Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 355075 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #510 on: November 21, 2016, 12:11:12 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I wish Ainge had managed to get Butler. I wonder how much the Bulls asked for before it just became effectively a way of saying they're not trading him.

« Reply #511 on: November 21, 2016, 12:18:07 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wish Ainge had managed to get Butler. I wonder how much the Bulls asked for before it just became effectively a way of saying they're not trading him.

The rumor was Crowder, #3, #16, and another starter-level player.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #512 on: November 21, 2016, 12:24:40 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

The rumor was Crowder, #3, #16, and another starter-level player.
and this years brooklyn pick

« Reply #513 on: November 21, 2016, 12:25:56 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Minnisota has an oddly disproportional record vs net rating. They currently are at 4-8 but have a net rating of +1.7. Weird.

« Reply #514 on: November 21, 2016, 02:37:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Did anyone else see that ridiculous controversial ending to the Raptors/Kings game last night? The Raptors got absolutely screwed. Even if time did run out after Boogie touched the ball with the clock malfunction, Ross got screwed over, because he played the clock as it was. He would've put the shot up sooner had the correct time been up, but the refs didn't even replay it. Another major failure in the refs/NBA's part, and this is like the fifth wrong call in these types of situations that the Raptors have had to suffer over the last several years.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/11/how-raptors-responded-controversial-finish-game-against-kings

« Reply #515 on: November 21, 2016, 02:58:34 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Did anyone else see that ridiculous controversial ending to the Raptors/Kings game last night? The Raptors got absolutely screwed. Even if time did run out after Boogie touched the ball with the clock malfunction, Ross got screwed over, because he played the clock as it was. He would've put the shot up sooner had the correct time been up, but the refs didn't even replay it. Another major failure in the refs/NBA's part, and this is like the fifth wrong call in these types of situations that the Raptors have had to suffer over the last several years.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/11/how-raptors-responded-controversial-finish-game-against-kings

So do you think they should have counted the shot? Or just replayed the last 2.4?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #516 on: November 21, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
It's only 9 games, but seriously watching Embiid as a rookie reminds me of being a kid watching Shaq on the Magic.  I collected all of Shaq's rookie cards.  It was exciting seeing a new NBA phenom big man appear in the league. 

Embiid's (So far) Per-36: 29.4 points, 13.68 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 3.6 blocks, with 49%/50%/78% shooting.

Shaquille's Rookie Per-36: 22.2 points, 13.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 3.4 blocks, with 56%/0%/56% shooting.

It's really incredible considering Embiid has missed 2 years of basketball.  It's going to be really interesting to see if he can stay healthy and what kind of production he'll have if he lasts long enough to have his minutes restriction lifted.  What I've seen so far is unreal.  Watching Anthony Davis as a rookie was amazing.  Karl Towns was better.   Embiid, in what little he's played, has been on that level at the very least.

Shaq, Chuck and Kenny referred to Embiid as a taller Chris Webber.  What do you think of that comp?

Change your username to Jul1us 3rv1ng please. It makes sense for the content of your posts B-)
I already admitted I post as JulErvg06 on SixersBlog.com and spend all my time whining about how good D'Angelo Russell is.

Honestly though... Aside from Golden State becoming everyone's daddy for the next 5-10 years, Joel Embiid is by far the story of the season so far.  A few months ago people were telling me they wouldn't trade RJ Hunter for him and scoffing when I suggested he was a Rookie of the year candidate.  Fans here claimed he'd go late 1st in a 2014 re-draft.  9 games later, look where we are.  It's been fun to watch.  For the sake of the league, hopefully he stays healthy.

Lol, do you have any proof of this comment? It seems like you are baiting to me. Love Embiid though. He's a monster and could be better than any big man in the game. Doesn't remind me of Shaq at all though. He reminds me of Hakeem.

« Reply #517 on: November 21, 2016, 03:10:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

So do you think they should have counted the shot? Or just replayed the last 2.4?

I think at the very least they have to replay the last 2.4. It was the Kings time keeper who screwed up, and they apparently said it was .1 seconds too late, which is an incredibly small margin for error. It's not fair to Ross and the Raptors to have them under a false impression of how much time they have to work with then penalize them for not making it in time after the fact.

That's clearly a situation where you replay the final possession. The NBA will be forced to admit their mistake and apologize to the Raptors again, but at some point enough has to be enough for them. I think they legitimately got screwed on three of these types of calls made year that the NBA admitted, too.

« Reply #518 on: November 21, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I think at the very least they have to replay the last 2.4. It was the Kings time keeper who screwed up, and they apparently said it was .1 seconds too late, which is an incredibly small margin for error. It's not fair to Ross and the Raptors to have them under a false impression of how much time they have to work with then penalize them for not making it in time after the fact.

That's clearly a situation where you replay the final possession. The NBA will be forced to admit their mistake and apologize to the Raptors again, but at some point enough has to be enough for them. I think they legitimately got screwed on three of these types of calls made year that the NBA admitted, too.

Yeah, that ref report today will be interesting to say the least (they do that for regular season games, right?)
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #519 on: November 21, 2016, 04:15:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's only 9 games, but seriously watching Embiid as a rookie reminds me of being a kid watching Shaq on the Magic.  I collected all of Shaq's rookie cards.  It was exciting seeing a new NBA phenom big man appear in the league. 

Embiid's (So far) Per-36: 29.4 points, 13.68 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 3.6 blocks, with 49%/50%/78% shooting.

Shaquille's Rookie Per-36: 22.2 points, 13.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 3.4 blocks, with 56%/0%/56% shooting.

