Author Topic: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast  (Read 8677 times)

Re: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2018, 07:58:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I'm not seeing top 10, all-NBA, MVP candidate player in either of them --  at least not the way I see it in Ben Simmons or Embiid.  Granted, Embiid has a couple years on them, but neither JB or JT scream likely top 10 to me.  They do look like future all-stars (top 25) with the dream scenario being that they'll progress to league-elite players. But right now they are two very promising players who are getting fantastic experience -- and hopefully will adjust seamlessly when they go from being the 1-2 options to the 3-4 options next year.
So Jaylen Brown, who is 21, has two 30 pt games in the first 4 games of the playoffs and plays all-NBA level defense, and you don't see top 10 potential in him?

I guess my point comes down to usesless semantics.  I agree that there is potential in both Jaylen and Jayson to be top 10 players in the league.  My point is that I don't expect it -- at least not in the way I expect(ed) it after watching the second year of Giannis, Towns, Embiid, Simmons, Davis, Porzingus. 

JB has taken another leap so far in the playoffs, and took a big leap from Year 1 to Year 2, but he still seems to me to be one small rung below the elite young guys.  But it certainly wouldn't shock me if JB or JT become all-NBA some day. 

BTW -- I think Paul Pierce was a barely top 10 player (maybe 8 or 9) in his prime -- so I consider top 10 a very high bar.       

Re: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2018, 08:19:26 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I'm not seeing top 10, all-NBA, MVP candidate player in either of them --  at least not the way I see it in Ben Simmons or Embiid.  Granted, Embiid has a couple years on them, but neither JB or JT scream likely top 10 to me.  They do look like future all-stars (top 25) with the dream scenario being that they'll progress to league-elite players. But right now they are two very promising players who are getting fantastic experience -- and hopefully will adjust seamlessly when they go from being the 1-2 options to the 3-4 options next year.
So Jaylen Brown, who is 21, has two 30 pt games in the first 4 games of the playoffs and plays all-NBA level defense, and you don't see top 10 potential in him?

I guess my point comes down to usesless semantics.  I agree that there is potential in both Jaylen and Jayson to be top 10 players in the league.  My point is that I don't expect it -- at least not in the way I expect(ed) it after watching the second year of Giannis, Towns, Embiid, Simmons, Davis, Porzingus. 

JB has taken another leap so far in the playoffs, and took a big leap from Year 1 to Year 2, but he still seems to me to be one small rung below the elite young guys.  But it certainly wouldn't shock me if JB or JT become all-NBA some day. 

BTW -- I think Paul Pierce was a barely top 10 player (maybe 8 or 9) in his prime -- so I consider top 10 a very high bar.     

Is Jaylen the best defender on your list? Davis is better and maybe Giannis is better and Simmons and Embiid about the same. Porzingis and Towns are terrible defenders.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:29:59 PM by liam »