Author Topic: 76ers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 2 Game #1 5/1/23  (Read 22605 times)

76ers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 2 Game #1 5/1/23
« on: April 30, 2023, 09:51:29 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Philadelphia 76ers (0-0)  at  Boston Celtics (0-0)
Monday, May 1, 2023
7:30 PM ET
Round 2, Game #1
TV:  TNT
Radio: WBZ-FM, WPEN
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Marcus Smart vs James Harden

Shooting Guard

vs
Derrick White vs Tyrese Maxey

Small Forward
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Tobias Harris

Poward Forward
vs
Jayson Tatum vs PJ Tucker

Center
vs
Al Horford vs Paul Reed

Celtics Reserves
Malcolm Brogdon
Grant Williams
Sam Hauser
Payton Pritchard
Luke Kornet
Blake Griffin
Mike Muscala
Robert Williams III

2 Way Players
JD Davison
Mfiondu Kabengele

Out/Injuries
Danilo Gallinari  (ACL)  out

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla

Sixers Reserves
Dewayne Dedmon
Montrezl Harrell
Danuel House, Jr
Furkan Korkmaz
Jalen McDaniels
De'Anthony Melton
Shake Milton
Georges Niang
Jaden Springer

2 Way Players
Mac McClung
Louis King

Out/Injuries

Joel Embiid (knee) doubtful

Head Coach
Doc Rivers

Game Notes
After finally dispatching the Hawks in 6 games, the Celtics now face the Philadelphia 76ers, who have been sitting at home since April 22, when they finished the sweep of the Brooklyn Nets.  The Celtics won 3 of the 4 games between them in the regular season.  The Celtics won the first 3 games by 9,7 and 3 points.  The 76ers won the final meeting by 2 points against a Celtics team missing Robert Williams and Jalen Brown.

This is the 22nd meeting in the playoffs between these two Atlantic Division Rivals.  Philadelphia last beat the Celtics in a playoff game in 1982.  This is the 3rd playoff meeting between these two teams in the last 6 years.  The Celtics beat the 76ers the Eastern Conference Semifinals in 2018 in a Gentlemen's Sweep.  They then swept the 76ers in the first round in the Bubble in 2020.

These two teams have played 463 regular season games with the Celtics winning 267 and the 76ers winning 196.  The Celtics are 154-56 all time in Boston in the regular season.  The Celtics and 76ers have played a total of 109 playoff games against each other.  Of those, the Celtics have won 62 while the 76ers have won 47.   The Celtics are 15-43 all time in playoff games against the 76ers played in Boston. 

The biggest question mark in this series is the status of 76ers center Joel Embiid.  He missed the final game of the 76ers sweep over the Nets in the first round after spraining his LCL in Game 3  of the first round.  At this time he is considered doubtful for this game.  However, he was seen taking jumpers after practice on Sunday so his status is truly a game time decision.  If he does play,  he will likely need to wear a knee brace and his ability to cut and move may be hindered.  For the Celtics only Danilo Gallinari is out. 

Another question mark in this series is which Celtics will show up?  When they are locked in and playing well,  they can beat any team in the league.  For instance, when they beat the fully healthy Bucks by 41.  However, when they come out unfocused and when they take the opponent for granted,  they can be beaten by any team in the league.  For instance, a loss to the Houston Rockets, or a blown 28 point lead against the Nets, or losing Game 5 to the Hawks at home.   Especially if Embiid is out,  hopefully the Celtics don't lose focus and play with less than their highest intensity. 

Key Matchups

vs
Marcus Smart vs James Harden
If Embiid plays, then Embiid vs Al Horford would be the key matchup,  but with Embiid out, Harden vs Smart becomes the key matchup.   Harden averaged 17.3 points, 5.5 rebounds, 8.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game against the Nets in the first round.  He shot 34.3% from the field and 42.4% from beyond the arc.  He averaged 25.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 9.0 assists and 1.3 steals per game.  He shot 47.5% from the field and 42.4% from beyond the arc in the 3 games against the Celtics this season.  It goes without saying that the  Celtics need to stay with him in this game, especially on the perimeter. 

vs
Derrick White vs Tyrese Maxey
Maxey came off the bench in two games against the Celtics this season and started two of the games.  He started the 4 games against the Nets in the first round, averaging 21.8 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.5 assists per game.   He shot 47.1% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc.  In the 4 games against Boston this season,  he averaged 10 points, 3 rebounds, and 1.8 assists.  He shot 35.4% from the field and 21.4% from beyond the arc.   The Celtics need to limit him in this game as they did in the regular season. 

