Author Topic: 76ers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 2 Game #1 5/1/23  (Read 22614 times)

Re: 76ers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 2 Game #1 5/1/23
« Reply #795 on: May 02, 2023, 02:28:54 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
I think Horford's defense gets far too much criticism. How many centers play better defense than Horford when left on an island against Trae Young or James Harden?

Very few. Horford is still one of the better defensive centers switching onto guards in the league.

The problem is twofold

(1) the expectations. Fans expecting your center to be a lockdown one-on-one defender on elite scoring ball-handling guards. Centers cannot do that. They are centers. Not guards. They are not quick enough and agile enough to do that. You want your C to do a reasonable job, not get beaten too easily and try to make sure he contests the shot which Al has done consistently.

(2) the coach not mixing up the defensive coverages. He has allowed the ball-handler far too much comfort in dictating the matchups he wants. Mazzula has to change up coverages more often. Deep coverage, aggressive switches, blitzing, double from the sides, switching with the wing defender coming high to take the ball-handler allowing the big to switch back onto easier matchup [like DEN often do with Jokic to avoid him being pummeled].

If you allow a top offensive player to get comfortable in knowing exactly what defensive coverage he will face, then give him an advantageous matchup, he will cook you. You have to find ways to give him different looks. Mazzula has very poor in this regard and it has cost the team hugely. Horford is taking far too much criticism for Mazzula's failures.

It's the second one. It's actually quite boring basketball to watch -- knowing every time down the floor they're going to find Horford and switch him onto Harden (or previously Trae). As they should! And no observable change in strategy or tactics from JM. It's a huge failure, and it's one that is staring them in the face. It's not like Harden invented something new last night, Trae was doing it all series.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #796 on: May 02, 2023, 02:40:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Not as reliable with open look shots either. Not typical with Horford.

Horford was 2nd in the entire league in 3PT% this season. 44.6% from three on 5 attempts a night.

Edit: By the way, I don't think Horford got anywhere near the recognition he deserved for finishing 2nd in the league in 3PT%. One would expect far more fanfare. It is barely mentioned. A fantastic achievement for any better nevermind your center.

I'm talking only about the playoffs. But idk, maybe the stats would prove me wrong. It just feels to me watching that when Horford has an open look these playoffs, he doesn't make them at a good clip. Or maybe I just notice when it's a big possession late in a game and he misses it. But thankfully he did knock some shots down in Game 6 against ATL.

I still believe in Horford. He'll figure it out. Or at least I hope he does. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #797 on: May 02, 2023, 02:43:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm still annoyed as well by the Maxey "non-charge". Like that's a textbook charge, they checked replay, and still said it was an "-and 1", like COME ON. Huge part of the game and potentially a 5-6 point swing either way. That was inexcusable. Obviously we did a lot of other poor things, but if they make the right and obvious call there, it's still 111-107 and maybe we put it away from there.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #798 on: May 02, 2023, 04:41:53 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
I'm still annoyed as well by the Maxey "non-charge". Like that's a textbook charge, they checked replay, and still said it was an "-and 1", like COME ON. Huge part of the game and potentially a 5-6 point swing either way. That was inexcusable. Obviously we did a lot of other poor things, but if they make the right and obvious call there, it's still 111-107 and maybe we put it away from there.

I think Smart moved a bit on his hip, hence it was a blocking foul

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)