Author Topic: Celtics (43-28) at 76ers (46-25) Game #72 3/20/19  (Read 35838 times)

Re: Celtics (43-28) at 76ers (46-25) Game #72 3/20/19
« Reply #555 on: March 20, 2019, 10:18:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Sounds like Baynes will likely be our 4-6 weeks. Cs need to get an upgrade over him in the offseason. This guy is literally made of glass and so injury prone this year. This team ain’t going anywhere with Theis getting playoff minutes.

so he is injured again??

Danny can still sign someone but I'm not sure if there are any decent Bigs out there....

« Reply #556 on: March 20, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I know Kyrie scored a lot of points tonight, but he wasn't very efficient, and the ball doesn't seem like it moved very well if we only had 22 assists on 46 made buckets.  We made 11 more baskets than Philly, and Philly had more assists than us.

I don't think having Kyrie shoot 30 times a game and Brown and Smart combining for 7 shots  is likely to be good for our team as a whole.  That said, Embiid shooting 21 fts is probably what killed us tonight.  Too much fouling, not enough good def in the post?

Full disclosure, I didn't watch tonight's game, these observations are just from the stats.

Pretty much sums it up. Kyrie was good statistically, but not efficient in the final minutes of the 4th quarter
And was a sieve on defense that led the Sixers back into the game. Brad should've subbed in a defensive lineup to grind out the game.

Yes, Kyrie defense was bad tonight as well. Especially on those last 2 buckets by Butler.
He gave up at least ten points to Butler in the final five minutes of the game.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #557 on: March 20, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Kyrie taking responsibility for the loss because of missed shots at the end
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #558 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I get a kick out of when your narrative isn't totally supported, "The haters are out." It's so 2019ish.

you mean your narrative? that we are better without kyrie or he sux? and we should keep terry instead?  LOL

Consider this - Instead of Kyrie - a brilliant offensive player and not much else - we add a starting playmaker deluxe point guard and a knock-down shooter off the bench - both guys team players and solid defenders. You telling me that would not be a better fit with the other players and their style, not to mention the Coach's system being better served ?
Who are these players and how are we getting them?

Rubio and Redick are examples and we could have traded Irving at the deadline for these type of players.
Since that is no longer an option, figure out how to acquire them this summer - be easier than obsessing over Davis.
If that is your answer then yes I think we’d be massively worse off, and DA would be chased out of town for that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #559 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I get a kick out of when your narrative isn't totally supported, "The haters are out." It's so 2019ish.

you mean your narrative? that we are better without kyrie or he sux? and we should keep terry instead?  LOL

Consider this - Instead of Kyrie - a brilliant offensive player and not much else - we add a starting playmaker deluxe point guard and a knock-down shooter off the bench - both guys team players and solid defenders. You telling me that would not be a better fit with the other players and their style, not to mention the Coach's system being better served ?

Rubio and Redick are examples and we could have traded Irving at the deadline for these type of players.
Since that is no longer an option, figure out how to acquire them this summer - be easier than obsessing over Davis.
Wow two sieves for one lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #560 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:47 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

^this. We're stuck with Kyrie for better or worse, and we need to find a way to maximize the talent around him while retaining his individual excellence. That lies on the coaching imo, and so far it's been meh.

This idea of " find a way to get Irving and the youngsters to play better together is getting real old and is not going to happen - it's like beating your head against a wall. Kyrie is a square peg on this particular team, never mind his destructive moodiness, which will crop up again soon enough.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #561 on: March 20, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I know Kyrie scored a lot of points tonight, but he wasn't very efficient, and the ball doesn't seem like it moved very well if we only had 22 assists on 46 made buckets.  We made 11 more baskets than Philly, and Philly had more assists than us.

I don't think having Kyrie shoot 30 times a game and Brown and Smart combining for 7 shots  is likely to be good for our team as a whole.  That said, Embiid shooting 21 fts is probably what killed us tonight.  Too much fouling, not enough good def in the post?

Full disclosure, I didn't watch tonight's game, these observations are just from the stats.

