Author Topic: Should the NBA consider adopting 2020 All Star Game format (4th quarter)?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So not the 1st three quarter format (reset to zero at the beginning of each quarter) but the 4th quarter format (+24).  And it would only be for the regular season, leaving the playoffs the way it is.

- It would result in many more exciting endings

- Coaches would to need to strategist the rotation differently

- 3rd quarter basketball could turn out to be the new 4th quarter we are used to watching

- Less potential involvement from the refs (ticky tack)

- It would get rid of regular season overtime

It's just an idea because it was so enjoyable to watch the process/intensity last night.   The only thing I didn't like was the game ending in FTs. 

yay ?

or nay? (just leave it to the all star game)

Re: Should the NBA consider adopting 2020 All Star Game format (4th quarter)?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 02:12:17 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I would love that.  The end of basketball games is awful to watch.  I hope they use the Elam ending again at next year's ASG and beyond and maybe it will eventually get serious consideration to become the way NBA (and maybe all levels of basketball) games end.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 02:27:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would love that.  The end of basketball games is awful to watch.  I hope they use the Elam ending again at next year's ASG and beyond and maybe it will eventually get serious consideration to become the way NBA (and maybe all levels of basketball) games end.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-all-star-game-2020-after-wild-elam-ending-you-cant-help-but-wonder-about-this-format-in-real-nba-games/amp/

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 02:32:12 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I know it runs contrary to how its always been played, but if you think about it, the majority of basketball games played in this country have not been to a clock, but to a point total. Pick up games happen every single day without a clock. They are intense, competitive, and always, always end on a game-winning shot.

I think coaches and players would figure out how to abuse the new system as well, but a shakeup could be really fun.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I know it runs contrary to how its always been played, but if you think about it, the majority of basketball games played in this country have not been to a clock, but to a point total. Pick up games happen every single day without a clock. They are intense, competitive, and always, always end on a game-winning shot.

I think coaches and players would figure out how to abuse the new system as well, but a shakeup could be really fun.

Example?

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
To fix the game ending in FT. This is the best idea I have seen

There are still kinks to work out. The free throw ending is one of them. A suggestion that has made the rounds on Twitter involves free throws removing points from the opponent rather than adding them to one's own score, thus ensuring a field goal as the game-winner.

I would add, that only when a team is 3 points away from winning this FT mechanism would be activated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:46:19 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 02:42:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

There are still kinks to work out. The free throw ending is one of them. A suggestion that has made the rounds on Twitter involves free throws removing points from the opponent rather than adding them to one's own score, thus ensuring a field goal as the game-winner.

I don't like the idea of removing points.  They will just keep fouling over and over again so long as it means the other team can't score the game-winning fg and the game will take forever to end.

I don't think a game ending FT is that terrible of a thing as people make it out to be.  We already see games end on free throws today, sometimes literally but more often effectively, and we accept it now.  We'd come to accept it if this version of the Elam Ending was implemented in the future.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I don't like the idea of removing points.  They will just keep fouling over and over again so long as it means the other team can't score the game-winning fg and the game will take forever to end.

I don't think a game ending FT is that terrible of a thing as people make it out to be.  We already see games end on free throws today, sometimes literally but more often effectively, and we accept it now.  We'd come to accept it if this version of the Elam Ending was implemented in the future.

I doubt teams will want to keep fouling and have their score reduced. Though if the FT shooter sucks, it could be end up an advantage

What about reducing the score up to 3 points max. Lose all remaining timeouts.  And if the fouling continues revert back to where FTs goes back to adding points. This means a higher probability the game ends with a FG

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The league should at least really consider this format for overtime (regular season)

Add 12 points

People need to sleep/beat traffic

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 02:59:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Free throws should absolutely end the game in any real competition.  The whole free throws can't end it is just a pickup thing. Which makes sense because you call your own fouls in pickup.

NBA games have been clinched by free throws forever, its not an issue.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Free throws should absolutely end the game in any real competition.  The whole free throws can't end it is just a pickup thing. Which makes sense because you call your own fouls in pickup.

Yes... but folks hate it

Because sometimes the refs decide the fate of the game
(when call is not clear)

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 03:02:30 PM »

• Paul Silas

Example?

The most common is done in pickup games, where a guy is about to score the game-winner and someone fouls him so they can't win. The idea of taking points away might help, or having a one-foul limit per player when a team is within a game-winning shot might help.

I guess I'm mostly assuming on the nature of man there. Everyone always is trying to find a way around the rules. Because it was the first game ever like that last night, no one had put a lot of thought into how to bend the rules. But someone will.

Fouls on break-aways, fouls to give, etc. are examples of that with out current system. The whole "we're down by two and they other team has the ball so we have to foul to extend the game" is an example of acceptable ways to manipulate the rules to benefit you. We're used to them by now, but they make for bad basketball.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 03:04:41 PM »

• Paul Silas

I get what you are saying, but I also see the argument from the other side. Free throws are the most boring way to win a game. They're anticlimactic at best. They're are a break in the actual flow of the game.

What pickup ball has going for it is that there is a game-winning shot every single game. That's pretty awesome, as long as taken fouls don't get absurd. 

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 03:06:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yes... but folks hate it

Because sometimes the refs decide the fate of the game
(when call is not clear)
No folks hate it because they think of it as a pick up game in the all-star context which is how the target score idea has been presented.

No one cares if free throws decide games currently, because NOT calling fouls also decides games just as much. "Swallowing the whistle"

Don't be reactive if you're being aggressive about changing the rules of the game, just stick to your guns.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I get what you are saying, but I also see the argument from the other side. Free throws are the most boring way to win a game. They're anticlimactic at best. They're are a break in the actual flow of the game.

What pickup ball has going for it is that there is a game-winning shot every single game. That's pretty awesome, as long as taken fouls don't get absurd.
You know what's really boring?

Letting an overrated grift merchant like Lowry tackle your center who had him beat for a cool dunk and let him get away with it because "free throws are boring".