Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 370129 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1680 on: January 04, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Seems like Butler is a pain where ever he goes..i would pass on him if i own a team

Philadelphia has no other choice than fully embrace the wishes of Butler or else their deal for him ends up being catastrophic for them. Their assets are drying up and Simmons + Embiid alone won't get it done (see last year's playoffs).

Butler is a bit of a jerk, but he knows he can be, because there's a big market for him this summer. He would have multiple options in New York and LA.

« Reply #1681 on: January 04, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
2018 Ricky davis still stat padding to the big 3 season scoring title on the team tied for worst record
He can still dunk

« Reply #1682 on: January 04, 2019, 07:45:43 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
If I were the Sixers, I'd dupe some idiot GMs into thinking that Simmons is a great player and trade him there. I'd also find a way to get value for that cancer Butler.

Build around Embiid, get more shooting around him, get some playmaking to replace Simmons.

With people calling Jaylen Brown "basically Jeff Green", at what point does Ben Simmons become "bigger Evan Turner"?

« Reply #1683 on: January 04, 2019, 07:48:39 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
If I were the Sixers, I'd dupe some idiot GMs into thinking that Simmons is a great player and trade him there. I'd also find a way to get value for that cancer Butler.

Build around Embiid, get more shooting around him, get some playmaking to replace Simmons.

With people calling Jaylen Brown "basically Jeff Green", at what point does Ben Simmons become "bigger Evan Turner"?

Hey, do not compare LOGO to that guy!

« Reply #1684 on: January 04, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I liked Evan Turner when he lead the second unit here.

Really don't like that he always gets negative references. And he can't help that Portland gave him that contract.

« Reply #1685 on: January 04, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford

I liked Evan Turner when he lead the second unit here.

Really don't like that he always gets negative references. And he can't help that Portland gave him that contract.

Hey I loved the guy here too. For someone down in the dumps (his car even broke down in the middle of the highway after his 6ers days) to work himself to a contract like that, having gone through everything he has, is great. And you're definitely right to point that out.

But hard to reproduce the same stigma attached to Jeff Green without evoking an Evan Turner level - to be quite honest - draft bust (again, probably unwarranted, because he didn't choose to go 5th overall in a draft). Evan and Ben Simmons are even similar in play style - can't shoot, unique in their ability to play point guard.

« Reply #1686 on: January 04, 2019, 10:23:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What a dysfunctional situation. All 3 players care more about themselves than they do about winning. They're too immature to put aside their egos for the greater good.

I can't wait until they overpay Butler this summer.

I think Embiid has been immature to go to the media about his coaches and the gameplan, but I think he is a team player that wants to win and just believes he knows what they need to do to win.
Are we sure Brett Brown should be coaching that team?  Guy seems like a hack to me.  The complaints from both Embiid and Butler seemed warranted.  Typically guys like Brett don't last post tank-job and honestly, while it was admirable as hell that Tatum, Jaylen, Rozier, Horford and the rest played as well as they did, Brett Brown probably should have been fired for getting owned in the 2nd round like that.  Philly definitely had the talent to win that series and it wasn't even close.  They showed up unprepared and got kicked in the teeth.  Maybe they shouldn't have celebrated their 1st round victory like a championship parade.  https://youtu.be/iNn3yWclCqw?t=73

Might be time they go out and get themselves a big-boy coach.   If they fail to make it to the Conference Finals this year despite having 3 all-star level players, I'd be shocked to see Brett coaching the team next season.
You're seriously overrating the Sixers playoff chances last season.  Young, inexperienced teams generally don't go far in the playoffs especially when their star player is recovering from an injury and having to where a face mask which he hated.  Winning in the 1st round was big for them and 3 of their 4 losses to us were close.  We had some young players but we also had considerable playoff experience both from players and coaches.  Coaches have to learn how to win in the playoffs just like players do. 

The Sixers replaced Hinkie with a big-boy GM.  How'd that work out for them?  Coach Brown does need to get their Big 3 better integrated but even if that happens they are not a favorite for the conference finals.  After their Big 3 and Redick, they don't have any playoff caliber players.
I mean... Boston was young and inexperienced too, but they had a game plan and came out aggressive.  Philly looked emotionally deflated and unprepared. Some of that is their inexperience and some of that might be having a rebuild coach instead of a wartime coach.  Fair point about Embiid being injured, though.  You can't give Boston enough credit for overachieving like they did in the playoffs last year... Tatum was phenomenal... but I do think Philly had more talent than they showed in that series.
Definitely not taking away from what we did but we had Horford and his playoff experience.  Smart had 22 games of playoff experience going into last years playoffs.  We had an experienced playoff coach.   We also had home court.  The Sixers are probably the team that needs home court in the playoffs the most.  The Sixers talent had flaws which we had the talent with proper skillset and coaching to expose. 

