Author Topic: Michael Jordan is a Jerk  (Read 32694 times)

Re: Michael Jordan is a Jerk
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  I have lived in Wilmington, NC, Michael Jordan's home town for the past 12 years.  There are no statues of him here, no schools or streets or parks baring his name because he has always treated this community and it's people poorly.

We celebrate our sports celebrities here, just not Jordan nearly as much as people probably think. 

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Typical MJ.  The guy has always been a real ****, gambler, drinker, serial cheater, etc.  He is and has always been a terrible human being.  He puts Tiger Woods to shame.

This should not surprise anyone.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »

Kiorrik

lol dat Chamillionaire story neva gets old the comments made it funnier its plenty of stories of Jordan ignoring kids who asked for autographs, smokin weed nd cussin out people who washed his cars, nd other rude things. He doesnt even have pictures wit his sons his hall of fame speech was so arrogant i think it was Bill Simmons who said it but Nike did a great job covering his rude arrogant behavior cuz he barely talked in his commercials rofl
I've never heard about MJ smoking weed until now.
I really don't know what the big deal about smoking weed is anyway.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 12:19:44 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
my favorite part is how chamillionaire mentioned the celtics being classy

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
lol dat Chamillionaire story neva gets old the comments made it funnier its plenty of stories of Jordan ignoring kids who asked for autographs, smokin weed nd cussin out people who washed his cars, nd other rude things. He doesnt even have pictures wit his sons his hall of fame speech was so arrogant i think it was Bill Simmons who said it but Nike did a great job covering his rude arrogant behavior cuz he barely talked in his commercials rofl
I've never heard about MJ smoking weed until now.
I really don't know what the big deal about smoking weed is anyway.
It's not a big deal at all, but if he does I'm still surprised we havn't heard it.  We know of every other detail of his life, it seems.

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 03:51:26 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I bet I could name more nice guys that dominated their sport than bad guys.  Ali, Orr, Gretsky, Manning, Russell... I don't think being mean is directly related to being the best.  Mike just happens to be a jerk.  

You do realize that Russ played vicious head games with people to get an edge.   Ali is the same and compared some of his opponents to animals.  Ty Cobb, was a real jerk but a great player.  Manning and Jordan publically called out team mates that underperformed.  Bobby Orr fought just like any other hockey guy you can goggled plenty of his fights.

You see the public image of these guys.  Good athletes like making other people look bad.   They like being the best.   You don't do that by being a gentleman.  Things guy like to win and dare I say dominate others.  It is the very essence of what makes them what they are.   They fear failure and abhor losing.   This is one reason that LeBron doesn't get it because I really don't think despite all his gifts he doesn't have this mentality.

Now go talk to your brother, Wally, Beav and drink a glass of milk....

Do you realize that there is a HUGE difference between on court competition and being an **** off court?  Manning calling out a teamate and Jordan cursing out a carwasher are toatally different. 

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 06:30:16 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I bet I could name more nice guys that dominated their sport than bad guys.  Ali, Orr, Gretsky, Manning, Russell... I don't think being mean is directly related to being the best.  Mike just happens to be a jerk.   

You do realize that Russ played vicious head games with people to get an edge.   Ali is the same and compared some of his opponents to animals.  Ty Cobb, was a real jerk but a great player.  Manning and Jordan publically called out team mates that underperformed.  Bobby Orr fought just like any other hockey guy you can goggled plenty of his fights.

You see the public image of these guys.  Good athletes like making other people look bad.   They like being the best.   You don't do that by being a gentleman.  Things guy like to win and dare I say dominate others.  It is the very essence of what makes them what they are.   They fear failure and abhor losing.   This is one reason that LeBron doesn't get it because I really don't think despite all his gifts he doesn't have this mentality.

Now go talk to your brother, Wally, Beav and drink a glass of milk....

Do you realize that there is a HUGE difference between on court competition and being an **** off court?  Manning calling out a teamate and Jordan cursing out a carwasher are toatally different. 

Not asking for anything even close to "gentleman".

Just no need to be a rude bag.

That's it.

Also, Lebron gets too much flack for making the right play, where as Kobe gets way too much glory for taking horrific shots and being "the man".

