Author Topic: Bronson Arroyo on Supplements  (Read 3189 times)

Bronson Arroyo on Supplements
« on: August 13, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Re: Bronson Arroyo on Supplements
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4396083&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

I thought it was a great read.

He's asking for trouble, though.  If he's taking supplements that haven't been cleared, he's basically asking for a long suspension.  If a guy like Arroyo gets tagged, it very well could be the end of his career.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 02:43:56 PM »

Offline hankfinkel

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 36
Arroyo'a honesty is somewhat refreshing until you get to the drinking and driving part.  No Bronson, taking supplements and going out on the road intoxicated are not the same category.  Perhaps he meant a sub-intoxication level of alcohol use, but it did not come out great.

Other than that, as far as supplements, amphetamines, even some steroid use, his attitude is probably what most players is when they are not talking publically.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
refreshing honesty.  good quick read.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Arroyo'a honesty is somewhat refreshing until you get to the drinking and driving part.  No Bronson, taking supplements and going out on the road intoxicated are not the same category.  Perhaps he meant a sub-intoxication level of alcohol use, but it did not come out great.

Other than that, as far as supplements, amphetamines, even some steroid use, his attitude is probably what most players is when they are not talking publically.

I agree that the drinking and driving thing was pretty dumb.  It's kind of scary whenever you hear people talking about drinking and driving and say "everyone does it at least once a year".  No, they don't.

But overall, it is refreshing to have someone be honest about this stuff (or at least a little more honest...he may just be covering up for the fact that he was actually on something worse).  

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Clearly not everyone drives while drunk and that was not what Bronson was implying, he was just saying "most people" who drink still drives after a beer or a glass of wine "at least" once a year.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Clearly not everyone drives while drunk and that was not what Bronson was implying, he was just saying "most people" who drink still drives after a beer or a glass of wine "at least" once a year.

See, I didn't read it as that; I read it as "everyone drives DRUNK." 

On the one hand, it's nice to hear some honesty...  but on the other, Arroyo sounds like an idiot in this piece.  If he gets a 50 game ban, it'll be his own [dang] fault.  THAT's pretty selfish; he could be unavailable to his team for two months because he doesn't want to be bothered to follow the same list of approved stuff that everyone else follows now.  If I were his teammate and his nonchalant attitude got him suspended, I would be RIPPED.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »

Offline indyceltic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4396083&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

I thought it was a great read.

He's asking for trouble, though.  If he's taking supplements that haven't been cleared, he's basically asking for a long suspension.  If a guy like Arroyo gets tagged, it very well could be the end of his career.

Bronson's career was over when he was traded to Cincinnati just like Ken Griffey Jr.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 08:07:59 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
“People don’t own teams to lose money. If you ask any owner whether they would rather make $20 million and come in last place or lose $20 million and win a World Series, there’s only one guy who honestly would take that championship: George Steinbrenner. Nobody else.”

one of the five greatest athlete quotes I have ever seen, good for you Bronson

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
“People don’t own teams to lose money. If you ask any owner whether they would rather make $20 million and come in last place or lose $20 million and win a World Series, there’s only one guy who honestly would take that championship: George Steinbrenner. Nobody else.”

one of the five greatest athlete quotes I have ever seen, good for you Bronson

I don't think it's true, though.  Lots of owners lose money on a fairly regular basis.  If you asked Mark Cuban if he'd rather make $20 million, or win a title and lose $20 million, I'm sure he'd take the championship.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I would rather have a guy be honest anyday then pretend there is nothing going on. He seems like one of the few people to address the topic as an adult with valid explanations. In particular I like how he points out that everyone is so quick to demonize these guys now, but who is going to be there when Manny is 50 dollars and his kidneys are shot.