Pretty much sums it up. Kyrie was good statistically, but not efficient in the final minutes of the 4th quarter

that is a fair statement

it sure beats the narrative by some here who say we are better without kyrie and the keep terry instead crowd LOL

now was kyrie the only one who may have hampered us at the end???????

NO

we lost tonight due to many reasons.

As long as he's a Celtic, I'll always be an admirer of Kyrie and his game. But tonight was not his highlight reel for certain.

« Reply #562 on: March 20, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I know it's not entirely his fault (no one expects him to be able to guard Butler) but he should take responsibility for letting Butler absolutely Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. on him in the final five minutes of the game as well.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #563 on: March 20, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

^this. We're stuck with Kyrie for better or worse, and we need to find a way to maximize the talent around him while retaining his individual excellence. That lies on the coaching imo, and so far it's been meh.

This idea of " find a way to get Irving and the youngsters to play better together is getting real old and is not going to happen - it's like beating your head against a wall. Kyrie is a square peg on this particular team, never mind his destructive moodiness, which will crop up again soon enough.
Man, for as much crap as you give me for being very pro-Kyrie, you really work your hardest to make everything his fault
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #564 on: March 20, 2019, 10:23:54 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

There are ways to get around that-draw up plays for the youngsters instead of ignoring them and stashing them in the corner, play with bigger lineups for better team defense around Irving, and try to avoid situations like this game where Irving got targeted on switches (sub him out and just sit on that 5-8 point lead with defense and targeting Redick).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #565 on: March 20, 2019, 10:25:19 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Honestly I know many people are wrist slitting about this loss but I'm not as upset about it. We lost Baynes, Smart, were without Hayward, got juked on free throw attempts to the tune of 43-16 where they got 39 points (26 more than us) at the line and it took a couple of defensive miscommunications at the end and a last second Butler circus 3 to beat us. I can live with them, including Kyrie, missing shots at the end. The main thing I think they need to fix is the defensive lapses at the end, the Sixers got 6 points uncontested at the rim in the last 3 minutes because of those switching miscommunications. Those have plagued our team all season and put a blemish on what is otherwise a good team defense for us. I still think we beat these guys in a 7 game series, home court advantage or no.

And that free throw disparity, Ainge should be sending the league a "please explain" on that.

« Reply #566 on: March 20, 2019, 10:25:45 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I know it's not entirely his fault (no one expects him to be able to guard Butler) but he should take responsibility for letting Butler absolutely **** on him in the final five minutes of the game as well.

HAPPY NOW? LOL

or will you be better if he walks?

this loss was due to many factors

stop melting kid
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #567 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:14 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I know it's not entirely his fault (no one expects him to be able to guard Butler) but he should take responsibility for letting Butler absolutely **** on him in the final five minutes of the game as well.

Oh he took responsibility for that too. I posted my comment while the interview was still happening. He shielded his teammates from a lot of blame.

« Reply #568 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:25 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
why are you guys complaining Cs were down 3 players.

Because they still could've won, and still SHOULD'VE won. Awful defense down the stretch, Irving missed two bunnies, and Butler suddenly got hot.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #569 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Honestly I know many people are wrist slitting about this loss but I'm not as upset about it. We lost Baynes, Smart, were without Hayward, got juked on free throw attempts to the tune of 43-16 where they got 39 points at the line and it took a couple of defensive miscommunications at the end and a last second Butler circus 3 to beat us. I can live with them missing shots at the end. The only thing I think they need to fix is the defensive lapses at the end, the Sixers got 6 points uncontested at the rim in the last 3 minutes because of those switching miscommunications. Those have plagued our team all season and put a blemish on what is otherwise a good team defense for us.

And that free throw disparity, Ainge should be sending the league a "please explain" on that.
I'm probably more worried about how static the offense looked in the latter half of the fourth quarter-it was all the PG running pick and rolls with Horford and never passing the ball to Jaylen posting up on Redick/open Tatum. Also how Kyrie got abused by Butler but that's more of a substitution issue.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA