Author Topic: NBA Early 2000s (Webber, Kobe, KG, Iverson, TMac, Shaq, Vinsanity, Timmy, etc  (Read 20685 times)

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J_1aM5hr38

I take that early 2000s group over this new crop. They would demolish them.

Offline larrikin

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Great clip mate

I too prefer 92 - 2004 era over todays

Great song, it fit perfectly, though I would have tried to find an edited one so anyone who dislike swearing wouldn't be offend (not that I care, I drop F bombs myself).  I create athletic videos for a small university in Oregon and it has really opened my eyes up to that.

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
1. If Parish (a bench allstar at his time of 1980-1990) played in this decade, I think he would averaged at least 23/13/2 through 10 years.
2. If the Sac Kings of 2002 played in this year, I predict several 10W streaks.
3. If Shaq just got drafted in 08 at his young age, versus all these 'scrub' centers....33/14/4blks  ???
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

Offline larrikin

• Jaden Springer
I might disagree on Shaq, thou he is my favourite player of all-time, Stern and his rule changes has taken the big mans role in the NBA out.   

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Gotta disagree. So many of those players were more interested in dunking and crossing over and couldn't buy a shot.  Those players got ruined in the Olympics and had to bring in Coach K to get them back.

I'd take Durant, K Love, Rubio, CP3, Derron Will, B Griffin over those guys. God help me Lebron is also far far far better than quite a few of those guys. You can't possibly compare Lebron to Vinsanity or TMac

Remember wen TMac, KG, etc couldn't buy a playoff win? I do.

Offline HajonHondo

• Jaden Springer
Great video until you show the espn score thing at the bottom of the Carter clip.

Also i'd obviously like to see a bit more Pierce. He was in the ECF in '02... McGrady hasn't left the first round.

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Gotta disagree. So many of those players were more interested in dunking and crossing over and couldn't buy a shot.  Those players got ruined in the Olympics and had to bring in Coach K to get them back.

I'd take Durant, K Love, Rubio, CP3, Derron Will, B Griffin over those guys. God help me Lebron is also far far far better than quite a few of those guys. You can't possibly compare Lebron to Vinsanity or TMac

you can't be serious!

Top players skipped the Olympics. The USA team were that dominant where college Allstar team would manhandle international teams. Then euro influx happened raising competition level.

Tim Duncan(top 10 player alltime), Kevin Garnett (top 3 PF alltime), Kobe Bryant (Top 10 player alltime), Shaquille O'neal (top 10 player alltime) Ray Allen (Greatest shooter ever), Steve Nash(2 time MVP), Dirk Nowitzki (MVP, finals MVP), Dikembe Mutombo (2nd alltime in blocks), Paul Pierce, Chris Webber, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Vince Carter, Michael Finley, Baron Davis, Jermaine O'Neal, Ben Wallace, Jason Kidd, Stephon Marbury, Alonzo Mourning, Antonio McDyess, Latrell Sprewell, Allen Iverson, Grant Hill, Jerry Stackhouse.   

There were some knuckleheads like in any era.

But talent pool then > new crop. Its not even close.

edit: forgot a couple: Rasheed Wallace, Sam Cassell, Elton Brand....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:45:34 PM by Change »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Gotta disagree. So many of those players were more interested in dunking and crossing over and couldn't buy a shot.  Those players got ruined in the Olympics and had to bring in Coach K to get them back.

you can't be serious!

Top players skipped the Olympics. The USA team were that dominant where college Allstar team would manhandle international teams. Then euro influx happened raising competition level.

Tim Duncan(top 10 player alltime), Kevin Garnett (top 3 PF alltime), Kobe Bryant (Top 10 player alltime), Shaquille O'neal (top 10 player alltime) Ray Allen (Greatest shooter ever), Steve Nash(2 time MVP), Dirk Nowitzki (MVP, finals MVP), Dikembe Mutombo (2nd alltime in blocks), Paul Pierce, Chris Webber, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Vince Carter, Michael Finley, Baron Davis, Jermaine O'Neal, Ben Wallace, Jason Kidd, Stephon Marbury, Alonzo Mourning, Antonio McDyess, Latrell Sprewell, Allen Iverson, Grant Hill, Jerry Stackhouse.   