Honorable Mention
Jaylen Brown vs Tobias Harris
Harris played very well in the 76ers first round matchup against the Nets, averaging 20.3 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game.  He shot 56.7% from the field and 57.1% from beyond the arc.  In 4 games against the Celtics this season, he averaged 11.5 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 1.3 steals per game.  He shot 43.1% from the field and 36.8% from beyond the arc.  Hopefully the Celtics can limit him in the playoffs as they did in the regular season. 

Keys to the Game

Defense -  Defense will always be key to winning every game, especially in the playoffs.  The Celtics are 10th in the playoffs with a 114.3 defensive rating while the Sixers are 2nd in the playoffs with a defensive rating of 102.5.  The Sixers are 13th in the playoffs, scoring 103.8 points per game.   The Celtics have to come into this game with the mindset that they need to play tough defense.  The Celtics have the players to play lock down defense  but they haven't been consistent and at times seem to forget how to play defense.  They have to get back to making defense their priority for every possession of every game because defense is even more important in the playoffs.

Rebound - Rebounding is second to defense as a key to winning.  The Celtics are 6th in the playoffs with 45.0 rebounds per game while the Sixers are 2nd with 48.5 rebounds per game.  It takes effort to get rebounds and the Celtics must go all out in their effort to beat the Sixers on the boards.  The Celtics need to keep the Sixers, who are first in the playoffs with 20 second chance points,  from getting extra points around the basket and they need to give themselves extra possessions by rebounding on the offensive end.  If the Celtics want to win this one, it is crucial that they go all out to crash the boards.   

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the team that plays harder and that wants this win more.  They have to be aggressive in diving for loose balls, in going to the basket, in getting stops on the defensive end, in closing out the passing lanes,  and in going after rebounds.  The Celtics must be the more aggressive team from start to finish. If they start out slowly,  they may not be able to catch up in this one.  They also can't allow the Sixers to come back if they get out to a lead because the Sixers are good at finishing games.   The Celtics need to play with the energy and aggressiveness from the opening tip to the final buzzer. 

Stay Focused - The Celtics need to stay focused on playing the game the right way and not on complaining about the refs' calls that they disagree with.  The Celtics have to stay focused on taking and making good shots and that includes going to the basket if their 3's aren't falling.  They have to be focused on making crisp passes and not get sloppy because the 76ers averaged 17.5 points off turnovers in the first round.  They have to keep their focus on playing hard and on playing the right way.

b]X-Factors [/b]
Coaching - Former Celtics coach Doc Rivers, who is in his third year as the Sixers coach,  is one of the top 15 coaches in NBA history.   Joe Mazzulla is in his first season as a head coach,  having been given the job just a couple weeks before the season.  The Celtics came out on top in the first round but did have a few growing pains along the way.  Doc has been criticized for his inability to get his teams out of the second round and he is going to throw everything he has at the Celtics and it will be up to Mazzulla to counter him. 

Home Game - The Celtics have been a good home team all season, in spite of dropping Game 5 in the first round at home to the Hawks.  The 76ers are a good road team, with a 25-16 record on the road in the regular season.  Teams strive to get home court advantage for a reason and the Celtics need to take advantage of having the crowd behind them and being on their home court.  Hopefully the 76ers are distracted by the travel, hotel stay, and hostile crowd. 

Officiating - Officiating is always an x-factor.  Every crew calls  the game differently.  Some call it tight and call every bit of contact while others allow more physical play. In the playoffs so far they have been allowing more physical play.   Some favor the home team while others call both sides evenly.  The Celtics have to adjust to the way the refs are calling the game and not allow the no calls and bad calls to affect their focus on playing the game.  They especially need to keep their poise and not complain to the refs on every call. 

Re: 76ers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 2 Game #1 5/1/23
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 09:55:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Go Celtics!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 09:56:26 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Donoghus   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!!