The Sixers undefeated run at the end of season got them overhyped and really did them a disservice.  They were projected to win 38-40 games going into the season.  52 wins and a 1st round playoff series win was definitely an overachievement.   
Obviously Stevens had more experience than Brown and Horford definitely had a lot of playoff experience at 99 games before the series, but that was barely ahead of Redick's 93.  Belinelli was next on either team with 53 games and like Baynes he had a championship ring (they were the only 2 with them).  Ilyasova had 28 playoff games before that series.  Not to mention Amir Johnson and his 47 games and Bayless and his 29 games were on their bench (and both even played some in the series). It isn't like Philly was devoid of veterans.  In fact, outside of the coach they had near equal experience.  I mean someone like Morris who has been around awhile only had 4 playoff games before last season (so he had 11 before the Sixers series started).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1687 on: January 04, 2019, 10:42:05 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
What a dysfunctional situation. All 3 players care more about themselves than they do about winning. They're too immature to put aside their egos for the greater good.

I can't wait until they overpay Butler this summer.

I think Embiid has been immature to go to the media about his coaches and the gameplan, but I think he is a team player that wants to win and just believes he knows what they need to do to win.
Are we sure Brett Brown should be coaching that team?  Guy seems like a hack to me.  The complaints from both Embiid and Butler seemed warranted.  Typically guys like Brett don't last post tank-job and honestly, while it was admirable as hell that Tatum, Jaylen, Rozier, Horford and the rest played as well as they did, Brett Brown probably should have been fired for getting owned in the 2nd round like that.  Philly definitely had the talent to win that series and it wasn't even close.  They showed up unprepared and got kicked in the teeth.  Maybe they shouldn't have celebrated their 1st round victory like a championship parade.  https://youtu.be/iNn3yWclCqw?t=73

Might be time they go out and get themselves a big-boy coach.   If they fail to make it to the Conference Finals this year despite having 3 all-star level players, I'd be shocked to see Brett coaching the team next season.
You're seriously overrating the Sixers playoff chances last season.  Young, inexperienced teams generally don't go far in the playoffs especially when their star player is recovering from an injury and having to where a face mask which he hated.  Winning in the 1st round was big for them and 3 of their 4 losses to us were close.  We had some young players but we also had considerable playoff experience both from players and coaches.  Coaches have to learn how to win in the playoffs just like players do. 

The Sixers replaced Hinkie with a big-boy GM.  How'd that work out for them?  Coach Brown does need to get their Big 3 better integrated but even if that happens they are not a favorite for the conference finals.  After their Big 3 and Redick, they don't have any playoff caliber players.
I mean... Boston was young and inexperienced too, but they had a game plan and came out aggressive.  Philly looked emotionally deflated and unprepared. Some of that is their inexperience and some of that might be having a rebuild coach instead of a wartime coach.  Fair point about Embiid being injured, though.  You can't give Boston enough credit for overachieving like they did in the playoffs last year... Tatum was phenomenal... but I do think Philly had more talent than they showed in that series.
Definitely not taking away from what we did but we had Horford and his playoff experience.  Smart had 22 games of playoff experience going into last years playoffs.  We had an experienced playoff coach.   We also had home court.  The Sixers are probably the team that needs home court in the playoffs the most.  The Sixers talent had flaws which we had the talent with proper skillset and coaching to expose. 

The Sixers undefeated run at the end of season got them overhyped and really did them a disservice.  They were projected to win 38-40 games going into the season.  52 wins and a 1st round playoff series win was definitely an overachievement.   
Obviously Stevens had more experience than Brown and Horford definitely had a lot of playoff experience at 99 games before the series, but that was barely ahead of Redick's 93.  Belinelli was next on either team with 53 games and like Baynes he had a championship ring (they were the only 2 with them).  Ilyasova had 28 playoff games before that series.  Not to mention Amir Johnson and his 47 games and Bayless and his 29 games were on their bench (and both even played some in the series). It isn't like Philly was devoid of veterans.  In fact, outside of the coach they had near equal experience.  I mean someone like Morris who has been around awhile only had 4 playoff games before last season (so he had 11 before the Sixers series started).
Embiid, Simmons, Saric and Covington had none. Amir played 17 total minutes over 3 games.  Didn't even realize Bayless got in for 2 minutes in 1 game.   

« Reply #1688 on: January 04, 2019, 11:11:41 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Size is everything in basketball. Simmons isn't just bigger. He's 6'10''!! That's unprecedented for the PG position.

I'm tired of hearing about how it's impossible to be an elite player in today's NBA without being a good shooter. I don't buy it for a second. Look what Giannis is doing this season with the Bucks. Had Simmons entered the league (let's say) 5 years earlier than he did, I bet people would have been comparing him to LeBron and Magic. Instead, he enters the league during this 3-point mania and people compare him to Evan Turner.

« Reply #1689 on: January 04, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Size is everything in basketball. Simmons isn't just bigger. He's 6'10''!! That's unprecedented for the PG position.