D Howard over several of those bigs. R Westbrook over several of those pgs. B Jennings over Starbury. Tyreke Evans over Baron Davis. John Wall has every ability to be a cruddy pg like Iverson. D Wade smacks Grant Hill and takes a dump on him while Grant smiles.  Al Horford beats Ben Wallace any day. I'm feeling good about Jeremy Lin. Melo is in Pierce's class. David Lee over A McDyess.  Derrick Rose over Steve Nash by a lot. Josh Smith or Danny Granger over Michael Finley. Marc Gasol. Kyrie Irving. And there are a lot of players still developing that are already good. Joakim Noah. Jrue Holliday. Stephen Curry. Eric Gordon. Brook Lopez. Loul Deng just went to his first all-star game. Roy Hibbert. Greg Monroe. James Harden. DeMarcus Cousins.  Batum.  And there are still some wild cards out there. Jimmer Fredette. Kyle Lowry. JaVale McGee. Serge Ibaka. Andrew Bynum. Jonas Valanciunus (aka best player in Europe today), Danillo Galinari, Ty Lawson, Kemba Walker

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

you can't be serious!

D Howard over several of those bigs. R Westbrook over several of those pgs. B Jennings over Starbury. Tyreke Evans over Baron Davis. John Wall has every ability to be a cruddy pg like Iverson. D Wade smacks Grant Hill and takes a dump on him while Grant smiles.  Al Horford beats Ben Wallace any day. I'm feeling good about Jeremy Lin. Melo is in Pierce's class. David Lee over A McDyess.  Derrick Rose over Steve Nash by a lot. Josh Smith or Danny Granger over Michael Finley. Marc Gasol. Kyrie Irving. And there are a lot of players still developing that are already good. Joakim Noah. Jrue Holliday. Stephen Curry. Eric Gordon. Brook Lopez. Loul Deng just went to his first all-star game. Roy Hibbert. Greg Monroe. James Harden. DeMarcus Cousins.  Batum.  And there are still some wild cards out there. Jimmer Fredette. Kyle Lowry. JaVale McGee. Serge Ibaka. Andrew Bynum. Jonas Valanciunus (aka best player in Europe today), Danillo Galinari, Ty Lawson, Kemba Walker

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

you can't be serious!

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Best era ever (Ok, so everyone thinks their childhood was the best era ever)

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
There were a lot more top tier stars back in early 2000 than there are now.

There was a lot more depth of very good to great players also back then.

If you bring up Jeremey Lin, Brandon Jennings and Ricky Rubio as some of your "today's stars" that doesn't show you much....only that there is an abundance of good point guards.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
There were a lot more top tier stars back in early 2000 than there are now.

There was a lot more depth of very good to great players also back then.

If you bring up Jeremey Lin, Brandon Jennings and Ricky Rubio as some of your "today's stars" that doesn't show you much....only that there is an abundance of good point guards.

Notice I brought up those guys and not Rondo. It's because unlike Iverson and Starbury I like my guys to be able to make a shot from time to time.  Granted Rubio can't but it's his rookie year. I'm projecting.

Also I didn't bring up Oden for the same reason I'm surprised he brought up Yao Ming

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

you can't be serious!

I don't get it. Is that Kenny Smith mooning me? Trying to figure this one out

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Early 2000 bigs(Franchise players)>2012 bigs(second fiddles)
Shaq/Duncan/Garnett/Nowitzki/Webber/R.Wallace>Howard/Bynum/Bosh/Griffin/Amare/Love

2012 wings(top heavy)<early 2000 wings(deeper)
LeBron/Wade/Durant/Melo<McGrady/Bryant/Carter/Iverson/Allen/Pierce/Ginobli

2000 points<2012 points(much deeper it seems)
Kidd/Nash/Marbury/Francis/Davis/Miller<Paul/Williams/Westbrook/Rose/Parker/Rondo