It's really incredible considering Embiid has missed 2 years of basketball.  It's going to be really interesting to see if he can stay healthy and what kind of production he'll have if he lasts long enough to have his minutes restriction lifted.  What I've seen so far is unreal.  Watching Anthony Davis as a rookie was amazing.  Karl Towns was better.   Embiid, in what little he's played, has been on that level at the very least.

Shaq, Chuck and Kenny referred to Embiid as a taller Chris Webber.  What do you think of that comp?

Change your username to Jul1us 3rv1ng please. It makes sense for the content of your posts B-)
I already admitted I post as JulErvg06 on SixersBlog.com and spend all my time whining about how good D'Angelo Russell is.

Honestly though... Aside from Golden State becoming everyone's daddy for the next 5-10 years, Joel Embiid is by far the story of the season so far.  A few months ago people were telling me they wouldn't trade RJ Hunter for him and scoffing when I suggested he was a Rookie of the year candidate.  Fans here claimed he'd go late 1st in a 2014 re-draft.  9 games later, look where we are.  It's been fun to watch.  For the sake of the league, hopefully he stays healthy.

Lol, do you have any proof of this comment? It seems like you are baiting to me. Love Embiid though. He's a monster and could be better than any big man in the game. Doesn't remind me of Shaq at all though. He reminds me of Hakeem.
I don't want to call anyone out specifically because it's rude, but one poster made that comment.  Another said the #23 pick was "fair value for Embiid".    Another said "Embiid at this point isn't worth the #3 pick in any way, shape or form."  Another poster said "There is absolutely no chance that Embiid will be a rookie of the year candidate." after I referred to him as a wildcard R.O.Y candidate.   If Embiid stays healthy and keeps this up, a lot of folks here will look silly. 

« Reply #520 on: November 21, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The NBA rulebook is clear on the procedure for what to do when the clock starts late.  The ruling will be based on the actual time and not what the clock shows.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #521 on: November 21, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
The NBA rulebook is clear on the procedure for what to do when the clock starts late.  The ruling will be based on the actual time and not what the clock shows.

But how is that fair for the Raptors? If the clock shows a second more than the true time, then it influences the decision-making of the player on when to shoot, as happened in this situation. Ross would've put it up sooner if the true time would've been up there. But since it wasn't up there, he was under a false impression, which ended up screwing him with regard to the actual time.

It's clear that the fairest and most proper thing to do should've been to replay the possession, regardless of the rule book. I'd be throwing a major fit about that if I'm the Rsptors, because that could ultimately cost them playoff positioning in a tighter Eastern conference.

« Reply #522 on: November 21, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I don't want to call anyone out specifically because it's rude, but one poster made that comment.  Another said the #23 pick was "fair value for Embiid".    Another said "Embiid at this point isn't worth the #3 pick in any way, shape or form."  Another poster said "There is absolutely no chance that Embiid will be a rookie of the year candidate." after I referred to him as a wildcard R.O.Y candidate.   If Embiid stays healthy and keeps this up, a lot of folks here will look silly.

I don't really think anyone here looks silly, although there are obviously going to be a few people that worded their stuff poorly.

However, the consensus with Embiid was always that if he got healthy and didn't have ongoing issues he would be a very good player. I really don't recall a single person saying their comments like "I think he will be totally healthy, but I think he is going to be an awful player for his career cause he lacks mobility or can't shoot." There were a bunch of people that doubted he could ever stay healthy because he missed two full seasons and also couldn't finish his single season of college. I think it is fair to have those doubts after what happened (and obviously the 76ers did and Embiid himself admitted he also did at points in his recovery).

You've invented this idea that people thought Embiid would be a crappy player when healthy. If people said stuff like they wouldn't trade the 23rd pick for him it was because he would never be able to play. What I actually remember the most is people saying a trade would never happen because there was a huge catch 22. If Philadelphia was willing to trade us him, it meant his injury history really was screwing him over and he wouldn't be worth trading for. If they weren't willing to trade him it meant he was on track and was going to be a beast.

It would also be cool to just enjoy watching him play, which the majority of people on here have said they do, without the constant "told you so" and "everyone was wrong" jabs. It isn't really doing anything for anyone and in reality it is not even accurate.

Edit: Also most people thought he wouldn't contend for ROY cause it seemed like he would get enough minutes.

« Reply #523 on: November 21, 2016, 05:16:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

But how is that fair for the Raptors? If the clock shows a second more than the true time, then it influences the decision-making of the player on when to shoot, as happened in this situation. Ross would've put it up sooner if the true time would've been up there. But since it wasn't up there, he was under a false impression, which ended up screwing him with regard to the actual time.

It's clear that the fairest and most proper thing to do should've been to replay the possession, regardless of the rule book. I'd be throwing a major fit about that if I'm the Rsptors, because that could ultimately cost them playoff positioning in a tighter Eastern conference.

I agree that enforcing the letter of the law 100% of the time is not always fair, whether we are talking about sports or politics.  However, from the league's perspective, they need a very good reason to be motivated to throw out the rule book, because if they make an exception here, then they will be questioned any other time they don't bend or break the rules to address perceived unfairness, leading to accusations of bias.

Next time, the Raptors should try playing better so it doesn't come down to the last shot.

« Reply #524 on: November 21, 2016, 09:34:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The sixers have won 4 in a row at home.  Good news for the brooklyn pick.  Embiid continues to dominate.  Somewhere Hinkie is smiling down from a Starbucks in heaven.