Author Topic: Former Celtic GM & Coach to enter the Hall of Fame  (Read 9699 times)

Re: Former Celtic GM & Coach to enter the Hall of Fame
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Argh, a curse upon your house.

'Pitino' should be a banned word on this forum, and all threads referencing him should be summarily locked.

As if living through those years wasn't bad enough.  Even as I college coach, I loathe him (although mainly due to him coaching for the "evil" basketball programs-Kentucky/Louisville...yuck!).

I need a shower now.
Paul Pierce came to Boston under Pitino.  Just saying.

Paul Pierce fell onto Pitino's lap.
True, but he also left Boston with 2 additional first round picks and the foundation (outside of Toine) of the early 2000's playoff runs (Pierce, Anderson, Battie, and Potapenko were all brought in by Pitino).  It also isn't his fault Wallace took the Denver pick too early and then blew it on Kedrick Brown (had he waited a year that could have been Amare or Nene or 2 years it could have been Melo, Wade or Bosh).

Getting Battie for Travis Knight was a good move (although signing Knight was a bad deal in the first place).

I can't get behind the moves for Anderson or Potapenko.  We could have had a core of Billups-Pierce-Marion (along with Antoine and Mercer or, in an ideal world, Tmac), and Pitino's impatience killed that.
Yeah, but he traded Mercer, Popeye Jones, and Schintzius for Eric Williams, Danny Fortson, and Denver's 1st (the one Wallace stupidly used in the 2001 draft and then took Brown).  He then traded Fortson and Barros for Robert Pack, Hot Rod Williams, and a 1st (which was stupidly used on Forte by Wallace).

So if Wallace was a bit better about using the draft picks, Boston could have had Walker, Pierce, Joe Johnson, Tony Parker (instead of Forte), and Amare, Melo, Wade or Bosh (instead of Kedrick Brown).  Pitino left the team in a pretty good position i.e. Pierce, Walker, Battie, Anderson, McCarty, and Potapenko as well as 2 additional first round picks, one of which was incredibly valuable (the Denver pick).
He coached and GMed the team into lottery Hell.  And I also have to say that is just about the only time I've ever seen someone use the words "Battie" "Potapenko" and "pretty good position" in the same sentence

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

'Pitino' should be a banned word on this forum, and all threads referencing him should be summarily locked.

As if living through those years wasn't bad enough.  Even as I college coach, I loathe him (although mainly due to him coaching for the "evil" basketball programs-Kentucky/Louisville...yuck!).

I need a shower now.

True, but he also left Boston with 2 additional first round picks and the foundation (outside of Toine) of the early 2000's playoff runs (Pierce, Anderson, Battie, and Potapenko were all brought in by Pitino).  It also isn't his fault Wallace took the Denver pick too early and then blew it on Kedrick Brown (had he waited a year that could have been Amare or Nene or 2 years it could have been Melo, Wade or Bosh).

Getting Battie for Travis Knight was a good move (although signing Knight was a bad deal in the first place).

I can't get behind the moves for Anderson or Potapenko.  We could have had a core of Billups-Pierce-Marion (along with Antoine and Mercer or, in an ideal world, Tmac), and Pitino's impatience killed that.
Yeah, but he traded Mercer, Popeye Jones, and Schintzius for Eric Williams, Danny Fortson, and Denver's 1st (the one Wallace stupidly used in the 2001 draft and then took Brown).  He then traded Fortson and Barros for Robert Pack, Hot Rod Williams, and a 1st (which was stupidly used on Forte by Wallace).

So if Wallace was a bit better about using the draft picks, Boston could have had Walker, Pierce, Joe Johnson, Tony Parker (instead of Forte), and Amare, Melo, Wade or Bosh (instead of Kedrick Brown).  Pitino left the team in a pretty good position i.e. Pierce, Walker, Battie, Anderson, McCarty, and Potapenko as well as 2 additional first round picks, one of which was incredibly valuable (the Denver pick).

These mean nothing. If we had late first-round picks and a second rounder every year from 2001-2005, we'd have Tony Parker, Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Luis Scola, David West, Mo Williams, Anderson Varejao, David Lee, Marcin Gortat, Monta Ellis, Ersan Ilyosova, Lou Williams, Jameer Nelson, Kevin Martin, JR Smith, Joe Johnson, Danny Granger, this list goes on...

you could almost always have picked a better player when you're in the late first round or second round
The Denver pick was not a late first round pick.  In fact it could have been the third pick in the draft which had Carmelo Anthony 3rd, Chris Bosh 4th, and Dwayne Wade 5th.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

I need a shower now.

These mean nothing. If we had late first-round picks and a second rounder every year from 2001-2005, we'd have Tony Parker, Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Luis Scola, David West, Mo Williams, Anderson Varejao, David Lee, Marcin Gortat, Monta Ellis, Ersan Ilyosova, Lou Williams, Jameer Nelson, Kevin Martin, JR Smith, Joe Johnson, Danny Granger, this list goes on...

you could almost always have picked a better player when you're in the late first round or second round
The Denver pick was not a late first round pick.  In fact it could have been the third pick in the draft which had Carmelo Anthony 3rd, Chris Bosh 4th, and Dwayne Wade 5th.

There's always the should-coulda-wouldas. Unfortunately, hindsight is 20-20 (i hate this cliche) and we screwed it up.

Had we picked in the top 5, we probably would've gone with Darko anyways ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I need a shower now.

There's always the should-coulda-wouldas. Unfortunately, hindsight is 20-20 (i hate this cliche) and we screwed it up.

Had we picked in the top 5, we probably would've gone with Darko anyways ;D
It isn't exactly hindsight.  A ton of people were questioning why the Celtics chose the pick in 2001 when the team already had 10 and 21.  There was no reason at all to take Denver's pick which was 11 in that very weak draft (which was projected at the time).  Now sure, no one knew that the pick would have been top 5 the next year or top 3 the year after, but it was a horrible choice to take that pick when Wallace did, and it was questioned heavily at the time.

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Pitino's disrespect of Red Auerbach is unforgiveable.  No matter how much you guys want to rationalize his other accomplishments slapping Red in the face like he did should never be forgotten or forgiven.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Is it me or are there too many coaches in the Hall of Fame?

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Is it me or are there too many coaches in the Hall of Fame?
well is the basketball hall of fame, thus you are going to get all of those college coaches that win a lot of games and a lot of titles and do so for 40 years (or whatever).

There really should just be a NBA HOF and in that there would probably be 5 or so coaches (a lot of which also played in the NBA).

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I need a shower now.

Such good position, the first thing Ainge had to do was blow it up.

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

I need a shower now.

wallace wanted tony parker, red auerbach overrode it and got forte

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I need a shower now.

Such good position, the first thing Ainge had to do was blow it up.
that was because Wallace didn't utilize it correctly.

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I need a shower now.

wallace wanted tony parker, red auerbach overrode it and got forte
I recall that.  I just have no idea why nor why Red still had that kind of sway.