Author Topic: Is it time to let, "Havlicek Stole The Ball", fade into history?  (Read 12164 times)

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Well folks, it's both Hondo's 70th birthday and nearly the 45th anniversary of the steal heard around the world.

But now, I'm seeing it a bit differently. I wasn't even born when it happened but I was lucky enough to be around when Havlicek, Cowens, Silas, and JoJo had their memorable seasons together during the 70s run. Nonetheless, that moment in time is reiterated, again and again, non-stop, pretty much overshadowing everything except for perhaps that vague *Willis Reed* moment back in the 1970 finals.

And likewise, as predicted some years ago, it's actually a more important moment in sports history than even the Red Sox winning the title in '04, since they repeated in a short time, and thus, diminished the closure of a 86 year drought. Yes, two titles in a decade can have that effect in terms of retrospect.

Ok, with all the above stated, is it time to let *the Steal* go and now, canonized a newer moment in NBA history for future generations?

Re: Is it time to let, "Havlicek Stole The Ball", fade into history?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hell NO!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't understand the reasoning.  There are plenty of great moments in NBA history, and that's one of the immediately recognizable ones.  However, I don't think it overshadows other great moments.  Rather, it stands beside them.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't think that play is overshadowing anything.  It's a top 10 moment in league history, but it's really more famous as a Johnny Most call than as a visual image.  The most vivid single image from the Celtics has gotta be Bird's steal.  And unless you count the logo or something the #1 most prominent moment in NBA history has got to be Jordan's last (as a Bull) shot. 

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 05:02:06 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nope.  Love that call.  Would hate to see them replace it with a Kobe moment.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:12:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Uh, no.

I am at an absolute loss why a moment like this should EVER give way to another "canonized" moment.

This thread absolutely escapes me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Well folks, it's both Hondo's 70th birthday and nearly the 45th anniversary of the steal heard around the world.

But now, I'm seeing it a bit differently. I wasn't even born when it happened but I was lucky enough to be around when Havlicek, Cowens, Silas, and JoJo had their memorable seasons together during the 70s run. Nonetheless, that moment in time is reiterated, again and again, non-stop, pretty much overshadowing everything except for perhaps that vague *Willis Reed* moment back in the 1970 finals.

And likewise, as predicted some years ago, it's actually a more important moment in sports history than even the Red Sox winning the title in '04, since they repeated in a short time, and thus, diminished the closure of a 86 year drought. Yes, two titles in a decade can have that effect in terms of retrospect.

Ok, with all the above stated, is it time to let *the Steal* go and now, canonized a newer moment in NBA history for future generations?

Like maybe, if LeBron made a layup where he took fewer than 3 steps, we should canonize that moment?

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Well before going crazy on the idea of possibly not using this same clip over and over and over.... maybe just use it less and let some other moments have their, uh... moment.

Any other suggestions? Preferably Celtic's relate.  I'll try to think of some.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I don't understand how a Celtic's "fan" could EVER suggest this?!  After reading the original post I'm literally dumbfounded...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
is it time to let *the Steal* go and now, canonized a newer moment in NBA history for future generations?

And what would this new moment be?...LeBron displayed his ignorance of the game and its rich history when he said that he wants to change his jersey number as a tribute to MJ while ignoring the fact that the man with the most rings wore number 6(his jersey no. next year)....I think the NBA needs to do more to promote the great players of the eras gone by....History needs to be preserved....not replaced.....That play should forever remain part of our history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMPSYtQeIQ

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

WHAT?!?!?!?!  hell to the no! (no disrespect to u...just hate the idea)

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
My impression of the responses is that that Steal is equivalent to the first shots at Lexington Green, April 19 1775, now 240 years ago.

If so, then there's really no other moment. I don't see either a Ticonderoga, Saratoga, Delaware Crossing, or Yorktown to replace the legendary steal.

I recommend that then, Celticsblog contacts National Archives and put the steal in there along with other historical documents like Lee's surrender to Grant at Appomattox.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
My impression of the responses is that that Steal is equivalent to the first shots at Lexington Green, April 19 1775, now 240 years ago.

If so, then there's really no other moment. I don't see either a Ticonderoga, Saratoga, Delaware Crossing, or Yorktown to replace the legendary steal.

I recommend that then, Celticsblog contacts National Archives and put the steal in there along with other historical documents like Lee's surrender to Grant at Appomattox.

Was this snarky post the point of starting this thread? Kind of trollish IMO.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

ok now im dumbfounded

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Was this snarky post the point of starting this thread? Kind of trollish IMO.

Perhaps it was secretly done to allow this moving moment where I noticed you and CoachBo agreeing on something Celts-related, Tim. Warms my heart indeed.

:D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.