Edit: Wow, dooche gets filtered out but asshat is OK?

.edit: Please, mind the language. This is a family-friendly site.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:53:34 PM by Kiorrik »

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Jordan punched team mates in practice.   Russell would go to dinner with Wilt to get inside his head.  Manning did call out his team mates in the press off court.   SO I think you show ignorance of these matters.   I wonder how old you are?

I am not defending Jordan.   I have always thought he is a jerk.  I am simply saying that elite athletes are more often jerks than all smiles.  For every Tim Tebow there are 3 or 4 Romanowski or the like.   

They are competitive, enjoy making others look bad and oft privileged and adored.   Sometimes they try to hurt people like Kobe or Wade.  There is something in their psyche that wants to show they are alpha males or females and dominate their sport and others.  Not all pros are like this LeBron is not.  But some are and they even create items to get that chip on their shoulder out of nothing.

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Jordan punched team mates in practice.   Russell would go to dinner with Wilt to get inside his head.  Manning did call out his team mates in the press off court.   SO I think you show ignorance of these matters.   I wonder how old you are?

I am not defending Jordan.   I have always thought he is a jerk.  I am simply saying that elite athletes are more often jerks than all smiles.  For every Tim Tebow there are 3 or 4 Romanowski or the like.   

They are competitive, enjoy making others look bad and oft privileged and adored.   Sometimes they try to hurt people like Kobe or Wade.  There is something in their psyche that wants to show they are alpha males or females and dominate their sport and others.  Not all pros are like this LeBron is not.  But some are and they even create items to get that chip on their shoulder out of nothing.
I think you missed his point.  It is one thing to be a jerk in the professional setting and to professional athletes.  It is entirely another to be a jerk to a waitress, car washer, flight attendant, etc. 

To be truly elite you have to have such a gigantic ego and a mean streak, but that doesn't mean it has to carry over away from the professional world (and that goes for anything not just sports). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think you missed his point.  It is one thing to be a jerk in the professional setting and to professional athletes.  It is entirely another to be a jerk to a waitress, car washer, flight attendant, etc. 

To be truly elite you have to have such a gigantic ego and a mean streak, but that doesn't mean it has to carry over away from the professional world (and that goes for anything not just sports). 

Exactly. There's a huge difference between being competitive within the context of a game and being the same way in day-to-day life. By all accounts, Jordan is a sociopath, both on the court and off the court. With the others, it's tough to tell, because most of us just go off media reports or brief fan interactions. But when stuff keeps piling up like it has with Jordan, it starts to become pretty clear.

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
 I have lived in Wilmington, NC, Michael Jordan's home town for the past 12 years.  There are no statues of him here, no schools or streets or parks baring his name because he has always treated this community and it's people poorly.

We celebrate our sports celebrities here, just not Jordan nearly as much as people probably think. 

That's an interesting inside take. TP. I think his hall of fame speech was one of the most awkward moments in my recent memory. I think everyone was uncomfortable in that room listening to his bloated narcissistic view of himself. It was over the top. Even for Jordan.

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Naw, people don't change if they are hardcore off the court they can be hardcore off it.   Russell didn't like signing autographs for instance because he would rather shake hands and didn't want to sign something for someone who would not shake his hand as a matter of principal.  Didn't matter the case or the like, he would not do it.

I personally, do not like Michael Jordan and never did.   I hated the Bull's teams because it was not us.   But I could care less how he treats a waiter or service person.   I know how elite top dawgs are I have met a few of them and they view you as priveleged to be in their presence.   

Larry was not that way.  He tipped good.   But some of these guys are jerks on and off the court.  I don't put them on a pedastal and worship them.  They are men and flawed just like you or I although they have remarkable skill or talent.   

A lot of regular guys are mean to service people too.    I am always thankful for good service but if service is poor I too can be a jerk to them.    I don't cuss them out but I won't tip if service is bad.  I am lot bigger and more muscular than Jordan and taller but it is no excuse to act like a jerk.

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Jordan,  ouch!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:50:01 PM by ThaPreacher »
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »

Kiorrik

Everyone, mind the language please. Thanks.

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Come on now, look how good he was with kids.  (BTW that kid at :45 totally traveled)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AGiq9j_Ak
Yup