I'm tired of hearing about how it's impossible to be an elite player in today's NBA without being a good shooter. I don't buy it for a second. Look what Giannis is doing this season with the Bucks. Had Simmons entered the league (let's say) 5 years earlier than he did, I bet people would have been comparing him to LeBron and Magic. Instead, he enters the league during this 3-point mania and people compare him to Evan Turner.
Man, the Simmons to Giannis comparison is incredibly lazy. Giannis hovers between 25-30% from 3. So he's undoubtedly a bad 3 point shooter. Ben Simmons has never ever made a single 3 in his career. Not to mention the gaping difference in their free throw shooting, alongside Giannis being perhaps the most unstoppable athlete in the league. 

Heck, Simmons makes Manute Bol look like Curry. Ben Simmons was getting foolish comparisons to Magic and LBJ based on the premise that his shooting would improve. It hasn't, and the comparisons have disappeared
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1690 on: January 04, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Man, the Simmons to Giannis comparison is incredibly lazy. Giannis hovers between 25-30% from 3. So he's undoubtedly a bad 3 point shooter. Ben Simmons has never ever made a single 3 in his career. Not to mention the gaping difference in their free throw shooting, alongside Giannis being perhaps the most unstoppable athlete in the league. 

Heck, Simmons makes Manute Bol look like Curry. Ben Simmons was getting foolish comparisons to Magic and LBJ based on the premise that his shooting would improve. It hasn't, and the comparisons have disappeared
More like 15.2% this season (26.9% for his career). Regardless, the point is that defenders don't respect his shot. He has less room to operate as a slasher cause defenders dare him to shoot the ball. That's exactly what's happening with Simmons as well.

The way I see it, they both have the same strengths and the same weaknesses:

- they are both terrible shooters
- they are both elite slashers
- they both have excellent court vision (Simmons is even better than Giannis in that regard)
- very good ball handlers (especially given their size)
- very good rebounders
- very good defenders
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:41:09 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #1691 on: January 04, 2019, 11:50:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I hate to say this, because I like Brett  Brown and Simmons (and Embiid), but watching the Sixers implode is soooooooooo nice.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1692 on: January 04, 2019, 11:58:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

More like 15.2% this season (26.9% for his career). Regardless, the point is that defenders don't respect his shot. He has less room to operate as a slasher cause defenders dare him to shoot the ball. That's exactly what's happening with Simmons as well.

- they both have excellent court vision (Simmons is even better than Giannis in that regard)
- very good rebounders
- very good defenders
You're right that defenders don't respect either of their shots, but it doesn't change the fact that Giannis is averaging about 10 more PPG, because he's absolutely elite inside and is almost physically impossible to defend.

Just because they're similar doesn't mean they're even close to being similarly effective. It's like if someone tried to compare Nurkic to Jokic, as they have similar strengths and weaknesses:

- very good rebounders
- good passing big men
- slow laterally
- strong finishers inside
- average threats from mid-range and beyond
- weak defensively

Nurkic is still obviously a lesser player, and is more hindered by his weaknesses much the same way Simmons is. Simmons is much more a giant Rondo (without the same spirit) than he is anything near Magic or LeBron
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1693 on: January 05, 2019, 12:20:08 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

- very good rebounders
- very good defenders
You're right that defenders don't respect either of their shots, but it doesn't change the fact that Giannis is averaging about 10 more PPG, because he's absolutely elite inside and is almost physically impossible to defend.

Just because they're similar doesn't mean they're even close to being similarly effective. It's like if someone tried to compare Nurkic to Jokic, as they have similar strengths and weaknesses:

- very good rebounders
- good passing big men
- slow laterally
- strong finishers inside
- average threats from mid-range and beyond
- weak defensively

Nurkic is still obviously a lesser player, and is more hindered by his weaknesses much the same way Simmons is. Simmons is much more a giant Rondo (without the same spirit) than he is anything near Magic or LeBron

Huh? Nurkic has scored 3 3-pointers during his entire NBA career. That's three. Compare that to Jokic's number who has scored 223!
They are both good passing big men you say. Thing is, Jokic is an elite passer whereas Nurkic is nowhere near that level. I would argue he's just an above average passer.

Giannis is averaging about 10 points per game more cause he is the go-to guy for the Bucks. Simmons is playing 3rd fiddle to Embiid and Butler. Not to mention the fact that the Bucks have surrounded Giannis with 4 shooters in order to maximize his effectiveness in the paint. The Sixers have one knock down shooter (Redick) and that's about it. Remember last season when the Sixers signed Belinelli + Ilyasova? That's when they started playing their best basketball!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:30:53 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #1694 on: January 05, 2019, 01:29:45 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
Giannis is averaging about 10 points per game more cause he is the go-to guy for the Bucks. Simmons is playing 3rd fiddle to Embiid and Butler. Not to mention the fact that the Bucks have surrounded Giannis with 4 shooters in order to maximize his effectiveness in the paint. The Sixers have one knock down shooter (Redick) and that's about it. Remember last season when the Sixers signed Belinelli + Ilyasova? That's when they started playing their best basketball!

This is a good point. Simmons with shooters would be niiiice.

I thought the 6ers were basically a mini-Rockets team with Hinkie at the helm. I'm surprised their cap situation is so dire that they can't find a shooter.