Poll

What do you think of sign stealing?

Ok with me, catcher's job to make sure hitters aren't on to his signs.
5 (71.4%)
Cheating, goes against the spirt of the game.
0 (0%)
Up to the players, if you have a problem with it, police it in game.
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Sign Stealing: Gamesmanship or Cheating?  (Read 2735 times)

Sign Stealing: Gamesmanship or Cheating?
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWYrmcSDAU&feature=player_embedded

So, i'll put myself out their, i find nothing wrong with what mauer is doing. To me, that's on the catcher to figure out (which to be fair, the tigers catcher does)

Wondering what the general perception of this activity is though, among my fellow sports fans, anything wrong with giving your hitter the heads up?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Sign Stealing: Gamesmanship or Cheating?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's gamesmanship.  Its been going on since baseball's inception.

I've always considered it part of the game.  Heck, we used to try and figure out the 3rd base coach's signals in little league. 

You're just trying to gain a little competitive advantage.  It probably could be construed as cheating but the fact its been going on so long and seems to be acceptable makes it hard to get fired up about, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's part of the game. Always has been, always will be.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I voted its up to the players.  I dont personally have a problem with it, but if you as a player have a problem with it.  Drill the guy the next time hes up. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:42:49 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
i'm ok with it.  Every team does it, and it is on the pitcher and catcher to deal with it. 

I do have a problem when some teams use camera's placed at various parts of the stadium to help with it (there have been accusations about this...)

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
If it's against the rules it's cheating. I don't know what the rules say. I am 100% against unwritten rules. Why it's okay to scuff a ball, or why spitballers are fondly remembered for avoiding detection but steroid users are condemned...i don't like the blurry distinction, it smacks of favoritism and non-objectivity.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
baseball bores the crap out of me, but I don't think there is anything wrong with this.  I don't follow the sport at all, but logically it seems the catcher could probably figure it out, signal the pitcher in some other way and use it to their advantage... then the hitter is expecting a curve, but gets a fast ball instead. 

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
i'm ok with it.  Every team does it, and it is on the pitcher and catcher to deal with it. 

I do have a problem when some teams use camera's placed at various parts of the stadium to help with it (there have been accusations about this...)
As long as they're not using camera's and other support staff to try and do it I'm fine with it. If you get a player on second he should be trying to help out!

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

As long as they're not using camera's and other support staff to try and do it I'm fine with it. If you get a player on second he should be trying to help out!

+1.  If there's someone on second, maybe your signs shouldn't be "1 for a fastball, 2 for a curve."  Guy expects a curve, gets an inside fastball, that'll learn him.  As long as there's no extra equipment being used, no cameras or guys behind centerfield with binoculars, it's all good.