Author Topic: Nice piece on "most hated Celtics" Rick Fox and Brian Shaw  (Read 10119 times)

Nice piece on "most hated Celtics" Rick Fox and Brian Shaw
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:10 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Personally I can't stand either, I don't necessarily hate them, but I sure as heck don't like them. Anyway I thought this was quite nicely done.

http://www.celticslife.com/2009/11/who-do-you-hate-more.html

Re: Nice piece on "most hated Celtics" Rick Fox and Brian Shaw
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:31:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I actually really liked both guys when they played here and never really hated them for playing with the Lakers. They were jettisoned from the Celtics, after all, and if they happened to have success with the Lakers after the C's maybe wrongly determined they didn't need them anymore, I don't harbour ill feelings towards them for that.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I actually really liked both guys when they played here and never really hated them for playing with the Lakers. They were jettisoned from the Celtics, after all, and if they happened to have success with the Lakers after the C's maybe wrongly determined they didn't need them anymore, I don't harbour ill feelings towards them for that.

Also it's not like the Celtics were really competing with the Lakers when Fox and Shaw got their rings, no reason to really hate them for that.

How about this, what if the Lakers sign Gerald Green or Tony Allen (whenever he is finally waived), and then they finally put it together and become All Star caliber players but for the Lakers.  If you are a Tony or Gerald supporter, would you hate them then?  Or if you already hate Tony or Gerald, would you hate them more?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I was young then, but wasn't it Pitino who got rid of both of those guys?  Well chose not to resign them?
do it

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The only time I really didn't like Shaw was when he played in Italy rookie year (it was Italy, right?).  Shaw was a better player after he left the C's.

Never had a problem with Fox.  Who could blame him for going to LA?
Yup

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I was young then, but wasn't it Pitino who got rid of both of those guys?  Well chose not to resign them?

Shaw was gone (1992) long before Pitino arrived (1997)

Fox's first year with the Lakers was Pitino's first with the C's.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hated Fox even when he was a Celtic. I remember booing when he broke Bird's record.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Always hated Rick Fox. Remember a few years back he went after somebody on the way off the court. Was it Doug Christie? Anyway am not a violent person; but he is such an jerk I remember almost being glad Christie landed a few.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:42:22 PM by gar »

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
both seem like nice guys actually
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43:55 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Always hated Rick Fox. Remember a few years back he went after somebody on the way off the court. Was it Doug Christie? Anyway am not a violent person; but he is such an jerk I remember almost being glad Christie landed a few.

Haha glad you liked it, me too- scroll down a bit in the article- Christie punching him in the face is in there, enjoy.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 11:09:26 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I never liked Fox because he was a dirty player, a drama queen, and a supreme flopper.  I remember in the infamous Lakers-Kings series, game 6, AKA the most suspect officiating in NBA history, Rick "Cat Scratch Fever" Fox getting tangled up with Hedo Turkoglu.  When Turkoglu got up, he had 3 bloody red claw marks on his back from where Fox scratched him.

Brian Shaw I bear no ill will, or at least no more than I do anyone who was a part of the Lakers 2000-2002.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I guess I'm alone on this, but I always liked Fox. He played hard when he was on the team and being a Celtic meant something to him (the same way it meant something to Antoine). I remember one year early in his career when he was working his butt off and the team in general was tanking. He made some statements about not re-signing with the team if they weren't interested in winning and, lo and behold, we were competitive again (for a few games at least). He wanted to win, and he wanted to win as a Celtic.

And then Pitino renounced him and others so he could begin to re-make the team by signing Travis Knight.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like Fox. Was good in Oz too.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 12:25:39 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I liked them both.  Fox wasn't the most beautifully skilled player to watch, but he was a great competitor who maximized his talent.  What's not to like about that?

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 12:26:23 AM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
Both were subs. Neither really had what it takes. Fox played the game with all his heart and soul to compensate for his nshortcomings which were basically that he stunk. He was praised for being such a 'team' player,' such an important piece, and he started to overdo it. He was definitely dirty. while many loved him in Boston, I hated his play hustle-hustle. He thought too much of himself and received way too much attention for a guy who barely was an NBA player. He could not rebound, drive to the hoop, he had to hang outside and play that hustle defense to survive. He did.

Brian Shaw was dead when the Lakers picked him up. He lived 9 lives with them, didn't he? I hated him too because he really stunk too. I hate anything that is Lakers.

What about Bob Mac Adoo? Anybody hate him here. He played for the C's as well.