first would be Paul George.  He's a better fit for their system, he doesn't have the baggage and he's 5 years younger.  George, Embiid, Simmons, Covington plus Fultz, if he gets his act together, would be a threat to be worried about.

There were probably 5-6 posts talking about the 76ers beating the clippers (a pretty awful team right now) and not a single post about the twolves dominating the spurs within a night of a each other (a much better team). Obviously we have either some actual 76er fans here (I know one got suspended or booted for making dark Len bias jokes). It has obviously been a problem on this board to the point the point the mods merged and created an all things 76ers thread because people were flooding the board with 76ers stuff (it has gotten better than since then). I am sure the 76ers fans would be equally annoyed if I created a "if the celtics get Antonio Davis will they dominate us for a half decade" thread.

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This thread title is embarrassing to me as a Celtics Fan on this board honestly. I feel like we are letting 76ers fans troll us on our own board. I think I like and enjoy Simmons, embiid and Covington more than the casual basketball fan. I think they have a really great future and will be a big threat in the next 5 years. Given all that is absolutely insane to me that we have the over the tap fans on this board (I guess of philly) going nuts when philly beats a clippers team with 9 active players down 3 starters and doesn't even comment on a 10-5 Minnesota team that added jimmy butler. Now we somehow have Lebron joining a team with teammates 10-15 years younger than him, with a franchise player that is extremely ball dominant? It's embarrassing. Let's stop this now
Who went nuts about the Sixers beating the Clippers?  They also beat the Rockets and no one went nuts.  The Sixers have played one of the toughest schedules so far with 10 road games out of 14.  If they can finish .500 in the 1st half of the season and Embiid stays healthy, they should make the playoffs since their 2nd half schedule is much easier.  That would be a good result for their season. 

Why would the TWolves get many comments?  They are in the West and aren't getting by GSW.  Butler certainly makes them better.  They lost the 2 games he didn't play by 20+ points.  Wiggins and Towns have played 3+ and 2+ years.  The last 1+ years playing for Thibs and they are still poor defenders. 

If Lebron leaves the Cavs, he doesn't have any great options.  If I'm the Sixers, I wouldn't pursue Lebron and would hope that Lebron didn't express any public interest in being on the Sixers.  The Lebron/Simmons fit would be problematic but could be worked around.  The Lebron baggage would be a lot more difficult.  He's not just going to come in and fit into their system.  How would he work with Coach Brown who their players like and respect?   

If I'm the Sixers, the player I'd probably pursue first would be Paul George.  He's a better fit for their system, he doesn't have the baggage and he's 5 years younger.  George, Embiid, Simmons, Covington plus Fultz, if he gets his act together, would be a threat to be worried about.

There were probably 5-6 posts talking about the 76ers beating the clippers (a pretty awful team right now) and not a single post about the twolves dominating the spurs within a night of a each other (a much better team). Obviously we have either some actual 76er fans here (I know one got suspended or booted for making dark Len bias jokes). It has obviously been a problem on this board to the point the point the mods merged and created an all things 76ers thread because people were flooding the board with 76ers stuff (it has gotten better than since then). I am sure the 76ers fans would be equally annoyed if I created a "if the celtics get Antonio Davis will they dominate us for a half decade" thread.
Almost all of the Sixers threads were started by Sixers bashers.  This one is a nice if somewhat silly change of pace. 

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

it is pretty easy to understand why the Sixers would be talked about more than the Wolves.  The Sixers are not only in the East but also in the Atlantic. Thus Boston has to play them a lot and may very well play them in the playoffs not just this year but for years to come.  People also hate the blatant tanking and the fact that it appears to have worked just rubs people the wrong way.  The wolves aren't those things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2017, 04:34:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

it is pretty easy to understand why the Sixers would be talked about more than the Wolves.  The Sixers are not only in the East but also in the Atlantic. Thus Boston has to play them a lot and may very well play them in the playoffs not just this year but for years to come.  People also hate the blatant tanking and the fact that it appears to have worked just rubs people the wrong way.  The wolves aren't those things.

Moranis didnt the wolves tank also?

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Almost all of the Sixers threads were started by Sixers bashers.  This one is a nice if somewhat silly change of pace.

This is definitely inaccurate. There were more trades talking about how great Noel and okafor were and later saric were and how the Celtics should trade everything from the Brooklyn pick to smart and other things for them. In retrospect they would be pretty embarrassing threads to bump for the posters here cause they show how deep the the enfatuation with them got.