Beat the 76ers!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 10:06:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
TP FLCeltsFan!

12 to go. Hopefully just 11 after tomorrow
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 10:28:47 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I have C's in 7.

Predicting a Celtics Game 1 loss without Joel Embiid. This is one of their usual letdown games. Maxey and Harden will carry the load for them.

EDIT: After seeing the Bruins collapsing and blowing 3-1 series lead to lose in the opening rounds, definitely lowering my expectations of other Boston teams. Seeing how the C's been playing all season long plus postseason, putting the green tinted glasses and kool-aid away is appropriate. Will still root for the C's, but won't be surprised if they indeed lose Game 1 to an Embiid-less Sixers team. The TD Garden has not been kind nowadays.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 10:55:35 PM by SparzWizard »

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 10:55:57 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Ready to rock and roll.  Go Cs.  And a TP to you FLCeltsFan for another great playoff game thread.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 11:11:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I've been waiting for this one. I knew sooner or later we'd have to face the Sixers with Embiid and Harden. Let's do this! It's about time we've had another Celtics-Sixers playoff series!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 05:58:43 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I got Celtics in 6, maybe a sweep if Embiid is out
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 06:08:14 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Bruins blew it, so Celtics better step up. Step on the sixers throats

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 07:51:21 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Celtics come out tonight and set the tone. They didn't take Atlanta seriously and will want to stick it to the Sixers.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 08:19:22 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I guess we will start to know soon enough whether Embiid can play at all and if he does play, how much will be be limited, how much less than 100%.  A 90% Embiid who can play 30 min or more for example is still a really good player.  If it is more like 80% and he can only play 20 minutes, that is very different.

And I don't buy the worry that the Sixers may be better without him.  I have some fear that the Celtics could let down if there is no Embiid, but the Sixer's team is not better.

I think we can beat this team in any case.  I thought Harden was going to get healthy, get in shape, and come back this season as a real force to form a very scary 1-2 punch with Embiid.  But he never really did.  He has been good, but he has not been as good as the Sixers would need him to be.

We can't have any let downs.  It is that simple.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2023, 08:44:10 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I have C's in 7.

Predicting a Celtics Game 1 loss without Joel Embiid. This is one of their usual letdown games. Maxey and Harden will carry the load for them.

EDIT: After seeing the Bruins collapsing and blowing 3-1 series lead to lose in the opening rounds, definitely lowering my expectations of other Boston teams. Seeing how the C's been playing all season long plus postseason, putting the green tinted glasses and kool-aid away is appropriate. Will still root for the C's, but won't be surprised if they indeed lose Game 1 to an Embiid-less Sixers team. The TD Garden has not been kind nowadays.

i hate the bruins. choking trash. cost me tons of money. what garbage. i won't say what should happen to that coach.

DO NOT LET ME DOWN C's. DO NOT BE LIKE THE BRUINS!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 09:08:20 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Lets GO!!

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 11:04:55 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I wonder how the rotations will be, specifically, will we see more playing time from Grant.  Grant was actually statistically better than RWill in the ATL series.  NRTg 0.1 vs. -1.9, EFG% 94% vs. 88%, and -6 vs -9 overall +/-.  None of these are dramatically better.  Both have their NRTG and +/- pulled down as it went down whenever Horford was out.

My sense is that Tatum, Brown, Horford, Smart, White, and Brogdon are all going to get roughly the same minutes as in the ATL series.  They totaled about 200 minutes per game on average.  That leaves about 40 minutes to divide up between Hauser, RWill, and Grant (most likely).  RWill probably still gets his 20 min or so (his average was 23.8 min vs. ATL).  Both Grant and Hauser were fine vs. ATL.  I guess it comes down to whether you play 1 big more and Hauser gets minutes or you want more size/strength so you play Grant more.  Horford was the big on/off impact guy vs. ATL.

PHI had a similar approach playing their top 6, Embiid, Harden, Maxey, Harris, Tucker, and Melton all 25+ min, then filling in with Reed, McDaniels, and Niang.  Embiid only played 3 games though, so that skews things some.  They tend to play the most with a PF and a C.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
I dont see Hauser getting  a lot of mins against Philly I Could be wrong though.