Author Topic: Clicking on topics in Latest Discussion no longer brings me to latest post  (Read 13544 times)

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Maybe this is just me, but something I've noticed the last few days.

When I used to click on a topic in the Latest Discussion sidebar, it used to bring me to the most recent post in the thread.  This was great for checking back in on threads I've already read to see the latest posts.

Recently though, this doesn't seem to be happening, instead now I go to the top of the most recent page in the thread.  Find this kind of annoying, mainly because I'm not used to it, but also because I believe the default setting is 15 posts to a page, so I'm continually doing a lot more scrolling just to see if a thread I've already read has been updated.

Clicked around in the settings, and don't see anything, but maybe I'm missing something?  I can change my defaults to show the most recent posts on top, but not the solution I'm looking for, as I'm used to reading top to bottom.  Don't want to change the way I read just for this site, just want to go directly to the latest post.

Clicking on a topic in the directory portion of the site, still brings me to the first post in the thread, which I'm fine with, just talking about accessing topics from the latest discussion sidebar.

The only semi-solution I've found is to click on the "Go Down" option in the upper left at the top of the page of a topic next to the page numbers, which brings me to the latest post.  But now it's an extra button click from what I'm used to and I'm lazy  ;)  (In reality not a big deal hitting the Go Down button, just something I have to get used to).

Is this problem only me?
Was it changed on purpose?
Is there a way to change it back on a user level?
Am I alone in preferring it the old way?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Noticed the same thing. It is aggravating

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
those danged first world problems!!!!!  >:(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
anyone else having issue with 'Fumble' ads anchored in the bottom right of the screen blocking out a portion of the thread they're trying to read?  continually closing the ad only lasts until I move up or down the screen.  extremely frustrating.

that and now there's a freaking twitter banner at the top of the screen where the topic path used to be.  can only navigate the topic path at the bottom of the screen now.  not an improvement

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
anyone else having issue with 'Fumble' ads anchored in the bottom right of the screen blocking out a portion of the thread they're trying to read?  continually closing the ad only lasts until I move up or down the screen.  extremely frustrating.

that and now there's a freaking twitter banner at the top of the screen where the topic path used to be.  can only navigate the topic path at the bottom of the screen now.  not an improvement

Yes, I also am getting Fumble ads with well-endowed women talking on mute. And have the banner you're talking about.

Just wanted to confirm it's not only you.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Hey guys, I will check on the navigation issue, that is definitely not intentional.

Regarding the Twitter button and video ads- can you do me a favor and let me know what browser you are using and ideally send me a screenshot? They should not be obscuring any content. The video should also not reopen from merely scrolling.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
Both nav issues should be fixed. I have an ongoing thread re: ad placements and will mention the sizing issues on Monday. This one is very much a trial TBD.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
Wow I suddenly see YouTube videos and Twitter posts again for the first time in years!

Edit maybe I spoke too soon.

Posting a youtube link here is doing nothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uF5k0S2cE0

But I see the YouTube video in this post by blink:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=102044.msg2764188#msg2764188

Edit 2, now the youtube video's up, I did nothing, just came back to this post and it was there.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:41:12 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wow I suddenly see YouTube videos and Twitter posts again for the first time in years!

Very strange...

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
Done. Many variations of these YouTube links.

Nice video =)!

Re: Clicking on topics in Latest Discussion no longer brings me to latest post
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 05:42:00 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
Done. Many variations of these YouTube links.

Nice video =)!

Thanks for the behind the scenes work, been a feature missing from this site for way too long.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Hey guys, I will check on the navigation issue, that is definitely not intentional.

Regarding the Twitter button and video ads- can you do me a favor and let me know what browser you are using and ideally send me a screenshot? They should not be obscuring any content. The video should also not reopen from merely scrolling.
I'm using Safari.  don't have an app to show a screenshot unfortunately

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 08:04:54 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Edit 2, now the youtube video's up, I did nothing, just came back to this post and it was there.

It looks like if you edit a post in the in-thread editor, it won't show up until you refresh.

That includes adding a link or adding more to your post after the link was already there (and working)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 08:41:07 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

I'm using Safari.  don't have an app to show a screenshot unfortunately
No problem, I think I see the issue. It depends on the browser width. The video is 400px wide and the right column is 30% of the screen... so if your screen is under 1300 pixels wide there is some overlap.

I tried hacking it to be more responsive now, I don't have a ton of control of the ad unit but see if it's better for you now.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

It looks like if you edit a post in the in-thread editor, it won't show up until you refresh.

That includes adding a link or adding more to your post after the link was already there (and working)

FWIW this one should have popped in after a software update on our end. The link detector wasn't seeing video IDs with an underscore character in them (I wrongly assumed based on a few examples that YouTube only uses letters and numbers)