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2017, 04:52:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I don't think trading love for wiggins and Bennett is considered tanking.  They were definitely bad after that but I just don't see that as tanking.

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I don't think trading love for wiggins and Bennett is considered tanking.  They were definitely bad after that but I just don't see that as tanking.

Didn't you once start a thread that said they were tanking cause they traded chase budinger? I am pretty sure you did and you half concinced me

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Didn't you once start a thread that said they were tanking cause they traded chase budinger? I am pretty sure you did and you half concinced me
Yeah you actually started a thread "wolves continue tank trade chase budinger" and argued they were tanking for multiple years (others argued with you)
I wouldn't say it's them tanking as much as it is they are creating more minutes for Wiggins and Muhammad because they are better than Budinger.

Good trade for the Pacers. Adding some nice role players to put next to George.
Wiggins started every game last year for the Wolves and Muhammad is a SG.  Budinger was a quality bench player.  they didn't need to move him to create more minutes for those two.  It was a move to save money and they got nothing of value at all in return.

Budinger can play both positions if his team needed him to. He was expendable. There's no need to make a big deal out of this. At all.
I didn't.  Just pointing out that a team that tanked last year is letting its veterans go in free agency or trading them for nothing, and is thus continuing its tank.

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah you actually started a thread "wolves continue tank trade chase budinger" and argued they were tanking for multiple years (others argued with you)
I wouldn't say it's them tanking as much as it is they are creating more minutes for Wiggins and Muhammad because they are better than Budinger.

Wiggins started every game last year for the Wolves and Muhammad is a SG.  Budinger was a quality bench player.  they didn't need to move him to create more minutes for those two.  It was a move to save money and they got nothing of value at all in return.

Budinger can play both positions if his team needed him to. He was expendable. There's no need to make a big deal out of this. At all.
I didn't.  Just pointing out that a team that tanked last year is letting its veterans go in free agency or trading them for nothing, and is thus continuing its tank.
I recall that thread. That was a bit of a troll on my part, but looking back I don't see them as a tank at least not like Philly or OKC

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I recall that thread. That was a bit of a troll on my part, but looking back I don't see them as a tank at least not like Philly or OKC
I think tanking is a spectrum.

Plenty of teams including Minnesota and us have tanked on some level over the past few years.

Teams like OKC Philly, and sneakily, the Lakers have tanked to the extremes.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
This is a very hard question. Everyone assumed the lakers, but I just cant see him going there if theres no chance they can win, and with Lonzo, Ingrham and Free Agnet Star X I don't see them being truly competitive. Say what you want about Lebron, and I do find him insufferable, he's always gone where he stands the best chance of winning and chasing Jordan. For that reason phili doesn't quite make sense either, as simmons and embiid are still probably a couple of years away form peak and tying your career to joel embiids injury history seems dangerous. Going west doesn't eem t make sense, but there really no team in the east that is close enough to entice him and can actually pay him. I said spurs, because why not?

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2017, 07:07:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
This is a very hard question. Everyone assumed the lakers, but I just cant see him going there if theres no chance they can win, and with Lonzo, Ingrham and Free Agnet Star X I don't see them being truly competitive. Say what you want about Lebron, and I do find him insufferable, he's always gone where he stands the best chance of winning and chasing Jordan. For that reason phili doesn't quite make sense either, as simmons and embiid are still probably a couple of years away form peak and tying your career to joel embiids injury history seems dangerous. Going west doesn't eem t make sense, but there really no team in the east that is close enough to entice him and can actually pay him. I said spurs, because why not?
Because the Spurs won't have anywhere close to 35% Max cap space.  Very few teams will.

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Because the Spurs won't have anywhere close to 35% Max cap space.  Very few teams will.

That's the other problem. Most teams won't have cap space to sign Lebron UNLESS he took a huge discount.

Even the Lakers could actually have some trouble fitting in Lebron AND Free Agent X if the cap goes a little down (as projected), unless the Lakers decide to trade away BOTH Randle + Clarkson (and rumor has it that they are already likely to deal Randle at the deadline for a 1st round pick to also clear up some cap for the summer).

And I say that because Lebron is ONLY joining the Lakers if another max FA star joins him in LA, otherwise he's not going there alone to team up with Lonzo The Great lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I honestly can not tell when you are serious and when you are trolling

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
He sees Philly doing this to the Warriors and ponders...  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller