Poll

Would you be interested in any of these players? Feel free to vote for as many players as you want.

Bismack Biyombo
16 (8.5%)
Andrew Bogut (currently playing in Australia)
5 (2.7%)
Trey Burke
5 (2.7%)
Allen Crabbe
3 (1.6%)
Jamal Crawford (free agent)
6 (3.2%)
Matthew Dellavedova
7 (3.7%)
Wayne Ellington
13 (6.9%)
Keneth Farried (free agent)
6 (3.2%)
Yogi Ferrell
2 (1.1%)
Tim Frazier (waived)
1 (0.5%)
Marcin Gortat (free agent)
3 (1.6%)
John Henson
8 (4.3%)
Amir Johnson (free agent)
1 (0.5%)
Tyler Johnson
5 (2.7%)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 (1.6%)
Brandon Knight
0 (0%)
Ian Mahinmi
6 (3.2%)
Joakim Noah (free agent)
7 (3.7%)
Zaza Pachulia (free agent)
0 (0%)
Isaiah Thomas
17 (9%)
Tristan Thompson
34 (18.1%)
Evan Turner
13 (6.9%)
Marvin Williams
17 (9%)
other (please name below)
2 (1.1%)
Jonah Bolden (waived)
2 (1.1%)
Reggie Jackson
0 (0%)
I'd rather we sign no one.
5 (2.7%)
DeMarre Carroll
1 (0.5%)
Dragan Bender (waived)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Poll: Buyout candidates, free agents  (Read 23848 times)

Re: Buyouts/Waived player possibilities
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 02:50:42 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Knicks To Discuss Buyout With Wayne Ellington

https://twitter.com/realgm/status/1225680774906568704?s=21
Ellington would be a nice addition. Get him, and I'm pretty happy with our roster.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 02:51:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Ellington would be a nice addition. Get him, and I'm pretty happy with our roster.
Agreed - he's a gunner who I'd be happy to have as an option off the bench.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 03:33:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Agreed - he's a gunner who I'd be happy to have as an option off the bench.
Wouldn't mind him at all. He always lit us up when he played in Miami.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Poll: Buyout candidates, free agents
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 05:30:46 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Okay, first off, get rid of all the free agents on that list, Bogut included. Danny has gone through over 60% of the schedule and could have signed any of them at any point and didn't. He isn't going to sign one now.

Second, get rid of all the small guards that are defensive liabilities. Burke, IT, Knight, Ferrell. Forget it, Danny isn't bringing in a small guy that can't guard a chair.

Now get rid of the guys that wouldn't make this team better in any way. So no Crabbe, Gortat, Henson, Johnson, Ellington, MKG. None of that's happening.

That leaves:

Biyombo
Mahinmi
Thompson
Turner
Williams.

Last I heard Washington really liked Mahinmi and he wasn't going to be bought out. Thompson is a Rich Paul guy and Rich Paul guys don't take buyouts so he probably won't be bought out and become available, unless Cleveland releases him. Him being bought out though is fluid, according to reports.

Count me completely against bringing back the clankathon that is Evan Turner. I am also completely against adding another Williams, we have our fill.

So I guess Biyombo, or Thompson if he is bought out which I don't think he will.

Mahinmi is the guy I like the most though.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't touch most of these guys with a barge pole. I just wanted to include plenty of options in the poll in hope of provoking conversation.

My targets would be Thompson, Marvin Williams, Biyombo and Mahinmi (in that order).

Thompson would be a great addition for this team! Imo, he'd be starting over Theis. I just don't think he would pick Boston over LA or even his native Toronto.

According to rumors, Danny was after Bertans + Christian Wood. Apparently, he believes we should upgrade the PF position. The C's could have a use for Marvin Williams. Right now, he's probably better than Semi/Grant. Having said that, I'm happy with Semi + Grant coming off the bench. They are bulldogs on D, plus they can hit an open 3 pointer.

I bet CBS doesn't like Biz. He's a terrific defender, but he's almost useless on offense. Possibly the worst offensive player in the NBA.

Mahinmi may have regressed a bit, but he'd still be a solid option to have off the bench.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:23:15 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 05:58:21 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Why would danny cut anyone to just sign a waived player? Sounds like Danny likes everyone on the roster currently

The obvious answer to your question is “to upgrade the roster.”

Do you think there’s no good in adding someone if it means we’d have to get rid of another guy (e.g. JaVonte Green or Waters)?

Oh boy. No need to cut Waters. He doesnt take up a roster spot.

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 07:44:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Okay, first off, get rid of all the free agents on that list, Bogut included. Danny has gone through over 60% of the schedule and could have signed any of them at any point and didn't. He isn't going to sign one now.

Second, get rid of all the small guards that are defensive liabilities. Burke, IT, Knight, Ferrell. Forget it, Danny isn't bringing in a small guy that can't guard a chair.

Now get rid of the guys that wouldn't make this team better in any way. So no Crabbe, Gortat, Henson, Johnson, Ellington, MKG. None of that's happening.

That leaves:

Biyombo
Mahinmi
Thompson
Turner
Williams.

Last I heard Washington really liked Mahinmi and he wasn't going to be bought out. Thompson is a Rich Paul guy and Rich Paul guys don't take buyouts so he probably won't be bought out and become available, unless Cleveland releases him. Him being bought out though is fluid, according to reports.

Count me completely against bringing back the clankathon that is Evan Turner. I am also completely against adding another Williams, we have our fill.

So I guess Biyombo, or Thompson if he is bought out which I don't think he will.

Mahinmi is the guy I like the most though.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't touch most of these guys with a barge pole. I just wanted to include plenty of options in the pole in hope of provoking conversation.

My targets would be Thompson, Marvin Williams, Biyombo and Mahinmi (in that order).

According to rumors, Danny was after Bertans + Christian Wood. Apparently, he believes we should upgrade the PF position. I'm high on Marvin Williams. Right now, Marvin Williams > Semi/Grant. Having said that, I'm happy with Semi + Grant coming off the bench. They are bulldogs on D, plus they can hit an open 3 pointer.

I bet CBS doesn't like Biz. He's a terrific defender, but he's almost useless on offense. Possibly the worst offensive player in the NBA.

Mahinmi may have regressed a bit, but he'd still be a solid option to have off the bench.

Thompson would be a great addition for this team! Imo, he'd be starting over Theis. I just don't think he would pick Boston over LA or even his native Toronto.
great thread Jvalin and great analysis by nick. If BB is better than Poirier, I think he fits this team as a playoffs insurance policy for RWIII who seems like he could be out a while longer.  Otherwise he doesn't move the needle much.

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
You HAVE to add Tristan Thompson if he becomes a buyout candidate.

I think he'd put the Celtics on top for a championship this year. Cut one of those first-year scrubs to make room for him!

This is the best possible scenario I think. Hopefully there's a change of heart with the Cavs' bosses and TT is eventually bought out.
Yeah among possibly buyout candidates, TT is the only one who might move the needle.

MODS: Please merge this thread with the "Poll: Buyout candidates, free agents" thread.

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 09:17:03 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
I guess the question that also needs to be asked is: who would you waive for your preferred buyout candidate? I'm guessing Poirier and Green would be the two candidates. Surely Edwards is young enough to be worth persevering with?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
My prediction is that Danny will choose "Other:".   As in no one.

I see no one on the buyout horizon that I believe Danny will think is worth cutting Poirier or Green for.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Thompson is almost a rich man’s Enes Kanter (significantly better on defense) tho his inability to shoot free throws is a problem. If we could get him it’d be great and we could fit him into platoons based on matchups.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Thompson is almost a rich man’s Enes Kanter (significantly better on defense) tho his inability to shoot free throws is a problem. If we could get him it’d be great and we could fit him into platoons based on matchups.
I would argue that Thompson is the polar opposite of Kanter.

Thomspon is a defensive minded big. Kanter sucks on D, but he thrives as a low post scorer (+ rebounder).

If anything, Thompson is a rich man's Theis.

I see no one on the buyout horizon that I believe Danny will think is worth cutting Poirier or Green for.
Not even Thompson?

Danny himself said that we'll pay “close attention” to the buyout market.

In any case, I edited the poll and added that option as well.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:59:09 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

He would certainly make the Celtics better,  more active than Drummond ,   lets Kanter and Theis heal up .    no longer would be pushed around under the basket ...yes KO /Zeller  you wusses

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 11:14:17 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I would be happy with Mahinmi or Biyombo.  Or Marvin Williams.  I voted Biyombo.

Due to the C's having excellent wings, those three are good enough in the catastrophic case of one or two of our bigs going down with injury, that we still get to fight on instead of just forfeiting.
And they are good enough to get some minutes regardless of injury.

Edit:  adding Marvin would have the nice twist of re-uniting Kemba with a long term teammate...an old vet it would be nice to see playing in games that matter...(just a side story and not actually important...

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:29:44 AM by wiley »

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2020, 11:59:21 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Thomspon is a defensive minded big. Kanter sucks on D, but he thrives as a low post scorer (+ rebounder).

Not even Thompson?

How in the heck is Thompson a rich man's Theis? Theis can shoot from the outside, TT cannot. Theis isnt ideal defending post players, Thompson is good in that area. Theis is very good in switches, TT gets killed there. Theis is average rebounder, TT is very good there, esp on the offensive end. Theis is the better shotblocker while TT isnt really known for that.

Knowing you, this is a shot at Theis. TT is a useful player to have, but your statement is just plain wrong.

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 12:38:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Not even Thompson?

I predict Thompson will not be bought out.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.