Author Topic: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread  (Read 61503 times)

Re: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread
« Reply #585 on: January 01, 2024, 09:03:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
In the new era of things, the reality is players want to protect themselves and also set themselves up nicely for good paydays and opportunities. Can't fault anyone for that. For most of these players who aspire to be in the NFL Draft, or maybe want to transfer to another high-profile college, the last thing they want to do is risk major injury in a bowl game that really doesn't do anything for them and only benefits the school and conference. That's just the truth. It's a business at the end of the day and players are starting to realize that and are more empowered than before. Does anyone really look at a player and think "WOW they won the Pop Tart Bowl!". Obviously if it's a playoff game like the Rose Bowl that's different.

Most of the people playing these bowl games are players who are at the school for another year, "on the bubble" so they want to increase their stock, or maybe are seniors who aren't planning on entering the NFL so they want to just enjoy their final NCAAF game period.

People can get mad at today's generation but the reality is that's a large population. It's a movement per say. If anything, maybe the NCAAF and even NFL (more on the drafting side) should take more steps to try and increase buzz and introduce less risk for players who play in the bowl games. Otherwise, most of these bowl games are honestly gonna become pointless. I agree with @johnnygreen, I didn't really watch the LSU game today because no Jayden Daniels, so what's really the point for a neutral fan? But I don't blame Daniels either. He's a projected Top-10 pick, why risk a potential major injury in a bowl game now.

I certainly don’t blame the players going pro for sitting out. I guess the bigger newer issues is players entering the transfer portal for the second time and their third team seems a bit sillier to me. I don’t think that really benefits the college kids to do in most cases either.

« Reply #586 on: January 01, 2024, 09:07:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
They are treating it like they just won a Super Bowl. Way too much hype for a semifinal game.

Part of that may be because it was the Rose Bowl?  It still gets that nod to tradition, perhaps?

Emotion too.  You’re trailing in the 4th quarter and climb back to force OT and win in dramatic fashion. Plus you just beat Saban & Bama to head to the national title game.

That’ll light a fire under you.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #587 on: January 01, 2024, 09:14:34 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
They are treating it like they just won a Super Bowl. Way too much hype for a semifinal game.

Part of that may be because it was the Rose Bowl?  It still gets that nod to tradition, perhaps?

Emotion too.  You’re trailing in the 4th quarter and climb back to force OT and win in dramatic fashion. Plus you just beat Saban & Bama to head to the national title game.

That’ll light a fire under you.

Especially after a lot of these players had experienced consecutive losses in the semifinals the prior two years.

« Reply #588 on: January 01, 2024, 09:58:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
Washington-Texas entertaining so far.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #589 on: January 01, 2024, 10:29:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Washington is a lot of fun to watch. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #590 on: January 01, 2024, 11:34:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
So does Texas end up getting blown out in 2nd half, or do they right the ship?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #591 on: January 01, 2024, 11:42:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
Bama and Georgia are the two best teams in the country. We already watched the national championship.
Michigan has been the best team all season long.  Consistently good every game. Played mostly to their strengths, well coached, and top level talent (not as deep as Georgia, but starters all very good).  I thought they'd win by 2 scores, but they did win.  I expect them toneasily beat UW or UT. Think it will look a lot like last years game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #592 on: January 01, 2024, 11:49:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Bama and Georgia are the two best teams in the country. We already watched the national championship.
Michigan has been the best team all season long.  Consistently good every game. Played mostly to their strengths, well coached, and top level talent (not as deep as Georgia, but starters all very good).  I thought they'd win by 2 scores, but they did win.  I expect them toneasily beat UW or UT. Think it will look a lot like last years game.

I think the best team is still Georgia, but we'll never know.  To date, Michigan has had the best season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #593 on: January 02, 2024, 12:40:43 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Jeez, Washington is trying like hell to set up one of the flukiest comebacks ever.

I don't understand why they just didn't take a knee.  Or run the ball on 3rd down before the FG.  Coaching jeopardized a win.

« Reply #594 on: January 02, 2024, 12:47:39 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
I can't believe that Washington running back stayed on the ground on that third down, which stopped the clock. Washington would have been able to run the clock down to 19 or so seconds. Have one of the lineman carry you off the field.

« Reply #595 on: January 02, 2024, 12:47:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Washington players all look like they know they are about to lose

« Reply #596 on: January 02, 2024, 12:52:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Wow.  They squeezed every bit of drama out of that one.

Great play by the DB.

« Reply #597 on: January 02, 2024, 12:53:24 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
Two great games tonight. Both came down to the last play. Hopefully the National Title game comes close to the caliber of these two games.

« Reply #598 on: January 02, 2024, 10:47:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Penix is going to be a very interesting prospect. I could see him going as high as #10 in the draft... or as low as the early 2nd round (in the 30s). Not sure where he will go. The belief now is Daniels will definitely be a Top-10 pick but no one has any clue about Penix.

I'm pretty certain though that McCarthy is going in the 2nd round.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #599 on: January 02, 2024, 11:01:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I've followed Penix most of this season, and have always been super impressed.  I think he is going to shine as the best NFL QB from this 2024 draft. Hope the Pats draft him, maybe trading back to around 7, as I doubt he lasts beyond that.  Pick up an extra 2nd round pick in the process, this draft is deep in wide receivers.

The first knock on him are the knee surgeries, but man he can still gallop when needed. He has such a good arm, and is very decisive.

The other knock on him being 24? To me, that is an asset, not a liability.  He is more mature, more ready to step in. You will have him under control for 5 years in a rookie contract during which he can contribute immediately.   This is the most confident I have felt making prediction on QB since I saw Joe Montana wipe out the Longhorns in the Cotton Bowl. Dude just has got "it".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 02:43:47 PM by footey »