Author Topic: Will JD Davison see the floor?  (Read 2987 times)

Re: Will JD Davison see the floor?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 10:08:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Plenty of room on roster at the moment. Wouldn’t mind seeing him grab spot. Like his energy at both ends. Seems to play well with centers. Good lobber.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 10:11:21 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Plenty of room on roster at the moment. Wouldn’t mind seeing him grab spot. Like his energy at both ends. Seems to play well with centers. Good lobber.

Good passer and a true point. He needs to work on his shot and his turnovers.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 10:47:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Contemplating JD's role next season sent me down a rabbit hole...

all stats per 36 stats this past season in the g-league

Player A 19ppg 7.6ast 4.1TO 27% on 3.1 3PA 76% from FT 7.6rb 19 years old

Player B 14.4ppg 10ast 3.3TO 31% on 2.8 3PA 73% from FT 4.8rb 20 years old

Its probably obvious but player A is Scoot and player B is JD. In no way am I saying they are the same level of player or prospect but it shows the talent level of JD compared to a generation PG who is about to go top 3 in this draft and is only 1 year and a few months younger then JD and slightly bigger/longer.

For me this really highlights the value of "pre-drafting" prospects. Had JD stayed in college or gone to the G-league route (issues with sharing a back-court with Scoot not withstanding) I think he would have cracked the 25-35 range in this current draft.

What caught my eye is neither has a very good 3P%.  If you watch them play though, it is clear that Scoot is a different level of athlete.  Davison is a fine prospect though.  I don't think he breaks into the regular rotation this coming season but he is probably on the regular roster.  I do think he will be a solid back up NBA PG in the near future.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2023, 10:51:03 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Its probably obvious but player A is Scoot and player B is JD. In no way am I saying they are the same level of player or prospect but it shows the talent level of JD compared to a generation PG who is about to go top 3 in this draft and is only 1 year and a few months younger then JD and slightly bigger/longer.

For me this really highlights the value of "pre-drafting" prospects. Had JD stayed in college or gone to the G-league route (issues with sharing a back-court with Scoot not withstanding) I think he would have cracked the 25-35 range in this current draft.

What caught my eye is neither has a very good 3P%.  If you watch them play though, it is clear that Scoot is a different level of athlete.  Davison is a fine prospect though.  I don't think he breaks into the regular rotation this coming season but he is probably on the regular roster.  I do think he will be a solid back up NBA PG in the near future.

Am I the only one not sold on Scoot?

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2023, 10:58:15 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Why can't they be considered the same level of prospect? 

Scoot was a 5-star prospect out of GA, #2 PG in the class, #13 overall. 
Davison was a 5-star recruit out of AL and the #3 PG in the class, #17 overall.

I think JD can be just as good and also has a year in the G-League now as well.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2023, 11:27:56 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

Why can't they be considered the same level of prospect? 

Scoot was a 5-star prospect out of GA, #2 PG in the class, #13 overall. 
Davison was a 5-star recruit out of AL and the #3 PG in the class, #17 overall.

I think JD can be just as good and also has a year in the G-League now as well.

I’d be very excited if JD has shown a big improvement vs. last year. I hope he does well in summer league and gets good bench minutes when one of our guys inevitably go down during the 82-game grind.

- LilRip

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2023, 12:02:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

Am I the only one not sold on Scoot?

I saw some criticism of Scoot's G-League stats in particular his advanced stats which no show no improvement from his 1st season into his 2nd season. Some of them have actually gotten worse.

This has worried folks as to how much he may improve / how good is his work ethic.

Odd for such a young player to show a lack of improvement at that age level. Not a death sentence but unusual.