Poll

Will he

Yes
49 (94.2%)
No
3 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Will Grant Williams give us more production than Semi/Yabu? (poll)  (Read 3659 times)

Re: Will Grant Williams give us more production than Semi/Yabu? (poll)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 06:31:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Considering where in the draft he was picked, the players still on the board at the time that the C's realistically might have selected instead, and the overall quality of the player selected, Yabu stands as the single worst draft pick in the Ainge era.  It won't take much for Williams to be a substantial upgrade.
Don't discount the awfulness that was the Fab Melo, James Young, RJ Hunter, JR Giddens and JaJuan Johnson picks. That Yabusele pick has some major competition for worst Ainge pick ever.
yabusele was at #16
fabulous fab #22
james young #17
rj hunter #28
jjj #27
giddens #30

given the draft range, i forgive the choice of fab, rj, giddens, and jjj. anything after 20 is throwing darts pretty much.

so, whose suckocity is more pronounced? yubusele or james young? hmmmm.... my money to finish first in the suck-derby is young over yabusele. but, as ever, ymmv.

that JJJ pick is still cringe worthy .  I don't think CBS will allow,him to be. THAT  wrong again.   I actually trust CBS more than Danny ...  Cause as a none power college coach he had really search hard and understand hidden talent ,  and recognizes people who are good hard working kids ...or else he d never turned that college program he ran into anything.
Since hiring Brad Stevens we’ve selected the following players outside the top 6 in the first round:

James Young, Terry Rozier, RJ Hunter, Ante Zizic, Guerschon Yabusele, and Robert Williams

Not great

Expand that to include 2nd founders and you have Jordan Mickey Marcus Thornton Ben Bentil, Semi, Kadeem Allen and Jabari Bird
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »

Offline DarrenTillis

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Considering where in the draft he was picked, the players still on the board at the time that the C's realistically might have selected instead, and the overall quality of the player selected, Yabu stands as the single worst draft pick in the Ainge era.  It won't take much for Williams to be a substantial upgrade.
Don't discount the awfulness that was the Fab Melo, James Young, RJ Hunter, JR Giddens and JaJuan Johnson picks. That Yabusele pick has some major competition for worst Ainge pick ever.
yabusele was at #16
fabulous fab #22
james young #17
rj hunter #28
jjj #27
giddens #30

given the draft range, i forgive the choice of fab, rj, giddens, and jjj. anything after 20 is throwing darts pretty much.

so, whose suckocity is more pronounced? yubusele or james young? hmmmm.... my money to finish first in the suck-derby is young over yabusele. but, as ever, ymmv.

I chose Yabu over Young mainly because Young was a 5-star recruit, a final 4 all-tourney member, and many of us had the same reaction as Bill Simmons famous caught-on-film reaction immediately after he was picked.  Seemed like a sensible pick at the time.  Given his age and skill set, few people would have guessed that he had already peaked by the time we drafted him. 

In contrast, Yabu was a **** pick at the time and - apart from some half-hearted "The French Draymond Green" proclamations after he was picked - expectations were always low for this guy and he has managed to fall short even of those. 

Certainly Young was a bad pick and definitely in the conversation for the worst Ainge pick ever, but, for my money, Yabu was even worse.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 06:56:31 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Considering that a toaster oven gives more production than Yabu… yes he should.

But a 6'6 power forward.  Where have we seen this before.  Oh yeah, that guy we drafted from France. 

Will drafting a height challenged power forward actually pan out this time?

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 06:59:50 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Considering that a toaster oven gives more production than Yabu… yes he should.

But a 6'6 power forward.  Where have we seen this before.  Oh yeah, that guy we drafted from France. 

Will drafting a height challenged power forward actually pan out this time?
6'7.5 according to the draft combine

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 12:38:15 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
yabusele was at #16
fabulous fab #22
james young #17
rj hunter #28
jjj #27
giddens #30

I chose Yabu over Young mainly because Young was a 5-star recruit, a final 4 all-tourney member, and many of us had the same reaction as Bill Simmons famous caught-on-film reaction immediately after he was picked.  Seemed like a sensible pick at the time.  Given his age and skill set, few people would have guessed that he had already peaked by the time we drafted him. 

In contrast, Yabu was a **** pick at the time and - apart from some half-hearted "The French Draymond Green" proclamations after he was picked - expectations were always low for this guy and he has managed to fall short even of those. 

Certainly Young was a bad pick and definitely in the conversation for the worst Ainge pick ever, but, for my money, Yabu was even worse.
I think Yabu comes with a bit of context that drivers the title to James Young.

Yabusele (and Zizic for that matter) were guys who had to be willing to be stashed for a year. I think that softens the blow enough to make Young the worst first.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 03:29:24 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
yabusele was at #16
fabulous fab #22
james young #17
rj hunter #28
jjj #27
giddens #30

I think Yabu comes with a bit of context that drivers the title to James Young.

Yabusele (and Zizic for that matter) were guys who had to be willing to be stashed for a year. I think that softens the blow enough to make Young the worst first.
No, no it doesn't

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2019, 07:27:48 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yabu was a reach that Danny could have done later in that draft.  Everyone wants the next Draymond, and it may not be out there, just like the next Magic and Bird wasn't (Remember Michael Smith).

As for Semi, again, looking for the next Draymond.  Didn't make it at Duke, transferred to SMU (basketball powerhouse).

They poll should have been, which gives us more, Semi or Yabu.  LOL

I'll take Semi in that one....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2019, 07:40:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Young had a smooth style and nice shot release .  I was charlie brown and kept running at those kickoff holds.   ;D

Yabu never seemed like a good pick to me .  But i thought he played better than Young for   LOL for what thats worth..

I forgot about Jordon Mickey .   that was easy to do BTY . ;D

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2019, 07:41:28 AM »

Offline DarrenTillis

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Yabu was a reach that Danny could have done later in that draft.  Everyone wants the next Draymond, and it may not be out there, just like the next Magic and Bird wasn't (Remember Michael Smith).

As for Semi, again, looking for the next Draymond.  Didn't make it at Duke, transferred to SMU (basketball powerhouse).

They poll should have been, which gives us more, Semi or Yabu.  LOL

I'll take Semi in that one....

Ugh...thanks for the unpleasant memories re Michael Smith.  The parallels between that brilliant draft pick and the Kelly Olynyk selection are uncanny.  At least Olynyk turned out to be a serviceable NBA player though.