Author Topic: Should the NBA consider adopting 2020 All Star Game format (4th quarter)?  (Read 3693 times)

Re: Should the NBA consider adopting 2020 All Star Game format (4th quarter)?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 03:08:56 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
No because then we can’t compare eras. It’s hard to do as is. Doing this would make it impossible. It would practically be a different sport with such a rule change

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 03:10:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I know it runs contrary to how its always been played, but if you think about it, the majority of basketball games played in this country have not been to a clock, but to a point total. Pick up games happen every single day without a clock. They are intense, competitive, and always, always end on a game-winning shot.

I think coaches and players would figure out how to abuse the new system as well, but a shakeup could be really fun.

Example?

The most common is done in pickup games, where a guy is about to score the game-winner and someone fouls him so they can't win. The idea of taking points away might help, or having a one-foul limit per player when a team is within a game-winning shot might help.

I guess I'm mostly assuming on the nature of man there. Everyone always is trying to find a way around the rules. Because it was the first game ever like that last night, no one had put a lot of thought into how to bend the rules. But someone will.

Fouls on break-aways, fouls to give, etc. are examples of that with out current system. The whole "we're down by two and they other team has the ball so we have to foul to extend the game" is an example of acceptable ways to manipulate the rules to benefit you. We're used to them by now, but they make for bad basketball.

As per the article above though

The foul on purpose would be detrimental in the elam format

Foul to give wouldnt really help, since there is no clock.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 03:12:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No because then we can’t compare eras. It’s hard to do as is. Doing this would make it impossible. It would practically be a different sport with such a rule change
I think it'd be a really good way to handle OT. No more double/triple overtimes isn't a bad thing. The cross-era impact would be minimal.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

yes

But it could make the games a whole lot more exciting, as we saw last night

Look at baseball and hockey how they are/have tweaked their format. It is working for hockey (overtime)

I dont see a downside at all at least incorporating this format in overtime

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
As long as we are talking changes to rules, I have weird one. What if a free throw was more like (not completely alike) a penalty shot in hockey, where all the teammates have to start on the opposite side of the court, but the person fouled has the ball at the three point line and the fouler has to defend them.

Refs begin the clock on the whistle and the foulee/fouler have about 2-3 seconds to make a play as the rest of their teams rush down to get involved. Another foul by the defender on the ensuing penalty shot play is a yellow card. Two yellows is a red or a disqualification. Yellows could also be what we call flagrant fouls today. The yellow card on the penalty shot would discourage defenders from fouling, which gives the offensive player a distinct advantage.

Combined with rules that have a point goal instead of a clock, when its gamepoint, anyone who fouls on a penalty shot is disqualified automatically. This keeps the game moving and still encourages the action of a game-winning shot, instead of a deadball free throw.

I think this encourages the game to be more free-flowing.

I, for one, do not like games that add foreign ways to score. I always disliked the extra point in football (or two point conversion). I always disliked penalty shots in soccer, but at least its a live ball after the shot. I don't love free throws in basketball.

The goal of penalties should not change the basic DNA of the game. They should penalize the offending team, yes. But they should not introduce foreign concepts into the game that change the momentum or flow.

My penalty shot solution could be cool to watch. Imagine Giannis fouling James on a game point, and it going to a one-on-one penalty shot for the game.

I have other ideas. I think basketball players should be allowed to take the ball out of bounds like soccer players do without the ref touching it, unless the refs blow the play dead to allow subs to come on (subs that have already checked in with the scorers table). That would encourage more uptempo play.

I think offensive players get away with far too much physicality. It is not a basketball move to dislodge a defender so you can get by him or get into a fadeaway.

I think defensive players should somehow be encouraged not to foul. 6 fouls per game does not encourage that. If offensive players had to tone down their physicality, I wonder if defensive players could as well while still making plays on the ball. I would not want to take away the excitement of the steal or blocked shot. I worry limited fouls per game would that. Therefore, I think you have to change the offensive players approach too.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 04:38:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
One rule change I was thinking about recently was - similar to the Charles Barkley / Mark Jackson back down rule where a post player can only back his man down for 5 seconds ... what if they brought in a similar rule for ball-handlers?

You can only dribble for 5 seconds. Call it the James Harden rule.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2020, 04:46:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I mean, if the NBA is looking to become the WWE of basketball leagues, sure. Any other MTV JockJams style rules people want to suggest?

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
One rule change I was thinking about recently was - similar to the Charles Barkley / Mark Jackson back down rule where a post player can only back his man down for 5 seconds ... what if they brought in a similar rule for ball-handlers?

You can only dribble for 5 seconds. Call it the James Harden rule.

In the frontcourt, right? Otherwise bringing the ball up gets a lot more complicated.

My rule change that nobody cares about is switching all the reset shot clocks to 16 rather than 14, because 14 was originally chosen based on 24 seconds - 10 seconds to cross midcourt, but that was switched to 8. Doesn't change much but does slightly advantage late game offensive rebounds.

I'd also like the court widened to make the 3 pt line uniform but lol at thinking they'll be eliminating/pushing back courtside seating.

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No it shouldn't
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2020, 06:26:42 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Point system to let's say 100 or some given number, and if both teams reach 99 points each then use the tennis ad-in/out system. So if the ad-in team has 100 points, their next point would be the W. Eliminate any free throw rules if they're just a point or two away.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2020, 06:35:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Maybe for the inseason tournament or whatever, if they ever create that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 07:55:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’ve seen both AFL, F1 and to an extent cricket go down the drain with stupid rule changes to try and make the sport more exciting. Really not for this at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I dont think so. We might have more players playing more minutes, and this could lead to more injuries.